Getting refurb but got my TB working like new

rolo99

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
I have a TB that was formerly rooted. One day last week it stopped connecting to my home wifi network, just kept saying, "obtaining IP address". Did the same thing at the free wif at Starbucks. I looked all over the internet and none of the solutions I found seemed to work. Called Verizon and told them I did 3 factory resets (which I did) and nothing worked. The person at Verizon said I'm elgible for a refurb TB under the extended warranty I purchased. They asked if I've changed the software. "Oh no!", said I. ;) They are overnighting me a refurb TB that should be here today. Since I'm elgible for an upgrade on 12/14/12, they offered it to me then, but I said I'd like to try the refurb TB while I research what I want.

Soooo...I spent a couple hours last night unrooting and factory resetting my phone. Accidentally erased my SD card but there's nothing critical on it. So now that my TB is unrooted and back to stock, it's super fast again AND connected to the wifi. Go figure!

I'm debating between the S3 and the Razr Maxx HD for my next phone. Hubby just got the S3. It seems way too big for me. I LOVE the size of the battery in the Maxx HD.

braxtoq

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like my recent experience, I.was having data drops, called and the Verizon csr told me HTC was aware of the issue and would be releasing a software update sometime. He said not all TB's were having the problem and suggested I factory reset. I told him I had performed numerous factory resets, and that I was rooted and had the problem with all roms. Of course he said they would charge me.if I returned a rooted phone for warranty replacment. Well, I derooted and had data drops repeatedly while reloading apps, but after I called Verizon back and convinced the csr to replace my TB with a like new one, my phone has worked better than I can remember!

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

mightyfacundo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I have a TB that was formerly rooted. One day last week it stopped connecting to my home wifi network, just kept saying, "obtaining IP address". Did the same thing at the free wif at Starbucks. I looked all over the internet and none of the solutions I found seemed to work. Called Verizon and told them I did 3 factory resets (which I did) and nothing worked. The person at Verizon said I'm elgible for a refurb TB under the extended warranty I purchased. They asked if I've changed the software. "Oh no!", said I. ;) They are overnighting me a refurb TB that should be here today. Since I'm elgible for an upgrade on 12/14/12, they offered it to me then, but I said I'd like to try the refurb TB while I research what I want.

Soooo...I spent a couple hours last night unrooting and factory resetting my phone. Accidentally erased my SD card but there's nothing critical on it. So now that my TB is unrooted and back to stock, it's super fast again AND connected to the wifi. Go figure!

Which rom were you using?

mightyfacundo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
That's odd. I've been using TShed 1.6 for a while now, but I haven't experienced this problem. Not that that means anything though. If I've learned anything, it's that our Bolts react differently to different ROMs. However, and just because I'm curious, did you do a full wipe before flashing it? (wipe data, cache, dalvik, and then format everything except the sd card) Also, when you flashed it, did you flash gapps and gtalk at the same time as the ROM? or did you let the ROM load and then go back and flash them?

Sorry for all of the questions. I'm just one of those people that likes puzzles and likes to get to the bottom of things if I can. Thanks.

rolo99

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
I did a full wipe when going to 1.5, and to 1.6. Flashed the ROM, rebooted then flashed Gapps. Got my refurb TB yesterday (missed delivery on Fri). Nice to have a real power button again, but I miss root. Not sure if I'll do it, since I'm considering getting a new phone next month.

That's odd. I've been using TShed 1.6 for a while now, but I haven't experienced this problem. Not that that means anything though. If I've learned anything, it's that our Bolts react differently to different ROMs. However, and just because I'm curious, did you do a full wipe before flashing it? (wipe data, cache, dalvik, and then format everything except the sd card) Also, when you flashed it, did you flash gapps and gtalk at the same time as the ROM? or did you let the ROM load and then go back and flash them?

Sorry for all of the questions. I'm just one of those people that likes puzzles and likes to get to the bottom of things if I can. Thanks.

rolo99

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
I did a full wipe when going to 1.5, and to 1.6. Flashed the ROM, rebooted then flashed Gapps. Got my refurb TB yesterday (missed delivery on Fri). Nice to have a real power button again, but I miss root. Not sure if I'll do it, since I'm considering getting a new phone next month.

mightyfacundo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Very strange, but it reinforces my belief that our Bolts are kind of schizophrenic. One Bolt will behave differently from another on the same ROM, some people had way too frequent reboots after the MR2 update while others didn't, and I still can't get WiFi to work consistently on the ROMs based on the ICS leak even though most people have no problem with this. I'm kind of eyeing the DLX, but I've become concerned with HTC's build quality because of these things. (Plus, I'm not sold on getting a phone with a non-removable battery and only 16GB of memory) I might just wait until SGS4 comes out.....

In any event, thanks again for the feedback, and I hope your replacement phone works great for you! :)

rolo99

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
No problem. Thanks for trying to puzzle it out. One of the biggest things I miss about Thundershed is the volume wake function. My power button was getting really crappy, so I was using the volume buttons. Now that I have a refurb with a working power button, I still find myself trying to wake the screen with the vol button. *sigh* I'm currently eyeballig the Razr Maxx HD, which seems similar to the SG3, but smaller and with a bigger battery. Hubs just upgraded from Iphone4 to GS3. Loves the big screen, doesn't like the big size. It and the upcoming Note are way too big for me. I'm tired of carrying chargers everywhere I go and being the last to get the formerly latest software.

Very strange, but it reinforces my belief that our Bolts are kind of schizophrenic. One Bolt will behave differently from another on the same ROM, some people had way too frequent reboots after the MR2 update while others didn't, and I still can't get WiFi to work consistently on the ROMs based on the ICS leak even though most people have no problem with this. I'm kind of eyeing the DLX, but I've become concerned with HTC's build quality because of these things. (Plus, I'm not sold on getting a phone with a non-removable battery and only 16GB of memory) I might just wait until SGS4 comes out.....

In any event, thanks again for the feedback, and I hope your replacement phone works great for you! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress