Upgrade or wait

nygbrad

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I think I have given in and going to stay with Verizon. I think for the coverage and signal in my area the extra cost is worth it. I am wondering if I should get a new phone, S4 or Moto X, or wait until the next thing comes out. I have my old Galaxy Nexus running Kit Kat now, so I'm not in a big hurry. However I can tell the age of this phone with battery and slow gestures issues.

Just trying to get some preferences.

Thanks,
Brad

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
There are so many good phones out right now. If you wait, then when the next big thing comes out, you might wonder if you should wait more for the next next big thing, and so on. I'd say go for the update, but if you're perfectly happy with your Nexus, then just wait--prices can only drop.

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
I think I have given in and going to stay with Verizon. I think for the coverage and signal in my area the extra cost is worth it. I am wondering if I should get a new phone, S4 or Moto X, or wait until the next thing comes out. I have my old Galaxy Nexus running Kit Kat now, so I'm not in a big hurry. However I can tell the age of this phone with battery and slow gestures issues.

Just trying to get some preferences.

Thanks,
Brad

Go use the phones and make your decisions. Only you can make that call fairly. If you have a phone that meets your needs currently then you do have that choice to wait. But if it was me it would really depend on what I wanted.

johnriii

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
it's totally dependant on your personal preference, as well as how your budget looks. when I upgraded in July, six months prior to that I had decided to go with the S3, because it was the best phone for MY budget. I knew the S4 was coming, and I wanted to get away from HTC, so I planned on settling for the S3. well, lo and behold, when it was time for my upgrade, the S4 had dropped to where I could get it, and Best Buy also gave my $50 bucks credit for my HTC Rezound. Now, in hindsight I wished I had waited a bit longer, but I don't have buyers remorse, I just like some of the no nonsense phones that Motorola has put out a bit better. my guess is that no matter what you get, you're always going to 2nd guess your choice. I love my S4, but several "newer" phones out there are more to my liking. I don't need the "gimmicks" of the S4, so I turn just about all of them off.

johnriii

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
oh yeah, and playing with the other phones in the store will give you an idea of what you might like, but it's not like actually using the phone in everyday use. all the phones in the store are going to work well, because you have limited time to put them through their paces. but it's better than not seeing them in action at all. good luck to you.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
it's totally dependant on your personal preference, as well as how your budget looks. when I upgraded in July, six months prior to that I had decided to go with the S3, because it was the best phone for MY budget. I knew the S4 was coming, and I wanted to get away from HTC, so I planned on settling for the S3. well, lo and behold, when it was time for my upgrade, the S4 had dropped to where I could get it, and Best Buy also gave my $50 bucks credit for my HTC Rezound. Now, in hindsight I wished I had waited a bit longer, but I don't have buyers remorse, I just like some of the no nonsense phones that Motorola has put out a bit better. my guess is that no matter what you get, you're always going to 2nd guess your choice. I love my S4, but several "newer" phones out there are more to my liking. I don't need the "gimmicks" of the S4, so I turn just about all of them off.

If money is an issue, wait for a sale, I got my Verizon note 3 for $90 on release day, note 2 in February for $37, htc rezound within 2 weeks of release for $50. There were other sales as well

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

nygbrad

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Money isn't an issue really but if I am sticking with Verizon I am going to get a phone at the upgrade price. I like the Moto X but it looks similar to my Galaxy. And I know it only had a dual processor instead of a quad. My wife has an S3 and I like it. I have played with some phones and I know I don't want anything bigger than the S4, i.e. G2 and Note 3. Honestly I love my phone still but hate that it's getting slower because I keep upgrading the ROMs.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Don't think of the X as having a dual core. Remember that it has 8 actual cores--2 acting as the main CPU, 4 as the GPU, and 2 ultra low power cores for the active notifications and always-listening voice commands. Everyone I know who has one says it runs super smooth, as if it were a quad core.

Posted via Android Central App

nygbrad

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
True I did read that too. Thanks for the info. I guess I need to play with them more and maybe by the time I get ready to do something I will hear some news on the upcoming phones haha. I hate this viscous cycle! I think I am just going to activate an old Motorola Razr I have laying around so I don't have to worry about this anymore haha.

DS1331

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Don't think of the X as having a dual core. Remember that it has 8 actual cores--2 acting as the main CPU, 4 as the GPU, and 2 ultra low power cores for the active notifications and always-listening voice commands. Everyone I know who has one says it runs super smooth, as if it were a quad core.

Exactly this thing runs just a smooth as my HTC One I love it it's definitely worth it

Q10, HTC One, Nexus 7, Moto X

johnriii

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
from what I've experienced (in the store) from the moto X, and owning an S4, I would go with the Moto X. the S4, while it's a good/great phone, has been experiencing some weird happenings since the upgrade to 4.3. a small percentage of people are having battery life issues, as well as other random acts of mayhem. luckily, the most I've had go wrong is the annoying security update notification.

like I said before, there's always going to be some level of apprehension when choosing a smartphone, because there are so many decent choices out there. good luck, and happy hunting.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Money isn't an issue really but if I am sticking with Verizon I am going to get a phone at the upgrade price. I like the Moto X but it looks similar to my Galaxy. And I know it only had a dual processor instead of a quad. My wife has an S3 and I like it. I have played with some phones and I know I don't want anything bigger than the S4, i.e. G2 and Note 3. Honestly I love my phone still but hate that it's getting slower because I keep upgrading the ROMs.

Well, if you want a quad core processor, you can always wait for the Moto G which will be quad core. Granted, the dual Krait cores in the X would be faster than the quad core A7 in the G, but I know that some people prefer quad core because of the name, not necessarily because it is faster. The quad core A7 in the G would be similar to the LITTLE used in big.LITTLE processors like some Samsung octa core chips, which aren't really octa core but two quad cores (A7/A15). Then again, Moto's X8 isn't really an octa core either.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

I think it is somewhat gimmicky to call it X8, just like Samsung calling quad cores as octa core. The always-listening voice commands isn't anything special, as I keep it on my Note 3 and it doesn't really use more power. The active notifications though does have a bit of a battery drain on the Note 3.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38