Going To Jamaica

ggrr8t

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
Any way to use this phone with hotel wi-fi and not get stuck with some crazy bill? New to droids so not sure. I was told by some, even turning on the phone in Caribbean will jack up my bill.

Just a Guy

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
I don't think they can charge you for just having your phone on. If your worried though keep it in airplane mode which keeps your radios off and you can still use WiFi.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Any way to use this phone with hotel wi-fi and not get stuck with some crazy bill? New to droids so not sure. I was told by some, even turning on the phone in Caribbean will jack up my bill.
Just set your phone to disallow Roaming Data (Menu | Settings | Wireless and Networks | Mobile Network(s) | Data Roaming [unchecked]). Then turn on Wifi. No issues. I've used this recently in Mexico without any problems at all. You can continue to use it for roaming voice (if voice is supported in Jamaca) no problem.

-Frank

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
yeah, turn off data roaming, and you'll be fine. you won't be charged anything if the phone is on and you aren't using any voice or data.

ALCingularUser

May 17, 2011
Visit site
The easiest solution is to put the phone into airplane mode. This will turn off all radios in the phone. Once you do that, you can re-enable wi-fi and only use that.

Before you go, you might also want to grab an app called GrooVe IP. It uses Google Voice to make free VoIP calls to any U..S. or Canadian number. If you don't already have a Google Voice number, get one set up, as you'll need it. The app's instructions will tell you how to properly configure your Google Voice account to work with it. GrooVe IP is $3.99 in the Market. I've seen it cheaper on Amazon, but app updates tend to lag behind what the Market offers.

Hope this helps.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2