Bulk move to SD card?

vaderag

Mar 19, 2016
Visit site
I just got an SD card for my phone. I can see that o can move apps to SD card by going Settings -> Apps -> [app name] -> Storage type

But this will take AGES to move all my apps...

Is there a bulk way to do this?
Thanks

TheChosenDoge

Feb 19, 2016
Visit site
I just got an SD card for my phone. I can see that o can move apps to SD card by going Settings -> Apps -> [app name] -> Storage type

But this will take AGES to move all my apps...

Is there a bulk way to do this?
Thanks

Nope sorry.

You must move Apps one by one..and sometimes when a app is updates via store it will re-add itself to the internal memory

Also..this feature is allowed on a App by App basis based on developers choice some don't allow it and some do and some just allow data to be moved but not the app itself

Google...power to the developer! But not us :(

joantbak

Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
This has to be the most frustrating thing about Android.
I have 32GB internal mem but also use Android ware which has to have apps installed on internal memory. Every few weeks I'm getting insufficient storage errors when I get several updates to apps at once and other back ground updates that have caused previously SD moved apps to be installed back to internal storage.
Really wish Google would sort this out

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
While some parts of some apps will be moved to the SD card, ultimately you will not be happy.

The SD card is best used for your media files: pictures, music, videos, documents.

Some well-written apps will allow you to pick the SD card for their data storage. By this definition, most apps are not well written.

Your apps are best left on the internal storage.

Janzell

Feb 26, 2016
Visit site
This really sucks! It just needs some mobile phone manufacturer to support the bulk transfer and I would immediately buy that phone.... and I believe many other users would too.

hobs0n

Nov 26, 2017
Visit site
I'd like to the very opposite action, bulk move as many apps as possible from the SD card to the internal storage :)
The reason for me is that my Moto X Force has 32GB internal storage and most bigger apps automatically installs to the SD card, all pictures is stored to the SD card. Which means I have almost 20gb free on the internal storage for no usage since I have formatted the SD card as non-portable to gain security and speed.

Bifrons

Nov 28, 2017
Visit site
I have an S7 edge and am considering the alternative due to this sd vs internal dilemma. If one can manually go in and move apps back to the SD after an update, I see no reason that an option can be available to leave the apps where they are at or allow a bulk move feature after. These devices do much more amazing things than this, but for some reason, they can't figure this out. It doesn't make sense. I haven't programmed in many moons, but this seems like a simple fix.

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
It is not that the apps get moved from the SD card to internal storage AFTER the update. The move happens DURING the update because the update APK is placing the new files back at the default storage location for the program files.

The problem is not the location of the program files. The real problem is the location of the data files, which should always be configurable. Unfortunately, too many programmers are too lazy to get it right.

ShannonHTC

May 26, 2015
Visit site
It is not that the apps get moved from the SD card to internal storage AFTER the update. The move happens DURING the update because the update APK is placing the new files back at the default storage location for the program files.

The problem is not the location of the program files. The real problem is the location of the data files, which should always be configurable. Unfortunately, too many programmers are too lazy to get it right.

Android could at the very least make it easier to bulk move apps. for instance instead of going into each individual app checking where it's stored and changing it... you would go to storage, there would be your app list and perhaps a row of checkboxes you could select and a move to external button (or something along those lines. There's not even an easy way to check which are stored where (for those of us who don't know which apps have recently updated at all times). This IMO is Adnroid's #1 drawback.

imransuhail

Nov 14, 2018
Visit site
Yes there is - App2SD has been around for at least 6 years.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.a0soft.gphone.app2sd

There are lots of apps on the play store with similar names unfortunately. Just make sure you get the one with the most downloads. It can bulk move apps.

This is the correct solution. Used the app. the didnt move all the apps i selected but moved most of them. I probably had many of them running in the background so its ok. As long as I dont have to manually do this for each app this is a timesaver