These fraudulent people are getting smart...

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I'm just hoping deposits don't become the norm even for those with excellent credit.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II

Same here.

That's what people like that target, folks who have good credit and too young and dumb to realize what that means

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Same here.

That's what people like that target, folks who have good credit and too young and dumb to realize what that means

I don't want to go into a number but at 19 I was buying my first new car and got 6.1% interest by myself on a $16,000 loan. At 23 I signed a loan by myself when I traded in my Honda and got 1.9% on an Acura. So if my credit gets effected we have a serious issue...

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Same here.

Yep credit is everything. At 25 I've bought a house and all my services (electric, water, Internet / TV) was setup as well without one deposit.. All because of credit. People don't realize how much stuff you can get with good credit.

My friends still can't believe our electric company let me skate on the $300 deposit :D.

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Not to derail too much, my goal is to have a zero credit score.

More on topic, this sounds like a low level scam that has probably gone on for a while now and we're already paying for stuff like this.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
If you understand what the credit score really represents, you'll understand what I mean. Mine is actually quite high now, but I've learned the error of my ways and working to change that.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
If you understand what the credit score really represents, you'll understand what I mean. Mine is actually quite high now, but I've learned the error of my ways and working to change that.

Mmhmmm.. Let me know how that works out for you. Lol.

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums.

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
The credit system is a sham, meant to keep the poor poor and the rich rich. It's generally only the poor that have need of the credit system, and once your in twined it's next to impossible to claw your way out. These companies set exorbitant interest rates on their cards and loans, it's almost like legal loansharking, can't they just do so out of compassion for human suffering and trust they will be paid back. I mean how can a number dictate whether or not you have the right to live (if it's bad you can buy a house, a car, or even get a job). Yes I know that you're score is of your own making, but it is still just a number and it shouldn't be allowed to have that much control over your life.

Aren't we past this point as a society, where we can trust each other and not have to worry about being scammed or not? I mean we've sent people to the moon, discovered almost every element, created computer chips the size of a pinhead. Should we really let something as petty as a number dominate our lives?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

FaisDogg

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
So a guy walks up to the kiosk, buys 2 iphone 5's with his girlfriend with him. They acted like they were so interested in the monthly bill, asked questions about data, how much the taxes and fees are, all the questions you ask when making a serious inquiry about buying service. They even ported numbers over from T-mobile (where they probably ran the same scam).

We had to talk him into getting insurance (or so we thought) and when they got it for both lines, my manager closed the sale. They refused any accessories.

Fast forward a week and a half , my manager does his checks to see if the service is actually being used, come to find out they had 0 minutes of talk, 5mb of data between them, and 6 texts.

But that isn't the kicker, later the same day they went to another location to add 2 more phones to the account and another the next day.

Then he noticed they swapped the devices out two times a piece.

After some calls, he found out they committed insurance fraud. So they've gone through 15 iphone 5's in a week and a half through various insurance providers.

On day 13 they canceled the service and paid Verizon the money they owed for the small amount of time they had the phones.

Phones are gone, they are gone, he's being charged back for 2 phones and the resellers are out the devices.

I'm sure they were on Craigslist the day they got them.

These scam artists are getting very smart....

Wow dude...these people are gonna push insurance rates higher for us...
Don't the have to pay EFT to the carrier?

Sent from my HTC via Tapatalk!

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
The credit system is a sham, meant to keep the poor poor and the rich rich. It's generally only the poor that have need of the credit system, and once your in twined it's next to impossible to claw your way out. These companies set exorbitant interest rates on their cards and loans, it's almost like legal loansharking, can't they just do so out of compassion for human suffering and trust they will be paid back. I mean how can a number dictate whether or not you have the right to live (if it's bad you can buy a house, a car, or even get a job). Yes I know that you're score is of your own making, but it is still just a number and it shouldn't be allowed to have that much control over your life.

Aren't we past this point as a society, where we can trust each other and not have to worry about being scammed or not? I mean we've sent people to the moon, discovered almost every element, created computer chips the size of a pinhead. Should we really let something as petty as a number dominate our lives?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

A credit score system is used by companies to judge the risk involved on one defaulting on a loan. There are certain things that affect this number that I disagree with such as closing down a credit card but that's how it works. I closed 3 credit cards and had the credit limit transferred to my one card but it effected me negatively slightly due to my length of credit history going down. I just got tired of having so many cards sitting idle so I took the hit.

Sadly banks must be able to charge extra when the risk is higher. The worst part about this though is that those with bad scores probably can't afford that 16% rate on a car.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Anyone that listens to Dave Ramsey knows where I'm about to go...

The only thing a credit score does is show how well you borrow and pay back money. The higher the score, the more loans you can get, to make the banks more money. It doesn't take into account your overall financial health. I've stopped borrowing money (except for when I've saved enough to put down on a house due to the enormous cost there) and paying off my current debts. Dave says of the hand full of people he's actually tracked, where all debts are paid off and there are no active credit accounts, people seem to have an absolute zero credit score within 6 months to a year. Once I'm ready for a home loan, I find a bank or credit union willing to judge the loan with manual underwriting. Someone with no outstanding debts and a hefty down payment would look a lot safer to loan to than someone with a high credit score because he's in debt up to his eyeballs.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Anyone that listens to Dave Ramsey knows where I'm about to go...

The only thing a credit score does is show how well you borrow and pay back money. The higher the score, the more loans you can get, to make the banks more money. It doesn't take into account your overall financial health. I've stopped borrowing money (except for when I've saved enough to put down on a house due to the enormous cost there) and paying off my current debts. Dave says of the hand full of people he's actually tracked, where all debts are paid off and there are no active credit accounts, people seem to have an absolute zero credit score within 6 months to a year. Once I'm ready for a home loan, I find a bank or credit union willing to judge the loan with manual underwriting. Someone with no outstanding debts and a hefty down payment would look a lot safer to loan to than someone with a high credit score because he's in debt up to his eyeballs.

Very insightful and that's very true. Your credit doesn't seem to build up unless you take out loans and pay them back. Its really a flawed system to say the least. I use my credit cards to buy things rather than a debit card but I always pay the money back immediately. I have a car loan with 1.9% interest so I'm not getting screwed too much there. I try to keep what I owe banks low because its senseless to throw money away.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
But wouldn't it be theft as well?

I would think so considering you're required to return the device upon cancellation. If the device isn't returned Verizon would charge the signee the retail price of the device. Either this group of people has no care in the world for their credit score or legal liability or their using fraudulant Social Security numbers and fake IDs.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

SouthernDroid

Banned
Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
I would think so considering you're required to return the device upon cancellation. If the device isn't returned Verizon would charge the signee the retail price of the device. Either this group of people has no care in the world for their credit score or legal liability or their using fraudulant Social Security numbers and fake IDs.

I used to work for Verizon Wireless when I was in college. Since we'd get hit with charge backs if the service was cancelled within 180 days, I would tell customers that they had a deposit, if I thought that I was about to be scammed. It is better to be safe then sorry, right?

jweimn

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site

Don't for see fake ids and ss cards as the Info wouldn't match up when their credit is run. Seen it happen a few times always is denied or given $400 deposit per line

SouthernDroid

Banned
Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
Don't for see fake ids and ss cards as the Info wouldn't match up when their credit is run. Seen it happen a few times always is denied or given $400 deposit per line

Unless they were using stolen SSNs, and had a fake drivers license. I've even seen reps not use photo IDs to verify the customer.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 4 Beta

jweimn

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Unless they were using stolen SSNs, and had a fake drivers license. I've even seen reps not use photo IDs to verify the customer.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 4 Beta

And that is something a rep should be written up for. You should always use a photo id for verification

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drkrleitch