Are early upgrades still possible on Verizon?

fofjjsr

Android4life
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
but if you are already paying for it in your monthly wireless service fee and then pay full price for a phone, you are paying for it twice! We know the subsidy is built into the price of our wireless services. So then if we don't get the subsidy and pay full price, we pay $1400 for a $700 phone.

What?

Big Red Note 3

fofjjsr

Android4life
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Edge is full retail. Just broken up into 24 installments. Now if you get an additional $10/mo off your bill for being on Edge, then it is full retail - $240.

If you keep the phone for 24 months yes, which is why Edge is not for everyone. If you upgrade every year then you are not (1 year being the 50% I think need to Edge). So if you upgrade every year to the new Note series you are paying $350 - 12x$10 which = $230 which I think is $100 less than the upgrade price of $330 with the upgrade fee. So if you are a person that keeps your phone for 2 years Edge is not for you, but if you are a person that likes to get into the latest models then it works. I read that in some cases people that edge on some of the less expensive devices on 10 gb plans are actually decreasing their bills or paying far less than the regular upgrade price in the keep the phone for two years.

In before I must work for Verizon again.

Big Red Note 3

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
but if you are already paying for it in your monthly wireless service fee and then pay full price for a phone, you are paying for it twice! We know the subsidy is built into the price of our wireless services. So then if we don't get the subsidy and pay full price, we pay $1400 for a $700 phone.

Good point!

I forgot VeRAPIST doesn't cut the bill down

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

SmithlandCart

Banned
Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
Good point!

I forgot VeRAPIST doesn't cut the bill down
They did just recently (2 weeks ago) decide to give those on Edge a $10/mo reduction or if they have 10GB or more of data, a $20/mo reduction. But it still by and large isn't as good of a deal as those of us who are still on the old plan and get subsidies get. As is always the case, the grandfathered plans are better for almost everyone.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Hello? Did you even read the OP's post? He DID all of that all ready and was told NO. That is why he posted here. He is not some dunce who didn't think to call or ask a manager. He did that already.

I didn't say he was a dunce or anything.. So the next best bet is to go to a store.. Other than that he can't do to much since they technically don't have to.

Also you don't have to be so hostile to people in the forums. This is a place for discussion.. Not attacking people.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Please tone it down a notch. As a reminder, these are the community guidelines :

Mobile Nations communities should always be fun, friendly and helpful places to be. We want to provide answers to all member posts and questions as QUICKLY as possible. With that in mind, we ask that all members kindly follow these basic guidelines:

P.U.P.P.A.H
(Be Polite, Understanding, Patient, Professional, Attentive and Helpful)

Be polite. We ask that you keep your language clean and polite.
Be understanding and patient. You may be a power user or developer, but the person you?re talking to on the other end may be a complete newbie. Be patient, and provide all details possible if you?re posting about a problem (descriptive thread title always helps).
Be a pro. Don?t get into arguments over dumb things. If someone responds in a poor or rude fashion, ignore it. If you notice a pattern of rude or poor behavior from a particular member, report them to our moderators. If you don?t have anything nice to say, don?t say anything at all. In a nutshell, ?think before you post?.
Be attentive and helpful. Answer questions in a timely manner when you can, and provide thoughts and suggestions that might lead to the solution of a members? problem.

http://forums.mobilenations.com/rules-policies/500-community-rules-guidelines.html#post3388

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

fofjjsr

Android4life
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
I didn't say he was a dunce or anything.. So the next best bet is to go to a store.. Other than that he can't do to much since they technically don't have to.

Also you don't have to be so hostile to people in the forums. This is a place for discussion.. Not attacking people.

Pretty much what I have been dealing with. I was just trying to give the OP info and options and got jumped on.

Big Red Note 3

anon24860

May 19, 2010
Visit site
I am waiting for my contract to end so I can get a Note 3. I have less than a month to go and Verizon won't cut me a break on the time. They want me to buy it using the Edge plan. No way I am going to pay 700 bucks for it. A local store has core phones (returned) for 100 bucks but the soonest I can get one is 7 days before my contract date. Has anyone experienced any break on the contract time? I get different answers every time I talk to Verizon. I spoke to a rep from the web page who told me the store managers have the option of renewing early. The store manager tells me it is not true and the web people can do it. Anyone have any luck upgrading early without using the Edge plan?

Posted via Android Central App

A couple of questions.

When you say 7 days before your contact date, do you mean before the REAL date? By that I mean that VZN usually lets you upgrade around a month early. My upgrade date was middle of Feb. but I was allowed to upgrade in early Jan. Is that "early date" the one you are talking about or the true anniversary.

Which data plan are you on now?

You have another upgrade possibility. You can actually buy the phone for full retail but spread it over a year through the equipment purchase plan. This will add about $60 a month to your bill. You have to pay the sales tax and first month's equipment charge up front (plus $2 a month "finance charge). Now before you say that you didn't want to do that, there is an advantage to doing that. The main thing is that you basically go on a month to month extension of your contact. When you finish paying off the phone, you are free to get another phone and start all over again. You can't "pay ahead" but you can pay off the balance at any time, even the second month if you want. At that point, you can sell your own phone on the free market (yeah, you won't get full retail but I'll bet that you'll get pretty good money) and you can subsidize the purchase of the new phone. This method is especially good for those of us still on unlimited data plans as you get to keep it, but there's value for those on regular data plans as well, namely breaking the 2 year thing. You will pay a bit out of pocket but it might be worth it to run the numbers. The quicker you can pay off the balance, the more you'll get for your old phone because the newer it will be (plus you save the $2 a month for the remaining months (that's small change though). The main benefit is breaking the 2 year cycle.

SmithlandCart

Banned
Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
So the next best bet is to go to a store..
He DID that. He told you he did that in his OP, which obviously, you didn't read before you responded.

Other than that he can't do to much since they technically don't have to.
He can call retention.

What are you talking about attacking? I pointed out that you are telling him to do exactly what in his OP he said he already tried and was told no. Pointing that out is not attacking you. And that is ridiculous that you said that.

anon24860

May 19, 2010
Visit site

Not quite. You have to subtract out the amount that the user is paying upfront. The remainder is the subsidized price, not full retail.

SmithlandCart

Banned
Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
When you say 7 days before your contact date, do you mean before the REAL date? By that I mean that VZN usually lets you upgrade around a month early. My upgrade date was middle of Feb. but I was allowed to upgrade in early Jan. Is that "early date" the one you are talking about or the true anniversary.
Did the early date just show up on its own? Mine shows my next upgrade date is the exact same date as my contract end date. I thought that was how they were doing it now.

You have another upgrade possibility. You can actually buy the phone for full retail but spread it over a year through the equipment purchase plan. This will add about $60 a month to your bill.
The Edge plan is the worst financial option there is unless you are on More Everything with 10GB or more of data and can get the $20/mo discount.

The only other way Edge is not a terrible idea is if you are so highly paid at your job that it is not worth your time to sell an old phone.

anon24860

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Did the early date just show up on its own? Mine shows my next upgrade date is the exact same date as my contract end date. I thought that was how they were doing it now.

The Edge plan is the worst financial option there is unless you are on More Everything with 10GB or more of data and can get the $20/mo discount.

The only other way Edge is not a terrible idea is if you are so highly paid at your job that it is not worth your time to sell an old phone.

This is a different plan than Edge.

As far as the date, I don't remember what it showed on line but it seems to me that it showed the original date but when I checked for an upgrade, it showed that I could do it early. I was able to upgrade early 2 years ago as well. I think it was about a month early that I was able to go from the DROID X to the Razr.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

anon24860

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Not following what you are trying to say here.

If the customer is paying $200 up front for example, that's money that that comes out of pocket. That $200 is part of the price of a retail phone as well. It's going to be paid either way. So you're not paying double, you're "only" paying the difference over and above the subsidized price "twice".

Make sense?

SmithlandCart

Banned
Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
I was able to upgrade early 2 years ago as well. I think it was about a month early that I was able to go from the DROID X to the Razr.
2 years ago the upgrade date was 20 months from the date you signed the contract and they would routinely let you upgrade even earlier. Things are different now.

anon24860

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Well, it might be only a month now. But AFAIK, and it was my experience, it's still at least a month (actually in my case, it was about 5 weeks). That's why I asked which date was being talked about.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
He DID that. He told you he did that in his OP, which obviously, you didn't read before you responded.

He can call retention.

Yes he can call retention and try his luck but I wouldn't hold my breath since they don't have to do anything. Also sometimes going to another store might yield different results :). When I was with Sprint there was one store that everyone avoided due to the horrible customer service even on normal tasks.

anon24860

May 19, 2010
Visit site
And, as I said, there is value to buying a phone in the equipment purchase plan (not Edge). One has to determine whether it's worth it to dramatically reduce the upgrade time. You don't lose the entire retail value of the phone though. You still get some of the money back when you sell it. The earlier you pay off the phone, the more you'll recover, especially for a hot phone like the Note.

For me, the ultimate value was keep my unlimited data. This was the only was for me as a single line owner to do it. But it might have been worth it to break the 2 year cycle.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Folks lets keep this discussion toned down. This isn't the first reminder from a Moderator concerning this. If we can't keep things civil then we will just close the thread down and if need be deal with those causing problems.