No Dark Mode for Gmail or Google App, anyone else?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
It's not even a true black when Google's applying it... it's honestly disappointing when you realize that one of the supposed benefits is saving battery, which doesn't happen when the background is a gray instead of just straight turning off the pixels on the screen =\

https://www.wired.com/story/do-you-need-dark-mode/

I'm sure y'all have read something like this, and this isn't the only article I've read about the matter, but it makes me think...what are we honestly excited about if dark mode doesn't really do any of the things it's linked with doing?
I agree, its easier on my eyes if its completely black and not grey..dont know the reason for grey .

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Regarding the assistant, a month or so ago it WAS dark! I dread talking to the assistant in bed at nite in a dark room. It’s like the 2nd coming or something, that light is just obscenely bright and kills the serene mood for a full 2 minutes.
I even went back to my iPhone for awhile as they have done their dark mode right and at least Siri doesn’t blind me. But why take it away? It was soooo nice.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Regarding the assistant, a month or so ago it WAS dark! I dread talking to the assistant in bed at nite in a dark room. It’s like the 2nd coming or something, that light is just obscenely bright and kills the serene mood for a full 2 minutes.
I even went back to my iPhone for awhile as they have done their dark mode right and at least Siri doesn’t blind me. But why take it away? It was soooo nice.
You had it , and it disappeared:(

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
You had it , and it disappeared:(
Indeed I did. Lasted a couple of weeks or so then one day it was gone along with the dark play store app. Then the play store came back but not the assistant.
Nothing’s more frustrating than being able to enjoy it then get it taken away when it was working so well. I’d rather have the assistant back in dark mode than the email, at least get it back first.

antman451

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
The REALLY weird thing for me, is that at various points I've had a variety of dark mode Google stuff. Most of it has disappeared. I even had my Google Calendar WIDGET dark for a week or so. It was so nice. Gone now. Assistant has been dark, news feed thing has been dark, Google homepage has been dark. Not all of them stick. No rhyme or reason. Google Keep widget has stayed dark for a long time now...which would be nicer if it matched the calendar widget on the same screen.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
The REALLY weird thing for me, is that at various points I've had a variety of dark mode Google stuff. Most of it has disappeared. I even had my Google Calendar WIDGET dark for a week or so. It was so nice. Gone now. Assistant has been dark, news feed thing has been dark, Google homepage has been dark. Not all of them stick. No rhyme or reason. Google Keep widget has stayed dark for a long time now...which would be nicer if it matched the calendar widget on the same screen.
Yeah it's kind of weird that the core Google applications do not have dark mode consistently.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
I wonder if some stuff was pulled because it was jet black and not the dark gray color. The assistant was like that when I was able to use it for those couple of weeks or so. It looked fine to me though, no complaints. however a lot of their dark mode stuff is really a dark gray. Just speculating,
also, from what I've been reading about the dark Gmail app and maybe Eric can verify this, is there is a switch in the Gmail settings to trigger it so that you can have it white or dark and not affect the rest of your overall dark mode. In effect, this would let you keep Gmail white if that was your preference

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I don't know. I mean the other application that use all the time as Google maps. The menu I is white Not only until I get to the navigation settings does it turn dark.

matty032

Trusted Member
Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
Saw co-workers Gmail dark mode. Very nice. Sucks I still don't have it. I also had Google app dark for a couple of days. And it was taken away.

matty032

Trusted Member
Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
Maybe they will do a big release of Gmail dark mode tomorrow while the Made by Google event is happening?

Umm, probably not.

Last edited: