The dreaded factory reset after the dreaded random restarts

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Hey Note peeps

Just stopping by for a minute. Yes, I had to do factory reset yesterday because my Note started to restart itself. I tried all the tricks to fix it but it was going to be a needle in a haystack to find the culprit. It had been happening for about a month but it started to get really bad. At least twice a day and always off the charger when I was not using it.

Hopefully this solves the problem or I will be pullng out my warranty card for a swap. I haven't had to factory reset a phone in a long time. It was like starting from scratch and took me several hours yesterday and several today. I have had a love/hate relationship with this Note. Hopefully things go well until my time with it is up. I want to love it full time. I have loved all my other Notes.

Hope you all are well and having a great weekend.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Ugh! I'm sorry to hear that your Note 20 is so buggy lately. I hope this reset works and you don't need to send it for repair. Please keep us posted.

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Ugh! I'm sorry to hear that your Note 20 is so buggy lately. I hope this reset works and you don't need to send it for repair. Please keep us posted.

Thank you! A few minutes ago my phone disconnected from my bluetooth, which isn't normally unusual but I though, on no, it restarted. Happily it didn't. I'll keep you posted.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Thank you! A few minutes ago my phone disconnected from my bluetooth, which isn't normally unusual but I though, on no, it restarted. Happily it didn't. I'll keep you posted.
Hi, next time try safe mode to rule out any 3rd party apps causing this.

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Hi, next time try safe mode to rule out any 3rd party apps causing this.

Mustang, I thought about that at the time but I was not sure how I would know in safe mode that an app was acting up. As you may see from a more recent post of someone else's phone restarting, mine was great for almost a month after the factory reset and it restarted itself again last night. GRRRRR .... I am going to look for that "nice catch" app you suggested. It looks like this is an actual problem that Samsung needs to address since it is not just me.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Mustang, I thought about that at the time but I was not sure how I would know in safe mode that an app was acting up. As you may see from a more recent post of someone else's phone restarting, mine was great for almost a month after the factory reset and it restarted itself again last night. GRRRRR .... I am going to look for that "nice catch" app you suggested. It looks like this is an actual problem that Samsung needs to address since it is not just me.
Hi skategirl , the problem with safe mode it disables 3rd party apps and need to try for long periods of time to see , if it doesn't then start looking at 3rd party apps if it does then more then likely a update or software bug .

Yeah been seeing more people reporting this lately but try Nice Catch see if it picks up anything

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I am not even sure a warranty swap would change things since it is happening with others. I was just on with Samsung, which I knew would not help, but they suggested sending the phone into the shop, which I have no intention of sending my phone in and being without a phone. I pay the big Verizon insurance bucks but I wanted Samsung to say the phone needed to be fixed so that Verizon doesn't give me a hard time with the extended warranty. I feel like Samsung doesn't care about this phone, which is why they were practically giving it away. Now I have either 13 months with the beast or switch to T-Mobile, have them pay it off and then get a different phone. Either way, this is very inconvenient.

jeetu4444

Trusted Member
Sep 3, 2014
Visit site
Guys my Note 20 ultra 512gb snapdragon version suddenly died on me...
Phone is on and all but screen is black
Any help ?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Guys my Note 20 ultra 512gb snapdragon version suddenly died on me...
Phone is on and all but screen is black
Any help ?
Can you get into recovery volume up /power button sane time or download mode cable connected to your computer power/both volumes same time ?

jeetu4444

Trusted Member
Sep 3, 2014
Visit site
Can you get into recovery volume up /power button sane time or download mode cable connected to your computer power/both volumes same time ?
Haven't tried that yet...
Saw some youtube videos tried force restart and all still no luck...guess will wait till battery dies