Prepaid Phone choice.

Brian524

Aug 7, 2014
Visit site
I'm thinking about leaving AT&T pay as you go. Would you recommend Verizon prepaid? $200 budget.
I'm interested in Moto G 1st or 2nd gen. & Motorola Luge. Anyone have any experience with these phone or recommend others?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm thinking about leaving AT&T pay as you go. Would you recommend Verizon prepaid?
I'd recommend using the carrier that gives you the best coverage in all the places you need coverage. Price is secondary. Free phone service that doesn't work where you need isn't as good as expensive service that does..

Always choose by carrier by coverage first. (Actual coverage by using a phone there, not by their make-believe maps.) Then choose the phone, again based on coverage first, then by features. (The cheapest "give-away" phone isn't going to get you the same coverage, on the same carrier, as the flagship phone.)

Choosing a phone first, or choosing by price (or by anything but coverage) is like deciding on which car to buy based on which one comes in the color you like. And since we don't know who has what coverage where you are, we can't give you a sensible answer. (You can even choose by technology first or second - a weak CDMA signal actually makes some people sea sick, while a weak GSM signal makes some people dizzy. They sound completely different - underwater vs way overdone autotuning.)

Brian524

Aug 7, 2014
Visit site
I'd recommend using the carrier that gives you the best coverage in all the places you need coverage. Price is secondary. Free phone service that doesn't work where you need isn't as good as expensive service that does..

Always choose by carrier by coverage first. (Actual coverage by using a phone there, not by their make-believe maps.) Then choose the phone, again based on coverage first, then by features. (The cheapest "give-away" phone isn't going to get you the same coverage, on the same carrier, as the flagship phone.)

Choosing a phone first, or choosing by price (or by anything but coverage) is like deciding on which car to buy based on which one comes in the color you like. And since we don't know who has what coverage where you are, we can't give you a sensible answer. (You can even choose by technology first or second - a weak CDMA signal actually makes some people sea sick, while a weak GSM signal makes some people dizzy. They sound completely different - underwater vs way overdone autotuning.)

I live in south east part of New Hampshire. AT&T coverage is very spotty here. Verizon coverage map looks as if it covers my area better. Not looking for contract phone, since I will be buying phone outright don't want to spend a lot. Don't need flagship phone. That's why I was interested in phones I had listed. I would even consider a higher end phone from a year or two ago if price was right.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Moto g is probably the best if you can find it around $50 and don't need 4GLTE. If you need 4GLTE, the luge is $50 though specs aren't as good.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4

32gig

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
Pick up a phone off of swappa.com, seem to have the best or most reasonably priced phones I've seen, then throw a straight talk Sim in it for $45($49.26 after taxes) per month.. can't beat it..

Posted via Android Central App