Will a factory reset revert to the OS I had when bought?

neuroxik

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
I haven't specified the model in the title or category because I think the answer would affect all phones, but just in case, I'm on a Galaxy S4 model SGM-I337m (Canada) and my provider (Koodo) pushed version 5.0.1 of Lollipop this week. For the record, I do not have root access because it seems to be a hastle with this Canadian model, although I haven't delved too much into it.

I want to have KitKat back. At the time of purchase (July 2014), I had KiKat v4.4.2, and I intuitively thought that factory resetting it would reinstall KitKat "as bought", but I've read it might not, so I'm still waiting for someone to confirm this. So, does a factory reset revert to the OS that was there when I bought the phone?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
No, it won't. It will revert to a clean install of the current firmware. Basically, a factory install erases user data and settings.

neuroxik

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
No, it won't. It will revert to a clean install of the current firmware. Basically, a factory install erases user data and settings.
Thanks! Sad, but thanks

If you want to restore, flash the stock ROM and that should do it.
That would invariably involve root access? I'm asking because a friend of mine wants to do the same but doesn't know how to root.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
That would invariably involve root access?
No, because it's the ROM that gets rooted. Rooting the ROM you're about to replace is a waste of time.

I'm asking because a friend of mine wants to do the same but doesn't know how to root.
Have him read [Samsung] How to flash Stock ROM via ODIN. However, I don't think you can backdate a Samsung over a full version number, IOW from 5 to 4. You can go from 5.0.1 to 5.0, but 5.0.1 to 4.4.4 might not work.

neuroxik

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
No, because it's the ROM that gets rooted. Rooting the ROM you're about to replace is a waste of time.

Have him read How to flash Stock ROM via ODIN. However, I don't think you can backdate a Samsung over a full version number, IOW from 5 to 4. You can go from 5.0.1 to 5.0, but 5.0.1 to 4.4.4 might not work.

This should work: How to Root Galaxy S4! | GalaxyS4Root.com
Or just do what Rukbat said.

Thanks to you both! This info is precious

neuroxik

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
Your welcome sir :cool:

I know I should maybe be starting another thread for this, I'm asking just in case I'm not wearing out your patience (otherwise I'll understand :) ), but...
I was looking for a stock ROM of 4.4.2 . My guess is that I should go with the version for my model and service provider (which happens to be more rare as it's not part of the 3 major Canadian corps, well, the mirrors for those stock ROMs are rare or I have failed to find yet), so my question is:

I have S4 SGM-I337m (that's an i, not 1, I know, pretty "leet") but the stock ROMs I found on androidRomUpdate (can't link from here, not enough user privileges) list everything but the baseband version "i337MVLUGOC4". There's versions that look like it, like I337MVLUFNC1, but I'm afraid they wouldn't work for my ...GOC4 (is that the case?). If we want to broaden my question, whether it's v4.4.2 of KitKat or anything, should the baseband version be the same altogether or just the model (SGM-I337m) suffices?

EDIT: After a few searches, I've discovered the 4 last characters are most likely region/carrier based, so the only possible solution to bypass that would be to unlock region/carrier/etc, but I'm sick of paying unlocking fees (not my first phone), is this really what it is?

EDIT 2: By comparing to an old screenshot (thank "god" I had done one) I had done instead of typing my firmware details, I just saw that the baseband version also changes when updating Android version, so it's not only carrier/region specific. Mine was, at the time of KitKat 4.4.2, i337MVLUFNE1. Sooo... would that mean that I could choose the FNE1 PDA version even if not it ends in GOC4 ?

Last edited:

rcunningham

Jan 5, 2015
Visit site
I know I should maybe be starting another thread for this, I'm asking just in case I'm not wearing out your patience (otherwise I'll understand :) ), but...
I was looking for a stock ROM of 4.4.2 . My guess is that I should go with the version for my model and service provider (which happens to be more rare as it's not part of the 3 major Canadian corps, well, the mirrors for those stock ROMs are rare or I have failed to find yet), so my question is:

I have S4 SGM-I337m (that's an i, not 1, I know, pretty "leet") but the stock ROMs I found on androidRomUpdate (can't link from here, not enough user privileges) list everything but the baseband version "i337MVLUGOC4". There's versions that look like it, like I337MVLUFNC1, but I'm afraid they wouldn't work for my ...GOC4 (is that the case?). If we want to broaden my question, whether it's v4.4.2 of KitKat or anything, should the baseband version be the same altogether or just the model (SGM-I337m) suffices?

EDIT: After a few searches, I've discovered the 4 last characters are most likely region/carrier based, so the only possible solution to bypass that would be to unlock region/carrier/etc, but I'm sick of paying unlocking fees (not my first phone), is this really what it is?

EDIT 2: By comparing to an old screenshot (thank "god" I had done one) I had done instead of typing my firmware details, I just saw that the baseband version also changes when updating Android version, so it's not only carrier/region specific. Mine was, at the time of KitKat 4.4.2, i337MVLUFNE1. Sooo... would that mean that I could choose the FNE1 PDA version even if not it ends in GOC4 ?

It should work...

rcunningham

Jan 5, 2015
Visit site
Wow, you just made my day. I'm trying it tomorrow. And no, if it fails, I'm not holding you responsible. Thanks again!

If it fails I will help you fix the phone. If a Samsung phone bricks you can almost always recover it with odin. Kinda like the Droid X with sfb. I was able to recover my HARD BRICKED Droid X with sfb and it saved my life.

neuroxik

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
If it fails I will help you fix the phone. If a Samsung phone bricks you can almost always recover it with odin. Kinda like the Droid X with sfb. I was able to recover my HARD BRICKED Droid X with sfb and it saved my life.

Wow, thanks. Will keep you updated. For the moment didn't have the time to get around doing it (must backup first) but will let you know if I get stuck, thanks for the offer again.

neuroxik

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
However, I don't think you can backdate a Samsung over a full version number, IOW from 5 to 4. You can go from 5.0.1 to 5.0, but 5.0.1 to 4.4.4 might not work.

Well, it DID WORK!! I've put two screenshots below, one before (still with Lollipop, 5.0.1) and after, Flashing back to KitKat, 4.4.2 ! Everything's fully functional now. I followed the guide you linked me (which you authored, can't link according to my user privileges here though), so thanks again for your devotion. It actually was pretty easy, I just wasn't familiar with the Galaxy S4 flashing lexicon but after reading a bit it's quite simple, the longest part was actually just backing everything up. (continued after screenshots)

01 Scrnsht_2015-04-27-21-02-29 --.jpgScreenshot_2015-04-28-01-19-31 --.jpg

It should work...
As I was saying above, everything worked out fine. Only problem was when I booted from the "new" ROM, it got stuck on the boot screen with the flashing Samsung logo. After 15 minutes I figured it might not be just some longer first boot so I did a wipe data / factory reset in Recovery Mode, then a wipe cache partition, rebooted and now everything was back up running.

While I'm on the subject about Recovery Mode, a lot of guides said to hold the Power + Volume Up + Home and I just kept cycling reboots endlessly so if this can serve as a guide to anyone else: Do NOT hold the Home button (and yes, I'm on an S4), just the Power + Volume Up. I actually pulled out the battery/reinserted to be sure it wasn't still stuck on an auto-reboot and THEN hold Power + Volume Up. As soon as the phone turns on (you feel it vibrate or see stuff), let go of the power button and keep holding Volume Up until the recovery mode screen appears.

Anyhow, thanks to you all, I have my KitKat back!

rcunningham

Jan 5, 2015
Visit site
Well, it DID WORK!! I've put two screenshots below, one before (still with Lollipop, 5.0.1) and after, Flashing back to KitKat, 4.4.2 ! Everything's fully functional now. I followed the guide you linked me (which you authored, can't link according to my user privileges here though), so thanks again for your devotion. It actually was pretty easy, I just wasn't familiar with the Galaxy S4 flashing lexicon but after reading a bit it's quite simple, the longest part was actually just backing everything up. (continued after screenshots)

View attachment 174112View attachment 174113

As I was saying above, everything worked out fine. Only problem was when I booted from the "new" ROM, it got stuck on the boot screen with the flashing Samsung logo. After 15 minutes I figured it might not be just some longer first boot so I did a wipe data / factory reset in Recovery Mode, then a wipe cache partition, rebooted and now everything was back up running.

While I'm on the subject about Recovery Mode, a lot of guides said to hold the Power + Volume Up + Home and I just kept cycling reboots endlessly so if this can serve as a guide to anyone else: Do NOT hold the Home button (and yes, I'm on an S4), just the Power + Volume Up. I actually pulled out the battery/reinserted to be sure it wasn't still stuck on an auto-reboot and THEN hold Power + Volume Up. As soon as the phone turns on (you feel it vibrate or see stuff), let go of the power button and keep holding Volume Up until the recovery mode screen appears.

Anyhow, thanks to you all, I have my KitKat back!

This is awesome news! I had confidence in it because I went from KitKat all the way back to Gingerbread on my Droid X. So if I can go from 4.4.2 to 2.3.4, then you can go from 5.0.2 to 4.4.2.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
textura