Sipdroid + GV stopped working??

DXM31

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
My phone has never been activated I use it mostly as a wireless home phone.
I rooted my Optimus V a couple of days ago using Gingerbreak
It all seemed good, and I backed up and deleted a few apps.
Today I tried calling out using Sipdroid and I get no ringing, it looks like it is working and the green light is on on the status bar, also tried calling the GV number thru Gmail and I it rings in Gmail but the phone never rings.
Texting thru GV works from the phone, nothing seems to be wrong other than the voice part stopped working.
I have tried unintall/reinstall of GV but not Sipdroid yet.
Any ideas?
Could I have deleted something I shouldn't?
Thx

mmarz

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Today I tried calling out using Sipdroid and I get no ringing, it looks like it is working and the green light is on on the status bar, also tried calling the GV number thru Gmail and I it rings in Gmail but the phone never rings.
Texting thru GV works from the phone, nothing seems to be wrong other than the voice part stopped working.
Any ideas?
Thx

Sipdroid by itself cannot connect to GV. GV uses a different protocol from SIP. Sipdroid connects to a sip provider (most likely pbxes.org), which then completes the connection to GV. Pbxes.org has all sorts of restrictions as do all the other free sip providers on how you can use your account. They could have eliminated your GV access. Check with your sip provider. For me, pbxes.org deleted my account and tried to blackmail me for money to regain access. I would highly suggest going with Groove IP if your only goal is to use GV. It is a 1000x better than sipdroid + pbxes ever was. Groove IP connects directly to GV.

Last edited:
Reactions: DXM31

DXM31

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
My account still exists on pbxes.org.(the green light is on)
Thanks for the suggestion about Groove IP I have read up on it and I like the idea, but I have to spend something like $4 to get it, I know that's not a lot of money but I like free.
Even then I am not sure that will fix my problem, the phone does not seem to want to work???
I guess I can restore everything and start over but that seems a bit drastic.
The dialer works it says dialing but no noise???
I also tried to dial out using the GV app same thing, but then I don't know if that was possible before.

DXM31

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
speaking of restoring the phone in this step
Step 3 using terminal emulator follow mmarz steps to install recovery via terminal emulator (type su hit enter flash_image recovery /sdcard/stock.img hit enter reboot recovery hit enter)
I am guessing this is a terminal emulator on the phone?
Does it matter which one?
Thx

mmarz

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Terminal emulator is an app you can download from the android market, and yes you type in the commands on the phone itself. If you search for "terminal emulator" there will only be one app called that.

Even if your pbxes.org account is fine, there could be something wrong with the gtalk trunk within the pbxes account.

Here is how it works: spidroid <-sip-> pbxes <-jabber-> google voice

Even if sipdroid is connecting to pbxes, it doesn't mean that pbxes is connecting to google voice. The green icon does not tell you the google voice status.

Last edited:
Reactions: jj2me

DXM31

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
mmarz I really appreciate your input.
Is there a way to check the gtalk trunk?
The name a password were correct.
I have other questions to ask you about restoring the phone, the instructions I have mention you.
Should I ask them here or start a new thread?
Thx

mmarz

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
mmarz I really appreciate your input.
Is there a way to check the gtalk trunk?
The name a password were correct.
I have other questions to ask you about restoring the phone, the instructions I have mention you.
Should I ask them here or start a new thread?
Thx

Ask away.

The trunk you can check to see if it is still listed in your pbxes account. Even if the trunk is there, my point is that the problem could be on pbxes's end and not with any of your settings.

Last edited:

DXM31

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
As mentioned before I used Gingerbreak to root the phone the following are the instructions to unroot:

Unroot using gingerbreak phone method no PC needed. Thus will return your phone back to stock no need for a flash image file for this.

Step 1 download and install ov stock Rom zip. Google it or go to xda or android central to download. Install and reboot before proceeding to step 2.

I have this file on my PC can't I just use the USB to put it on the sd card on the phone?
I do not have Clockworkmod do I need it to install ov stock rom zip?

Step 2 download and place stock recovery image on the root of your SD card and rename it stock.img

Step 3 using terminal emulator follow mmarz steps to install recovery via terminal emulator (type su hit enter flash_image recovery /sdcard/stock.img hit enter reboot recovery hit enter)

When I downloaded this I got two files flash_image and recovery.img so both files go onto the SD on the root I just need to rename recovery.img to stock.img?
The terminal emulator I have, the writing is soo small can I make it bigger?

You should now have stock recovery reboot into android now. Once booted install and /open gingerbreak apk. Select unroot. It will unroot your phone and be completely stock.

To root it again use the root directions above but to install recovery to a once rerooted phone use mmarz technique for terminal emulator to reinstall custom recovery.

Thanks again.

mmarz

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
As mentioned before I used Gingerbreak to root the phone the following are the instructions to unroot:

Unroot using gingerbreak phone method no PC needed. Thus will return your phone back to stock no need for a flash image file for this.

Step 1 download and install ov stock Rom zip. Google it or go to xda or android central to download. Install and reboot before proceeding to step 2.

I have this file on my PC can't I just use the USB to put it on the sd card on the phone?
I do not have Clockworkmod do I need it to install ov stock rom zip?

Step 2 download and place stock recovery image on the root of your SD card and rename it stock.img

When I downloaded this I got two files flash_image and recovery.img so both files go onto the SD on the root I just need to rename recovery.img to stock.img?
The terminal emulator I have, the writing is soo small can I make it bigger?

You should now have stock recovery reboot into android now. Once booted install and /open gingerbreak apk. Select unroot. It will unroot your phone and be completely stock.

To root it again use the root directions above but to install recovery to a once rerooted phone use mmarz technique for terminal emulator to reinstall custom recovery.

Thanks again.

Do you have a custom rom installed?
Do you have a custom recovery installed?

If all you did was root your phone, you don't need to do all of these steps. Use the gingerbreak app to unroot.

If on the other hand you have installed a custom recovery and rom, you'll need to put that stockrom.zip on your SD card. You'll then reboot into your custom recovery. It doesn't need to clockworkmod's recovery. Any custom recovery will do. Then use the flash zip feature to flash the zip.

When you are ready to install the stock recovery, place the two files on the root of the sdcard. Rename them if you need to. The commands should be obvious as to how the files should be named. All you are doing is telling the script "flash_image" to flash your whatever.img as a recovery image. You didn't post the commands you are referring to, so that is as precise as I can be. Terminal emulator does have small text. I don't think there is anything you can do about that.

Last edited:

DXM31

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
No custom ROM
No custom recovery

Very COOL, thanks a bunch for the info

Pretty simple then, if I want to restore the apps I deleted I could just use TI backup and then tell Gingerbreak to UnRoot to put the phone to stock.

as an option could I just do steps 2 and 3 before the Gingerbreak unroot?

Step 3 using terminal emulator follow mmarz steps to install recovery via terminal emulator
type su hit enter
flash_image recovery /sdcard/stock.img hit enter
reboot recovery hit enter

That is of course trusting the downloads are correct and clean.

Thanks

mmarz

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
No custom ROM
No custom recovery

Very COOL, thanks a bunch for the info

Pretty simple then, if I want to restore the apps I deleted I could just use TI backup and then tell Gingerbreak to UnRoot to put the phone to stock.

as an option could I just do steps 2 and 3 before the Gingerbreak unroot?

Step 3 using terminal emulator follow mmarz steps to install recovery via terminal emulator
type su hit enter
flash_image recovery /sdcard/stock.img hit enter
reboot recovery hit enter

That is of course trusting the downloads are correct and clean.

Thanks

You can't do those steps because you haven't installed a custom recovery. Without a custom recovery you can't install any rom, including the stock rom. And obviously, you don't need to restore the stock recovery because you already have it. If your goal is to wipe your info from the phone, just do a factory reset after unrooting. Otherwise, you'll have to first install a custom recovery.

Last edited:

DXM31

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
even better
So, I need to Gingerbreak unroot, then factory reset and everything is back the way it was when I got the phone even the apps I deleted?

I am slowly getting this.

mmarz

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
even better
So, I need to Gingerbreak unroot, then factory reset and everything is back the way it was when I got the phone even the apps I deleted?

I am slowly getting this.

You won't get the apps you deleted back without restoring them manually. Factory reset doesn't touch that.

Last edited:

DXM31

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
That makes sense, there is not a whole lot of room on the phone for a recovery partition like on a PC to reload bloatware.

This has been very helpful

Now I just need to read up on loading custom ROM's and really make it interesting.

shawne11

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Any ideas?
Thx

I've had this happen a couple of times. Log into your account at pbxes.com. Change any setting and confirm the change. Then just change it back and confirm the change. Don't know why but this gets pbxes working again.

DXM31

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I've had this happen a couple of times. Log into your account at pbxes.com. Change any setting and confirm the change. Then just change it back and confirm the change. Don't know why but this gets pbxes working again.

Thanks I will give this a shot

DXM31

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
That was awesome...worked like a charm my phone is back
I just changed my gv pw and changed it back...BAMM...phone works