Why doesn't KitKat store Whatsapp media on the sd card?

A

AC Question

Kitkat doesn't store whatsapp media on sd card

Hi.
I recently bought a new phone. However, it was really annoying to find that while my old phone which ran on Android Jelly Bean downloaded all whatsapp media files to the external sd card, this one loaded with an advanced version (Kitkat) stores the media on the phone memory. I've read quite a number of forums and have been convinced that it's not possible on a Kitkat run device. What surprises me is the fact that Android came up with a version which had less functionality than its predecessor!
Does anyone here have an insight into it?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Kitkat doesn't store whatsapp media on sd card

It's not "less functionality". Up to JellyBean, the SD card was an "external storage device", now it's part of the phone's file system. If you root and run NextApp SDFix: KitKat Writable MicroSD (root) (a system file has to be changed, and the phone has to be rooted to do that), you'll be able to store on the SD card again.

You can also try renaming the Whatsapp folder on the external SD card, running it again and telling it to store to the external SD card. (The problem is that, under JellyBean, there's no owner of the folder. Under KitKat, only the owner of the folder can write to it. If Whatsapp creates a new folder on the card, it can store to it.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress