Can You Turn Off the Pop-up Text Notifications???

RyMac04

BB Convert
Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Having this issue with GroupMe since 5.0. I can't stand how it pops up as a banner over any application or screen I'm in. I want the old notification tray at the top ONLY.

I can deal with the new lock screen, but having the banner pop up is extremely annoying.

quiverskeep

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
Why on earth would we want no notifications? The only time I use the feature you recommended is when I'm showing someone something on my phone and don't want the dumb banner showing my PRIVATE conversation to display to them. Private= every conversation. So frustrating, these notifications.

quiverskeep

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
Is ther any new informations about this? These "floating notifications" are what's currently holding me back from Android L.

What did Google think they were doing? Silent mode removed, now even giving incompetent devs to show massive pop-ups...
Yeah I hear ya. I just happened to get a replacement phone (S5) via warranty and it came without Lollipop, thankfully. I won't be upgrading until there's an option in Whatsapp to turn off those popups. If the option doesn't come, I'll have to switch to another chat app in order to upgrade.

fabrinirodrigues

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site
On whatsapp, I went to notifications > pop up notifications (messages and group messages) and > always show notifications. Believe it or not, the annoying pop up banner disappeared, but not the old notification at the top!

Cheeeeers

Neisha Barrett

Apr 25, 2015
Visit site
For messaging you can go to Settings>Sounds and notifications > Other Sounds > Messages > Uncheck Pop-up Display

For Groupme you have to go into the app settings and disable Heads Up notifications

Once again a company has "updated" a feature that was never broken to begin with. To all Developers simple and initiative is what we want. Stop fixing things that we don't complain about!!!!!

Now could someone tell me how to get rid of this awful orange on the messaging screen.

miss_vickies

Feb 26, 2015
Visit site
For messaging you can go to Settings>Sounds and notifications > Other Sounds > Messages > Uncheck Pop-up Display

For Groupme you have to go into the app settings and disable Heads Up notifications

Once again a company has "updated" a feature that was never broken to begin with. To all Developers simple and initiative is what we want. Stop fixing things that we don't complain about!!!!!

Now could someone tell me how to get rid of this awful orange on the messaging screen.

I ended up downloading a different messaging app (chompSMS) and installed a custom skin.... unfortunately, that is the only way. Maybe if you root or use Nova that can be customized, but not on stock. I hated the orange too.

And still no solution to the Whatsapp banner... ughhhh

radicchio

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
I wish there was a way to simply show the number of texts, emails, missed calls on the home screen ---like used to be able to do wtih the widget Missed It! Lollipop has changed notifications (for the worse IMO) so much that widgets like this apparently don't work. With Missed It! you could have the following on your home screen:

0 missed calls
3 texts
6 emails

I would also like to have custom tones that sound when calls or texts come in, unless they have been silenced. It seems like Lollipop has made what used to be simple too complicated---or even impossible

boe

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
]I have Lollipop on the G3 from Verizon. I've disabled popups in messenger, I've disabled interruptions, I've tried turning on pinning, I've tried disabling notifications, I've tried changing the priority. I still can't stop the popup at the center of my screen that STOPS everything else until you press the arrow in the bottom left of the screen. I've tried installing google messenger and setting it as the default text app.

Untitled-1.jpg

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    683.9 KB · Views: 25

emirsmith

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
+1 for the super annoying pop up notification banner.

If I could meet the genius who decided that this was a smart feature to force, I would congratulate him on his achievement...android developer or UI designer of the year award... RIDICULOUS.

Seriously, to all developers out there, here's an idea, when you think of a feature that should be included in an OS that millions use, how about a section where you can DISABLE IT IF YOU DONT LIKE IT???

K thanks, thats just my 2 cents on this.

Royster2A

May 17, 2015
Visit site
So anyone found a solution ?

I just got my Note 4 and am shocked that its gotten worse with Lolipop. Read all the above and agree with all of you , facing same problem with Whatsapp and Normal SMS

Is there any way to downgrade :p or to write to someone to fix this issue.

Am sure we can generate enough global support to this.

Thanks

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
You'll have the option to disable it "When device is locked" - Don't show notifications at all.

Yes, but sometimes that seems to disable toolbar notifcations too. For instance, I used to get notifications from gmail that I could see via a toolbar mail icon even when the device was locked. Now, they don't exist. I rather liked that!

But unless I turn off notifications on the lock screen I get an endless number of meaningless notifications--like Lookout telling me all is well; like Skype telling me it's available. Those, I'd like ONLY on the toolbar, but there seem no way to do that.

I like some banner notifications (text messages!) and the option to use them on the lockscreen...but there just aren't enough customization options from what I see to manage both the toolbar and the lockscreen.

NoWayOut76

Jun 1, 2015
Visit site
The following worked for me:
Go to notifications in whatsapp
Set notification tone to silent
uncheck contact ringtone
Set vibrate to off (interestingly popups still come when vibration is on????? who developed this?)
Select no popup

The vibrate made the difference. Try it and let me know if it works for you as well.