Had to leave....

bobr68#AC

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
So, I bought TB about a month ago and had major data connectivity issues that VZW could not seem to fix either over the phone or at the corporate store. So within my 14 day return period, they gave me a brand new TB with new sim card.....still had data problems that they acknowledged they couldn't figure out. They assured me an update would come out that would address this known problem.....when they couldn't say. Having my phone lose all data connectivity (no email, no nav, no web) was a deal killer for me. Can't justify having a smartphone that may/may not work at any given time. VZW told me it was to be expected in a 1st generation device...that's not an acceptable response, it should just work. Sorry to see that the new update is bringing new problems for people. End of story: I switched to the iphone within my 14 day period, and it just plain works.....I thank you all for your support during my OG droid days and limited TB days....but for now, it's Apple for me.

Chrisy

Banned
Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I was considering an iPhone when I decided to leave BlackBerry. Looks like a nice phone. My cousin and stepfather love theirs.

Good luck, glad you have what works for you. I love Android OS too much to go.

trjnberry

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
I was considering an iPhone when I decided to leave BlackBerry. Looks like a nice phone. My cousin and stepfather love theirs.

Like the ad says, "It's not your dream phone, it's the one after that!"

Well, if you think about it, the Thunderbolt did come to Verizon after the iPhone came, and it was the next new phone after iPhone debuted on Verizon. In that ad slogan, the keyword is AFTER. It doesn't say BETTER, it just says AFTER.

Symantics aside, the iPhone was my dream phone until ATT had to go wake me up at a time when Verizon was coming out with a new network that directly addressed those weaknesses, that ATT was promoting with their iPhone versus the Verizon iPhone. The same time data and voice with a faster network. Well, the LTE delivered both, and the iPhone is not likely to be LTE before I'd be availble for my next upgrade. So, I chose the LTE Thunderbolt.

As the old saying goes, to each his own. But what turned me off on the iPhone, more than the slower network or lack of same time data & voice, was that I couldn't alter the look of the device without jailbreaking it. I know Anroid is probably wrong platform for a stock user, but I am a stock user. Like one former Droid X user in the Tipb forums said a lot in her posts, the Android does stock for what the iPhone requires jailbreaking to match. I love having 7 home screens and being able to have a few or as many icons as I want and even having an empty homescreen to show off the cool Golden Gate Bridge wallpaper I have. I love the widgets. Love the notificaton light and status bar.

But, as our OP has learned through trail and error, the Android is not the right device for people who don't know how to use a smartphone. :-D

Alma

May 8, 2011
Visit site

I love Android also! I went to Verizon store intending to purchase iPhone, but the salesman demonstrated Thunderbolt and explained that iPhone will not allow the same high degree of personal customization as Android phones.

I'm sorry the OP decided to switch to iPhone.

dflores

May 5, 2011
Visit site
Can't say I'd have gone with an iPhone, but I've had a similar infuriating experience with the Thunderbolt. Come to think of it, I used to have the same issue with the iPhone on AT&T though. Over the course of 3 years, I went though 8 iPhones due to signal issues. They would drop nearly every call. Finally, my wife let me borrow her phone and I realized it was the iPhones that had reception issues. Since then, I've dropped maybe 3 calls in the last year. I used to want to murder my iPhone. Anyway, I'm rambling. Enjoy!

lovy

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
Can't say I'd have gone with an iPhone, but I've had a similar infuriating experience with the Thunderbolt. Come to think of it, I used to have the same issue with the iPhone on AT&T though. Over the course of 3 years, I went though 8 iPhones due to signal issues. They would drop nearly every call. Finally, my wife let me borrow her phone and I realized it was the iPhones that had reception issues. Since then, I've dropped maybe 3 calls in the last year. I used to want to murder my iPhone. Anyway, I'm rambling. Enjoy!
+1 ditto

Mortiel

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
in the end it's still money in the pocket for Verizon.

Not as much as you might think in regards to the iPhone... I swear if I didn't know any better I'd say Apple was born out of the Millennium Empire.

So to correct that statement, its money in the pocket of Apple instead of VZW/HTC.

bobr68#AC

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Like the ad says, "It's not your dream phone, it's the one after that!"

Well, if you think about it, the Thunderbolt did come to Verizon after the iPhone came, and it was the next new phone after iPhone debuted on Verizon. In that ad slogan, the keyword is AFTER. It doesn't say BETTER, it just says AFTER.

Symantics aside, the iPhone was my dream phone until ATT had to go wake me up at a time when Verizon was coming out with a new network that directly addressed those weaknesses, that ATT was promoting with their iPhone versus the Verizon iPhone. The same time data and voice with a faster network. Well, the LTE delivered both, and the iPhone is not likely to be LTE before I'd be availble for my next upgrade. So, I chose the LTE Thunderbolt.

As the old saying goes, to each his own. But what turned me off on the iPhone, more than the slower network or lack of same time data & voice, was that I couldn't alter the look of the device without jailbreaking it. I know Anroid is probably wrong platform for a stock user, but I am a stock user. Like one former Droid X user in the Tipb forums said a lot in her posts, the Android does stock for what the iPhone requires jailbreaking to match. I love having 7 home screens and being able to have a few or as many icons as I want and even having an empty homescreen to show off the cool Golden Gate Bridge wallpaper I have. I love the widgets. Love the notificaton light and status bar.

But, as our OP has learned through trail and error, the Android is not the right device for people who don't know how to use a smartphone. :-D

It's funny how you think I don't know how to use a smartphone....having hacked my blackberries, rooted my droid without problems....but hey, if it makes you feel better. My point was to thank the community and to share my frustration with a device that obviously wasn't quite ready for primetime. To the rest of the community, I thank you for your help and I hope the TB bugs are eventually worked out, I just wasn't willing to accept non-functionality in my world.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomarsha95