MissingSync vs SyncMate w/iMac if don't want a google account?

Tryn2getaclu

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the post Alex. I had not realized you were with Eltima. I have not yet purchased an Android device (considering Thunderbolt). I am just doing homework at this point and trying to learn about these products. Such product information will be pivotal in my decision to get an Android device or not.

I have to say, it is not comforting to call a company looking to learn about a product and not getting any call back. I am not talking about product support (for which I can appreciate free email vs paid live). I am talking about product information. While I certainly appreciate your making your email available - there is something discomforting about a company that does not want to talk with potential customers and provide details. Had I not posted here, I would never have received your responses and offer to email with me.

I will certainly look further into your links and continue to consider your product. However, when you are one of only two readily available such products (I am learning there may be one or two others - like myphoneexplorer), with little exposure/presence/activity on the forums (like these and yours), not returning calls to potential customers really is not very comforting to customers.

Please understand, I do not intend to sound harsh but I am an avid researcher and I have found this process very daunting. Neither Eltima nor M.S. will return calls or speak directly with potential customers. This is truly a shame as there are many people with concerns about Android syncing, privacy and other potential personal information issues/potential-fears about pushing so much information thru the Google server.

It seems to me there is a HUGE potential opportunity here for a company - such as Eltima - to step up and make themselves available to the public to educate customers about the REALITIES of these issues and to explain how a product such as this can make customers more comfortable. I have been researching these possible issues surrounding Android for a few weeks now and still have not been able to find any reliable answers - mostly fanboys that make posts like "just decide if the cloud and android is right for you or not". Obviously, such does absolutely nothing to help the uninformed about the realities of the google server, what (if any) exposures exist when pushing so much personal data thru their server, or in any way help people to actually decide "if for you or not". However, Eltima IS in a position to bring customers such information and possible comfort but they prefer to not speak with their potential customers.

I appreciate the free version is an opportunity to try a smaller version of the product and it is a good way for people to get a taste. But, it does not help customers to understand what and/or which, if any, info still may get backed-up on google and/or help people to understand what steps, settings, etc they can do to increase their comfort levels. Eltima and M.S. are in a unique position to offer customers comfort and confidence by simply answering questions and explaining.

Thanks again for your offer to email with me and I'll probably be in touch soon (if I continue to consider Android).

prim8

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
It sounds like when you bought something from that online seller you created a google account and now your computer is using that for your docs. I think that is a browser setting not some nefarious plot by google.

Tryn2getaclu

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
It sounds like when you bought something from that online seller you created a google account and now your computer is using that for your docs. I think that is a browser setting not some nefarious plot by google.
Thanks Primate. But this is only one single ingredient in a mysterious recipe. The further I dig into what I will call (for lack of a better/realistic term) "big-brother(ish)" appearance, the less actual information I uncover. It seems that everyone is happy to jump on the open source wonder ride of Android while seemingly turning a blind eye towards the unanswered issues.

I am not looking for anyone to guarantee anything but I have been looking/researching for intelligent explanations/answers to the questions about what is truly happening when using Android and Google. There are many articles that discuss the "privacy" issues, geo-tracking, malware warnings, etc. But there is an apparent lack of any definitive overview which might explain - in layman's' terms - potential digital tracking, potential risks, potential personal exposures, etc. People also laugh off malware warnings and yet these warnings appear regularly in the New York Times, ABC News and more (try searching "Android malware"). Many people in these forums seem to want to think this these warnings are all "media hype" and these are all less likely than spacemen landing.

It seems that Android offers many wonderful features and options (customization, apps not bound by excessive restrictions, etc) but it also seems that few - if any - want to look into any possible consequences of these added options. Those who know seem to either not want others to know or don't want to admit what they know. Those who don't know seem to either not want to admit that they don't know and/or don't want to find out as they may fear such knowledge might change their enthusiasm about the benefits. I am not a fear monger or conspiracy theorist but I am surprised that I can find no reasonable information about how much of our personal activities are somehow getting tracked and/or recorded - regardless of who may or may not have access to such information. I am more troubled by the absence of actual and verifiable information than I am by the potential answers themselves. Finally, the general consensus seems to be "try it" to see if for you or not. To me, that smells a bit like a drug dealer saying "here, try a free sample". People see all the wonderful bells and whistles and get so impressed that they seem to not care if their bathroom breaks are possibly being recorded somewhere.

The digital age is upon us and it is obvious that the cloud is eventually inevitable. It is the steps between the analog age and the fully digital age that concern me. I am merely "tryn2getaclu" and find myself continually bumping up against informational dead-ends.

Last edited:

prim8

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
I don't claim to understand all that might be going on here but I have a couple things to add.
The malware that I've seen reported was a background app that wasn't really malware. People thought it was because it asked for a access to something unusual but if I recall correctly the developer had a reasonable explanation.
Which brings me to the feature if the app store where before you download an app it tells you what functions of the phone it will have access to.
If you're not comfortable with an app look for a different one that might not access whatever is bothering you.
The only other reports of harmful apps have seen haven't been seen in the wild but lookout reported that they know about it and can detect it.
Lookout is an antivirus app for android.
As far as tracking you I don't think they are doing any more tracking than they would be doing if you used their search engine.

Reactions: Tryn2getaclu

Tryn2getaclu

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Primate - very nice help! If you come up with any more...

I've been looking for ways to feel more comfortable as I seriously consider entering the Android world (TBolt would be my 1st). Unfortunately, the apparent lack of readily available info and/or guidance has been less than encouraging. These links, and hopefully more like these, are providing some of the information I have been looking for and consider very worthy of further circulation.

To all following - please keep information like this circulating. The more we learn, the less we are likely to promote googleye syndrome.