Extended battery drained SO quickly...why?

nate44

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Hello everyone... Im a new to android and the thunderbolt is my first android phone... so far i love it with the exception of the battery life... so as suggested i picked up an extended battery but for some reason i am not getting the battery life i expected out of it... if i take the phone off the charger at 8am by 4-5 pm its dead... i read this whole thread and it seems some people are getting 20+ hours and im not getting anything close to that...

I have downloaded several apps such as angry birds,astro, lookout, advanced task killer, documents 2 go, ekey, facebook, free music download, goggles, keyring, LTE onoff, movies, run keeper, and trip advisor every other app on the phone are the stock apps that came pre installed from verizon... however i rarely use any of the apps and when i do i close them out or at least i believe im closing them out properly ( previously a blackberry user ) the only apps that i believe are running are advanced task killer and lookout... is that was causing it to drain so drastically... i mean i literally had it plugged in at my office until it was at 100% i unplugged it and withing 15 mins it was at 89% makes absolutely no sense to me...

Im a newb when it comes to Android so Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Task killers are not needed with this OS, you should uninstall them. You exit apps properly using the arrow button.

This phone comes preloaded with programs that will drain your resources and thus kill your battery if you do not disable them. The blockbuster app is a primary culprit. What you can do is update the app, and then go to menu- settings- disable movie updates. Then reboot the phone.

There are sticky threads here devoted to battery tips and problems. That should get you started on the right track.

Reactions: Realestatepro

Realestatepro

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
Yea you absolutely have something running in the background cause I unplug my stock battery at 7:30am and can text, talk, surf a little get a few apps and by the time I go to the gym at 11:30 I am 89%. Try going to MENU>SETTINGS>ABOUT PHONE>BATTERY>BATTERY USE and see what is the most battery. My buddy has an extended battery and has been on it constantly and can make it all day long. By the time he gets home at around 8:00pm he is at 30%.

OK i went to the battery use screen and this is what it says:

Display 65%
Android System 9%
Android OS 4%
Plugin Sample 4%
Com.HTC.Launcher 3%
Bug Report 3%
Cell Standby 3%
Calendar 3%
Dialer 2%
Android Live Wallpapers 2%

thats all it shows... are these normal numbers? is my display supposed to use that much??

Thanks in advance for your help...

Task killers are not needed with this OS, you should uninstall them. You exit apps properly using the arrow button.

This phone comes preloaded with programs that will drain your resources and thus kill your battery if you do not disable them. The blockbuster app is a primary culprit. What you can do is update the app, and then go to menu- settings- disable movie updates. Then reboot the phone.

There are sticky threads here devoted to battery tips and problems. That should get you started on the right track.

Thanks i didnt know that a buddy of mine has an android with Tmobile and he suggested i download the task killer because it would help me save battery but i went ahead and un-installed it...

I also went ahead and did what your said with the blockbuster app so ill see if that helps however i dont use the app nor do i want it but cant figure out how to uninstall it... i assume this is a fixed app that cannot be uninstalled?

thanks im def gunna go read up on those stickys! thanks for your help!

RetiredJedi

Jul 13, 2010
jedi-soljah.iwarp.com
OK i went to the battery use screen and this is what it says:

Display 65%
Android System 9%
Android OS 4%
Plugin Sample 4%
Com.HTC.Launcher 3%
Bug Report 3%
Cell Standby 3%
Calendar 3%
Dialer 2%
Android Live Wallpapers 2%

thats all it shows... are these normal numbers? is my display supposed to use that much??

Thanks in advance for your help...

Yea the display seems to be the biggest percentage and all the others are low (this seems to be normal) but your setup is different than mine so you'll have things on there that aren't on mine. I don't use live wallpaper, have my display brightness at 40%, and turned off my auto synch so that things will synch when I want them too. I also did the Blockbuster "removal" a long time ago and I don't use any type of juice defender beta or task killer and can go all day at work with my stock battery. If your extended battery losses that much juice in 15 minutes then there is something big running in the background. One of the experts on here will help you figure it out, just keep refreshing this post.

Reactions: Realestatepro

Realestatepro

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
Yea the display seems to be the biggest percentage and all the others are low (this seems to be normal) but your setup is different than mine so you'll have things on there that aren't on mine. I don't use live wallpaper, have my display brightness at 40%, and turned off my auto synch so that things will synch when I want them too. I also did the Blockbuster "removal" a long time ago and I don't use any type of juice defender beta or task killer and can go all day at work with my stock battery. If your extended battery losses that much juice in 15 minutes then there is something big running in the background. One of the experts on here will help you figure it out, just keep refreshing this post.

Thanks for your help im def going to have to adjust my settings thanks again!:)

nate44

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
I also went ahead and did what your said with the blockbuster app so ill see if that helps however i dont use the app nor do i want it but cant figure out how to uninstall it... i assume this is a fixed app that cannot be uninstalled

You only can get rid of all the preloaded crap if you're rooted. There's an 'Auto Root' now upstairs in the rooting/hacks section which makes it really easy, but I would familiarize yourself with the Android system for a couple more days before deciding to do that.

Realestatepro

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
You only can get rid of all the preloaded crap if you're rooted. There's an 'Auto Root' now upstairs in the rooting/hacks section which makes it really easy, but I would familiarize yourself with the Android system for a couple more days before deciding to do that.

Ah ok makes sense... ya i keep seeing people talk about rooting im assuming this is similiar to jail breaking a phone or removing verizon's handcuffs...

aside from being able to delete the preloaded crap are their any other advantages or disadvantages to rooting it?

Thanks again for all the help and knowledge it is greatly appreciated!

nate44

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Ah ok makes sense... ya i keep seeing people talk about rooting im assuming this is similiar to jail breaking a phone or removing verizon's handcuffs...

aside from being able to delete the preloaded crap are their any other advantages or disadvantages to rooting it?

Thanks again for all the help and knowledge it is greatly appreciated!

Here's a good write up on rooting.

http://www.androidcentral.com/rooting-it-me-some-qa

This phone has an incredible development community, and rooting is the best thing I could of done for this phone. Endless customization with roms, and great battery savings with kernels.

There's some very good guides here on how to get started with all of that, but like I said before take some time getting familiar with the OS before you venture off into the dark side. It's not for everyone. ;)

Realestatepro

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
Here's a good write up on rooting.

http://www.androidcentral.com/rooting-it-me-some-qa

This phone has an incredible development community, and rooting is the best thing I could of done for this phone. Endless customization with roms, and great battery savings with kernels.

There's some very good guides here on how to get started with all of that, but like I said before take some time getting familiar with the OS before you venture off into the dark side. It's not for everyone. ;)

So i went ahead and followed Cory Streater's Sticky on how to root using ADB and was able to root my phone in about 30 mins...however what now? i have root access but whats the advantage aside from having ADMIN like permissions? I read that it would improve battery life but i'm still getting crappy life out of my extended battery took it off the charger at 11 am today and its 5pm and i'm down to 37% :confused:

Droid_Evo_8

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
So i went ahead and followed Cory Streater's Sticky on how to root using ADB and was able to root my phone in about 30 mins...however what now? i have root access but whats the advantage aside from having ADMIN like permissions? I read that it would improve battery life but i'm still getting crappy life out of my extended battery took it off the charger at 11 am today and its 5pm and i'm down to 37% :confused:

U can now follow Cory's guide on how to remove bloatware now that you're rooted.

One of the things that can help you out on your battery now that you're rooted is to install SetCPU and make some changes from there.

Realestatepro

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
U can now follow Cory's guide on how to remove bloatware now that you're rooted.

One of the things that can help you out on your battery now that you're rooted is to install SetCPU and make some changes from there.

Lol been trying to remove bloat ware for an hour now but cant seem to get root explorer to let me mount as R/W :confused:

nate44

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site

Rooting alone will not improve your battery life, and removing bloatware will not improve it much either. What does have the biggest impact on the battery is the kernel.

If you flash a custom rom like one of Adrynalyne's BAMF versions, it will include an optimized kernel, and remove the bloat for you. There are many other different kernels out there as well, either standalone or coupled with a rom. It will require you to also have an app called SetCPU for it to run properly.

Read up on How to Backup, Restore & Install ROMs from Cyber Warrior to get started.

There is also an updated radio out now too, so you will have to take some extra steps to update that as well once you install one of Adrynalyne's roms.

PM me if you have any questions

Chrisy

Banned
Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
My extended battery drained faster than normal today, in 13 hours.

I just cheeked Blockbuster app and saw that the movie update was enabled again. I previously had it disabled. So check that too.