What is your preferred browser and why? Looking for specific features

petvas72

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Coming from an iPhone I had difficulties finding a browser that is as good as Safari, because mainly I miss two features:
- Tapping on the menu bar on top always scrolls the page to the top (on iOS - and it's system wide)
- Reader mode

I am now using Firefox which I like a lot, but it doesn't offer the first feature. It also has issues playing embedded YouTube videos. I would like to have the same functionality as in Safari, where playing an embedded video starts automatically in full screen mode.
Apart from these issues I like Firefox a lot, especially the add ons. It's great to have ad block and other nice plugins. This is something that Safari is still missing (but coming with iOS8).

So, which browser is your favorite and why?

barth2

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
I like Firefox for same reasons. Only thing is it seems slower than other browsers and use lots more memory. Also I don't like how they don't have tabs. You have to click button to show the windows you have opened.

You can double tap on a text column and zoom in to fit. This is common in iOS but I haven't found another android browser that does the same. I think it's because Firefox uses its own kit rather than whatever comes with Android.

Firefox does have reader mode. On some pages you'll see an icon on the right side in the url bar when page finishes loading.

I've tried chrome, uc, dolphin, boat, opera, and end up with Firefox.

petvas72

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Yes, Firefox does seem a bit slower but that depends on the website. I am certainly happy that we have it. It is my favorite browser so far but I wish Chrome becomes better.

Posted via the Android Central App

xperia2995

May 1, 2014
Visit site
Dolphin browser.
Dolphin browser has tabs and suppots html5 and flash
Its extremely fast when jetpack is enabled. But with jetpack, the address bar keeps goig hidden.
Also no live thumbnails like stock browser

p3ntyne

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
Having no need for a reader mode, I use CM's stock browser. It is quick and light.

This is also my first android phone and to get around the lack of quick scrolling, I use an app called "One Click Scroll". The only problem is it requires root.

I'd imagine FF + One Click Scroll would be the perfect solution for you.

petvas72

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Reader mode is really cool and especially on websites not optimized for mobile devices very useful.
Firefox is my favorite so far. Dolphin is not my thing. I tried it but didn't like it at all..

Update: I decided to give Chrome another chance, despite the lack of reader mode. It is much faster than Firefox and feels more complete as a browser. Having to scroll on top isn't as problematic as it could be, because scroll speed is very fast. I will test it for a couple of days and see how I feel about it.

Last edited:

grover5

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
I've only had my nexus 5 for a couple weeks but I like the chrome browser.

japark

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
I like Dolphin and Angel browsers, though Angel browser has been crashing on Kit Kat lately.

The reason I choose those two browsers is that they allow you to set them to clear their cache and history on exit. I don't want my phone tracking me (I turn off GPS except when I need it) and I don't want my browser tracking my internet usage.

robsawalker

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Have you tried chrome beta? It's just had an update to sort out some annoying bugs and I like it, although no reader mode as far as I'm aware but you could try the readability app.

Posted via Android Central App

treetopsranch

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
Haven't found a browser yet that allows you to read a PDF instead of downloading it first then opening it in another app. Windows browsers have been able to do that for many years.

Hordiyevych

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
Chrome Beta. Why? Android L-ness. That's it, I'm running an Android L theme. Also, it's chrome and I like that :D

Waliactico

Aug 16, 2014
Visit site
I like chrome, for it sync with my pc. All my tabs and everything are synced without doing anything.
If it's not chrome, I would say dolphin, it's a great browser with awesome features

007india

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
I like Firefox, but these days it looks bloated. I need to have a ready made feature to disable images (data connection) in websites without opening settings. I like Dolphin browser. Is there a no frill browser that doesn't allow images or open image only after clicking on the box? No animations too. Previously Firefox desktop version has this, but its removed.