Clearing data to sell Phone

zig123

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
I have a HTC Thurderbolted running Android 2.3.4 and HTC Sense 3.5 . It's a good phone and is in great condition. I want to sell it already rooted. Sense 3.5 is better than stock Gingerbread. Of course I want to be sure to remove all personal data info first. Normally I would do a factory reset but have read "No! If you have a rooted phone and a custom ROM, you should NEVER do a factory reset. You will brick your phone that way." Now I wouldn't sell anyone a bricked phone; I have a 100% rating on ebay.
So if this is true what's the best way to remove personal data and not "brick" the phone??

Zig

clickclick#AC

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
That is entirely false you can factory reset all you want when you perform a factory reset you are merely formatting the /data partition which you would normally do before you install a ROM the ROM should be just fine but if your really that worried about it just make a quick n android backup before you format

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums

SellnCLT85

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
I believe the caution with custom ROMs is to not to accept an OTA. Rooting is the same principal, but it is dependent on what apps you removed.

IMO its best when selling your phone, to put it back to stock. Depending on the ROM, it may not allow the phone to activate a SIM card. This may not always be the case it's just my experience.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2