Gingerbread - Yawn?

Bushido Brown

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
I know this may not be a popular sentiment, since new OS updates usually send the Android community into a tailspin.

This isn't criticism, I wasn't expecting anything major from a dot one OS increment. I'm just sharing my thoughts on 2.3

Reactions: natehoch96

thekarens

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I think what you and many others don't realize is the tweaks that go on behind the scene. The visual differences might not be much, but the "under the hood" stuff is very cool and does make a big difference. It did with Froyo and it will with Gingerbread as well.

Bushido Brown

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
2.2 performance upgrades were well documented, and demonstrated. I haven't read anything specific about how 2.3 will run more efficiently. Just a bullet promising improved performance. I'm not let down, just not excited. Almost seems like this could have just been another branch of Froyo.

plower

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
2.2 performance upgrades were well documented, and demonstrated. I haven't read anything specific about how 2.3 will run more efficiently. Just a bullet promising improved performance. I'm not let down, just not excited. Almost seems like this could have just been another branch of Froyo.

I have to kind of agree. I don't remember where I heard it, but I heard long ago that Gingerbread would be a whole UI update that would eliminate 3rd party launchers and a lot of custom bloat that manufacturers put on devices.

I was hoping for, for lack of a better term, a fragmentation killer. Then all the haters wouldn't be able to just throw fragmentation around as an attempt to win their argument.

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
I'm kinda let down by this update also froyo was a big jump from 2.1 this seems like it could be 2.2.2 nothing really huge I guess hunnycomb will be the big update. Though I doubt many of the current phones will get that.

Jerzyiroc

May 19, 2010
Visit site
I remember when Android 2.2 came to the Evo people were complaining that "everything looked the same". Well the differences were huge from 2.1 to 2.2. While I'm sure there will be some other nice UI changes that we just haven't been able to see, I hope people aren't expecting their phones to look like something out of the Minority Report or holographic rabbits popping out of their phone. Android 2.3 will surely be a huge jump from 2.2, but it's not always about pretty stuff. I'm sure there will be some massive changes that has nothing to do with "how nice it looks".

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Oh I know they did behind the seen changes I guess I need to look into the changes more because to me it doesn't look major

anon(120)

Dec 9, 2008
Visit site
I think everybody's expectations of a point release are a tad too high. Gingerbread brings plenty of improvements and enhancements..

-UI refinements
-Faster, better keyboard
-Better power management
-Task manager is easier to get to.
-Internet calling -- SIP support!
-Near-field communications (NFC) for purchases and the like
-Better downloads management.

Baby steps people, baby steps. Android got to where it is because of 2 years of small tweaks and improvements with every update. If you're not happy with Gingerbread, try to use a G1 on 1.0 for a week. That's how these things get better. Baby steps.

These updates don't write themselves. I don't even want to think about the amount of hours that went into this update. I for one am perfectly happy with the Gingerbread announcement.

Reactions: Jerzyiroc

keebz

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I am hoping "Improved Power Management" includes a fix for the Droid Incredible's charging issue (which has been said to be a software/firmware issue). Still, any update is most welcome.

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Thinking about it now they have done leap baby step then another leap. Think about it 2.0 was a huge jump from 1.6, 2.1 was a baby step 2.2 seemed like a leap, gingerbread seems to be a baby step just adding features that weren't ready for froyo, so looking at it that way hunnycomb will be big

BSG75

Custom User Title
May 11, 2010
Visit site
I welcome all of the under-the-hood changes. I think we were waiting on the "one-UI-to-rule-them-all" and that was apparently misinformation. Not that I dislike the UI, I was just curious to see what huge improvements were on tap.

From a user experience, we don't see a big new user feature. 2.1 had turn-by-turn GPS and 2.2 had Flash. Still, everything that Jesse mentioned is stuff to look forward too. It would be nice to see it on my Incredible.

Oh, one thing that keeps me on Sense, though is the multiple "scenes." I have a running scene, driving scene, house-hunting scene, and some other scenes set up to compliment various live wallpapers. It would be nice if that functionality was built into Android.

DerekMorr

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
browser changes?

I was hoping to see improved HTML5 support. I haven't seen any so far from trying out the browser in the emulator. In fact, the webkit build is unchanged from 2.2.

ottscay

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm going to come down squarely on the side of "people aren't seeing the importance of the under-the-hood" changes. NFC will literally change the way we check in to places, shop, spend money (note those aren't identical), and share information with others...it just won't be obvious for much of the next year. Likewise, the work they did to expand the API to expose stuff for gaming and media content is laying the groundwork for major advances (/cough Playstation phone and Google Music), and their support of built in VOIP stacks and native video chat support will become huge in the next 6-12 months.

I suppose in a way people may never appreciate it, since outside of the music and gaming products we'll see in the next couple months (which themselves may be seen as separate projects) the other items won't come to fruition for end users until after Honeycomb is out, Still, getting them ready now so developers and major business partners can start to implement these large-scale changes to how we use mobile devices was a major undertaking. Honeycomb may have all the flash and sex appeal, but Gingerbread is absolutely huge in terms of building infrastructure for the long term.

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
Any performance and/or battery improvements are welcomed. Anyone on an EVO knows this to be true.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2

I feel as if it's anyone with Sense would know this. :p

But in all seriousness, there are a lot of changes under the hood so hopefully we will see some improvement on battery life across all devices running Gingerbread.

_JKK_

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
At the rate these 'smaller' .x increments are hitting Android, I'm happy.

After all, all these small updates add up. Comparing Android 2.2 and 2.0 shows that a lot has been done as far as small quirks that made the latter OS slightly harder and more annoying to use.

Overall, I'm happy with it. The keyboard should be an improvement.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mohamed-helmy