Searching contacts by company

kman74

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I'm loving my TB, with the exception of searching my contacts. On my BB, I was able to start a search by first letter and it would return both people names and company names. On my TB, when I want to search for someone, I can only get it to return people names. I have several contacts for one company and would like it to show me everyone in that company when I start a search. Example, I want to find John Doe at HTC. I want to search by "H" and have it return everyone at HTC.

Is this possible or am I missing something on the search function?

Thanks all

project.in.process

May 18, 2010
Visit site
this is indeed possible, using the Search Function from the home screen

what you need to do is edit the Contact Information to include the Company Name (like HTC)

People>John Doe>Menu>Edit> scroll down to the ORGANIZATION field, enter the company name (HTC) >Save

now Search for that contact by entering in the Company name in the search field.
"HTC"
and you should see your contact entry for JOHN DOE with HTC highlighted beneath it.

just tested it, it works--so you should get the same result.

hope it helps!

Last edited:
Reactions: FrankXS

paulmike3

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
this is indeed possible, using the Search Function from the home screen OR the People function
This does not work in the People app. I verified it works from the home screen, however (although you do get way more results than you're looking for, since it searches all kinds of stuff and not just your contacts). You can limit what it searches in settings, if you wanted.

project.in.process

May 18, 2010
Visit site
This does not work in the People app. I verified it works from the home screen, however (although you do get way more results than you're looking for, since it searches all kinds of stuff and not just your contacts). You can limit what it searches in settings, if you wanted.

thank ya--updated my post to reflect

swamp

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Much better solution:

Use the google "search bar".

This is the one that comes at the top of the screen one screen to the left of the main screen. It is 1 position high by 4 wide with the white lwer case "g" on blue background. If not already selected in the pull down choose settings and check People. Then when you want to find all contacts at company ABC just choose people in the pull down type ABC and by the time you get to just the AB you will have a complete list of all contacts at that company and a click gets you to their complete details. Very fast very robust. I can barely believe the standard search in the People app is so terrible and does not do this.

Reactions: chshrkt

chshrkt

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
This was driving me crazy, coming from the Palm platform (Centro), I too couldn't believe the contacts/People search functionality was so awful, thank you for pointing out the settings function on the google search bar.

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
You can also create groups. Its the second tab on the bottom of the contact screen. Then go to edit a contact... groups... and add it to the group you want.

pals0007

May 14, 2011
Visit site
I too came from BB, at miss this function, the best workaround I have been able to find is download DW dialer from the marker place. this will allow you to search by company, in either people or in the dialer. the only stupid thing is you have to use a third party app, when Google should have included something this simple into the OS,

robrecht

Pretty good member
Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
This is helpful, but I also want to be able to search my notes in my Contacts like we used to be able to do in Windows Mobile. Can't do this in Touchdown either.

Thanks, Robrecht

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
This is helpful, but I also want to be able to search my notes in my Contacts like we used to be able to do in Windows Mobile. Can't do this in Touchdown either.

Thanks, Robrecht

I use notes heavily too. The notes editing capability of the TBolt people app is pathetic. Two lines visible at a time. Really bugs me since all my notes are entered on the go, on my phone.

-Frank

Sent from my HTC ThunderBolt 4G/LTE using Tapatalk

danrw

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
I also agree the People search and Google search is deficient on the Android phone. On my PC - web - Google Contacts - I can enter 'landscape' and it finds the company 'Summit City Landscape Supply' in my contacts. But my HTC Inc 2 phone cannot find that contact in that way. I disable the web search and app search so it will only searches People and it will not find it. I tried * as a wild card but to no avail. The only way it can find that company is to start with Summit ... What if I can't remember the exact spelling of the company? Any suggestions?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123dzo