AnandTech Reviews the HTC ThunderBolt

SoDev

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Read a little... save the rest for lunch. Haven't read a review since purchase week. Good stuff.

Bearly

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Brian Klug is a BOSS. I've been bugging him on Twitter about the review. Its a great read.

Anandtech sets the standard with its reviews.

Guys, please tweet or post the review on your Facebook so it gets traffic!

I like to show reviewers that their efforts wont go unappreciated.

Sent with my thumbs.

JakesPrePlus

Mar 21, 2009
Visit site
Brian Klug is a BOSS. I've been bugging him on Twitter about the review. Its a great read.

Anandtech sets the standard with its reviews.

Guys, please tweet or post the review on your Facebook so it gets traffic!

I like to show reviewers that their efforts wont go unappreciated.

Sent with my thumbs.

Will do. I'll Tweet it now. And you're right, we definitely need to let them know that they're appreciated. What's their Twitter handle?

pheatton

Mar 30, 2010
Visit site
Just finished the review. Great insight on the internal design of the phone. Very cool to see that HTC went the route they did with the radios. Looks like the Thunderbolt will be the only phone to do voice and data in a 3G coverage area on Verizon.

Bearly

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Will do. I'll Tweet it now. And you're right, we definitely need to let them know that they're appreciated. What's their Twitter handle?

Brian Klug - smartphone reviewer
@nerdtalker

Anand Shimpi - editor
@anandshimpi

Anandtech - main site
@anandtech

Sent with my thumbs.

VideoEngineerAJS

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Toward the end of the first page they mention the thickness of the Thunderbolt. I don't know about you, but to me the Revolution looked like the thickest LTE phone coming out and it's the one with the lowest specs.

Last edited:

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
The one important thing that I learned from this review is that it looks as though the ThunderBolt is gonna be the only device in the foreseeable future that supports simultaneous Voice and Data. Interesting. I guess that is why VZW was not that keen on advertising this feature.
-Frank

VideoEngineerAJS

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
The one important thing that I learned from this review is that it looks as though the ThunderBolt is gonna be the only device in the foreseeable future that supports simultaneous Voice and Data. Interesting. I guess that is why VZW was not that keen on advertising this feature.
-Frank

That is odd that they didn't want to advertise it though. I mean any area that has LTE capable towers will have SVDO capability as well and they said they want to get LTE nationwide by the end of 2012. So you would think they would want to advertise that.

Also most towers that will have LTE within the next year, they probably already have SVDO capability.

paulmike3

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
This makes me a sad puppy. BGR sets his devices facedown on cement alot too. Just because it's a demo unit sent to you for free, doesn't mean you have to treat it like crap! Come on "tech experts"!!!

TB-7918_575px.jpg

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
That is odd that they didn't want to advertise it though. I mean any area that has LTE capable towers will have SVDO capability as well and they said they want to get LTE nationwide by the end of 2012. So you would think they would want to advertise that.

Also most towers that will have LTE within the next year, they probably already have SVDO capability.
Well, as per the review, it seems that the only reason the ThunderBolt has Simultaneous Voice and Data is due to HTC's "unique relationship with Qualcomm, HTC will likely have the only simultaneous EVDO/LTE and 1x voice handset for some time". And apparently there will be no more Qualcomm chips in upcoming 4G phones. Certainly, none of the other 4G phones due out soon will have it. If VZW made a big deal advertising this feature, which was not available on 99 percent of their inventory, I don't think that would help sales at all.

-Frank

Last edited:

Bakerboy2253

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
Great long article. The best part is apparently the phone is NOT as bad as everyone makes out to be with the battery life and general complaining. Comparing all the other phones with the numerous graphs. This is a good article if you are still on the fence.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87