Will Honeycomb tablets ever be affordable?

Smokexz

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
It's obvious that these things require a lot of parts etc, but do we honestly think they will ever be at a cheaper price point? The Xoom and LG Optimus pad have prices floating around that are in the 1k range... can we just forget the fact that it is running Android and say they are all black slabs and all have essentially the same internals as say something like the BlackBerry Playbook or iPad, which by the way, are looking cheaper than any other tablet on the market. BlackBerry PlayBook is rumored a 500 dollars for a wi fi only version... If you need me to tell you the specs:

dual core arm processor
1gig of ram
7inch display
5mp rear camera
3mp front facing camera(count em!)

I doubt you can beat a price like that!

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
The Playbook is not a 3G device (and not even a true wifi-only device entirely - without a BB phone too to provide complete functionality). The XOOM Wifi is only $600 at launch and will surely drop over time. The $600 XOOM is very very price competitive with the Playbook even at launch IMO ..

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Uh... the Playbook has a model coming to Sprint, with 4g I believe.

Sent from my Nexus S

It needs a BB phone for full functionality ...

"As Forbes notes, however, it is true that the PlayBook needs to be tied to a BlackBerry for most PIM functions like contacts and calendar management, but Bidan says those features will come to the PlayBook separately "as the platform evolves" -- he didn't get much more specific than that, unfortunately."

Engadget article

Last edited:

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
My money says that once the xoom is released, and the 3.0 aosp source is available, the Gtab will be running Honeycomb (CM8?) within hours :)

Smokexz

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
My money says that once the xoom is released, and the 3.0 aosp source is available, the Gtab will be running Honeycomb (CM8?) within hours :)
Right, I remember you saying that will be a nice little tablet with mmodifications.

Sent from my Nexus S

whippingboy

May 13, 2010
Visit site
Agreed- even if Xoom wifi was available for $499, I'd probably still get the ipad due to the tablet app support and more vibrant screen...but at least THEN ipad2 would have some competition.

melt2sk8

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Uh, can't you root a NookColor to run Honeycomb?

I think that's what I understand but I'm old/uninformed and new to all of this. Maybe it's in the NC threads?

ds2dale

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
When has any new hardware not come down in price in a few months? VCRs, CD Players, MP3 players, GPS Receivers? The main reason the price is high at the moment is that the manufacturers are recouping the investment in the new process. Every new chip and also the new board artwork will come down in price as newer generation devices are released (and the cycle repeats...). Next year we'll have T3 Quad processors running at 1.5 GHz with 8GB ram and a 64GB sdxc as external storage. The price for all these first generation Android tablets will come down. But, the new ones will be expensive....

I will wait for them and chuckle at all you guys going crazy for the few coming out in trickles now.

calan

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
fail

It's obvious that these things require a lot of parts etc, but do we honestly think they will ever be at a cheaper price point? The Xoom and LG Optimus pad have prices floating around that are in the 1k range... can we just forget the fact that it is running Android and say they are all black slabs and all have essentially the same internals as say something like the BlackBerry Playbook or iPad, which by the way, are looking cheaper than any other tablet on the market. BlackBerry PlayBook is rumored a 500 dollars for a wi fi only version... If you need me to tell you the specs:

dual core arm processor
1gig of ram
7inch display
5mp rear camera
3mp front facing camera(count em!)

I doubt you can beat a price like that!

my acer iconia with HC 3.0

dual core
1gig of ram
10inch display
5pm rear
3mp front
mini usb
standard usb
mini hdmi
standard hdmi

for $471...

I DOUBT YOU CAN BEAT A PRICE LIKE THIS WITH MY ACER SPECS

edit: i forgot GPS too..

just waiting for blackberry os 6.1 so I create a wi-fi spot on my torch and i'll have internet everywhere =D

STL 314

May 13, 2011
Visit site
my acer iconia with HC 3.0

dual core
1gig of ram
10inch display
5pm rear
3mp front
mini usb
standard usb
mini hdmi
standard hdmi

for $471...

I DOUBT YOU CAN BEAT A PRICE LIKE THIS WITH MY ACER SPECS

edit: i forgot GPS too..

just waiting for blackberry os 6.1 so I create a wi-fi spot on my torch and i'll have internet everywhere =D

im thinking about getting that tablet sounds much better than galaxy tab 10.1