Droid phone with no service--can we use it as an iPod?

remobec

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
Hello!

So we'd like to get someway to listen to music in our home. We have a lot of CDs and digital tunes (like Amazon, iTunes, etc.). Our idea is just like an old-fashioned stereo, only with some modern conveniences. The best I've been able to come up with (and this is the general idea we're going for) is some sort of iPod with something like this speaker: Amazon.com: Philips DC390/37 Dual-Docking 30-Pin iPod/iPhone/iPad Alarm Clock Speaker Dock: MP3 Players & Accessories

Problem is, it's all terribly expensive. We want something nice to play our music, all in one place, but we don't think we should be paying an arm and a leg for it. Well, I just found out my mom has an old Android phone that's not in service that she's been using for a clock.

As best as I can tell, it's a Droid 2.2.3. It's currently lacking a SD card, so I can't really test out it's music playing abilities. But for a phone like this without service:

Can I put music bought from Amazon or the Apple store on it?
Can I put music from CDs on it?
Can we create play lists, etc., to easily listen to different types of music?
Can we hook it up to some sort of speaker system (like the one linked above)?

Any other thoughts, warnings, tips, etc., about using this as a music player?

Thanks!

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Can I put music bought from Amazon
Probably
or the Apple store on it?
Probably not. That's so DRM-locked, it probably won't work.
Can I put music from CDs on it?
Sure. (Not legally, but ...)
Can we create play lists, etc., to easily listen to different types of music?
That depends on the app you use. Some of them do. (I don't use my phone for music - maybe some audiophiles know which apps would be best.)
Can we hook it up to some sort of speaker system (like the one linked above)?
Anything it will connect to - Bluetooth, wired from the headphone jack to a home stereo system or TV, etc.

Any other thoughts, warnings, tips, etc., about using this as a music player?
Keep the charger plugged in. And remember, it's a charger, not an external power supply. On an older phone, the charger might be able to keep up with the drain (my old Froyo phone could), but if not you'll have to turn it off when the battery gets low and let it recharge. Or get a few spare batteries and an off-the-phone charger - there are a few companies on Amazon that sell packages like that for about $25 - 2 batteries and a charger.