Software update not working...?

yellowj704

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
Hi everyone,

So I am currently on my 2nd thunderbolt. Unlike what I read here, I have actually had a great experience with the phone so far. The only reason I had to get a replacement is because I dropped my original one, and broke the screen.

On my first Tbolt, I updated the firmware to 1.13.xxxx on the first day the OTA update was released. The update actually gave me great results, and I noticed the phone to be a bit more reliable afterwards (none of these reboots I keep hearing about).

So 5 days ago I got my replacement phone due to cracking the screen, and noticed that it was still running the 1.12.xxxx firmware. Naturally, I wanted my phone to be as up to date as possible, so I went to settings>update software>check for update as I'm supposed to do, expecting a notification to pop up showing Verizon's OTA package. Instead, the dialog box pops up for about 3 seconds and then disappears completely, without telling me anything at all. Not even an error notification.

I've tried everything..putting into 3g only, wiping the SD card, pulling the sim card, doing a factory reset.... Is there something wrong with the way my new phone is communicating with VZW? Or does VZW think that its already pushed me an update because I'm using the same sim card in my new phone as the old one? I would think that if version pulled the last update due to problems, that I would atleast get a notification that there is no new update available.

Any help or thoughts/ideas are greatly appreciated!

iLLusive

Vzw Staff
May 11, 2010
Visit site
Have same issue and sadly it does seem the update checks against your SIM card as I had to do a reset and put my SIM in another TB because I had a pending order locked in an error in VZ ordering system. So now when I put SIM back in my main phone get same thing opens and nothing but window goes away. Do every 10 or so times trying to check if it is fixed get an error message.

yellowj704

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
Have same issue and sadly it does seem the update checks against your SIM card as I had to do a reset and put my SIM in another TB because I had a pending order locked in an error in VZ ordering system. So now when I put SIM back in my main phone get same thing opens and nothing but window goes away. Do every 10 or so times trying to check if it is fixed get an error message.

Hmm..that's not what I wanted to hear :( have u had any luck talking to VZW about the issue? I would call them but I'm sure not a single one of the reps will know what to do. Especially since the sim cards are so new to Verizon. Not having this update isn't the end of the world, but I want to be sure I'm gonna be able to receive the next OTA update when it comes out. And when the next one comes out, will I be able to update to it straight from 1.12 or will it only work property coming from 1.13? Ughh..

iLLusive

Vzw Staff
May 11, 2010
Visit site
I would just say wait the update is very soon and you and myself will be flagged for next update. Wouldn't bother even trying to get a new SIM you don't need it unless you are having data / call issues as well.

dms76

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I have the same issue just picked up a new one with firmware 1.12.605.6 and no updates available.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

yellowj704

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
Illusive,

The thing is, my replacement phone came with a new sim card, so I have a brand new one sitting right in front of me. When I got my replacement I just dropped my old sim card into the new phone because I didn't want to go thru the activation process. I think I might call VZW and get them to link my number with my new sim card. Although the voice in the back of my head says I still won't receive the 1.13 update for some reason lol

Dms76,
Glad to hear someone else is in the same boat. Did you use your existing sim card in your new phone, or did you activate it with a new one?

dchawk82

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I haven't replaced tbolt and still haven't received, or can force, the update. If an update comes out that fixes the bugs, then I'll start to panic but for now I don't care about the recent ota.

dfox

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
I got my Thunderbolt in late April. Still not update on my phone. I wonder if they shut it off because of the reboot issues some are having.

dms76

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I called Verizon's tech support today and connected me to.HTC support. They said updates are issued by serial # and its no big deal if I can't update. They even tried to force update with *#*#checkin#*#*. Apparently its some sort of forced check in service.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I called Verizon's tech support today and connected me to.HTC support. They said updates are issued by serial # and its no big deal if I can't update. They even tried to force update with *#*#checkin#*#*. Apparently its some sort of forced check in service.

Thanks for that info. Not sure what they ment by it's no big deal, though. Hopefully you'll be on the SN list that gets GB (or the next fix update).

-Frank

dms76

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Me neither but I wasn't too worried since it might cause reboots. I was more worried if I can't update now what about future updates.

J2Red

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Having same issue as yellowj704 & iLLusive... Update screen comes up and then goes away without any message after 3-5secs. Verizon had issues activating my T-Bolt (due to a pending order that was locked on my account during activation)... with this issue they had to burn the original SIM Card and activate a new SIM Card. I've known this more than likely was the problem as prior to reading this no one I've ever talked to has ever seen the Software Update screen just disappear like that. I've talked with at least 3 in store tech support agents and 2 over the phone and haven't made any progress, I just get the whole "your serial number hasn't been called yet, just wait"... I'm not as concerned about the current OTA Update being rolled out as much as I am about future updates...

dms76

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Dms76,
Glad to hear someone else is in the same boat. Did you use your existing sim card in your new phone, or did you activate it with a new one?

I insisted on a new SIM w/ the new phone, I had to many sim related issues with ATT to deal with it again.
Anytime you have problems with your phone you should always get a new sim in my opinion.

J2Red

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Talking with VZW Support again and explained the issue in detail and they still state that they've never heard of this issue before (Software Update Not Working, comes up and then go away)... they of course want me to do a Hard Reset and then if not they will replace the phone... don't expect either of these to fix the problem.

J2Red

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Update: Completed another hard reset last night as request by HTC and VZW Support, still having the same issue. I also tried "software update" prior to setting up Active-Synch for Exchange as there was some concern that maybe my Enterprise Policy was restricting the access.. and doing this prior to that activation rules out that one as the problem

Additionally: I did upgrade to the MR2 leak last night which also does a complete phone wipe, just to see if there was something with my phone and the ship stock software version and I'm still having the same issues.

Verizon sent me a certified like new T-Bolt to see if there is something wrong with the phone in general, so I'm going to activate it this weekend (with my existing SIM), which I don't expect to change anything... so at that point we will know that it's either SIM related or Account related

I've got my money on SIM related issue, but will update once we get to that point.... as long as we can get this fixed by the Gingerbread OTA, I will be happy! :)

dms76

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I'm interested in hearing what happens as I just did a complete downgrade and upgrade to root the phone with the same issues.

J2Red

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Update:

Received CLNR yesterday... came preloaded with 1.13.605.7, threw my SIM in and checked Software Update and..... it worked!!! Received the standard "No New Software Update Available" (So guess it wasn't the SIM afterall...)

Then the interesting twist... was getting ready to head into Verizon Store to show them the issue on both phones and see what they thought.... and then I thought "maybe I should try the update again on my phone now that it worked on the CLNR".... and of course it NOW WORKS on my original phone!?!?!?

So even after numerous battery pulls, removing SIM, hard resets and loading 1.66.605.2.... placing my SIM in the CLNR and having a successful "check for new software" attempt and then putting my SIM back in my original phone cleared the issue.... must have cleared something up in the system that was hung up on my account??

So if you are having this issue find a friend with T-Bolt and borrow it for 5mins :)

mrdoon

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone else had success resolving this issue? Now that the GB update is available, I would like to know what I should do since Verizon seems to be little or no help. Thanks!