Wifi connects then immediately disconnects after odd popup.

makaiguy

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
Samsung Galaxy S7 on Verizon, Android 7.0

Western Digital N750 Dual band router, with 4 networks set up (regular and guest nets on both 2.4 and 5.6). My normal wifi connection is to the regular 2.4 net.

A week or so ago I was connected to my normal home 2.4 net when I had a popup saying something about some abnormal wifi activity being detected and asked if I wanted to block this, or words to that effect (wish I had kept notes on exactly what it said). I clicked the button to block it.

Since then I have not been able to connect to that same home net. It goes through the motions, says I'm connected then immediately disconnects and reconnects to one of the other 3 home nets. None of my other devices have any trouble connecting to this net, so it seems to be a problem with the phone only. I cannot find anything about how to remove this block that I apparently added.

I have told it to "forget" the problem net, but it still cannot hold the connection after I reconnect and add in the password.

Elsewhere I've seen recommendations to turn off Smart Switch, but that hasn't helped.

And of course, I've rebooted the phone a number of times.

Any suggestions?

[Added Feb 6, 2018]
In case this helps somebody else ...

I fixed this by going into the router and changing the SSID for the problem net. This then necessitated reconfiguring all my wifi devices to connect to this "new" net.

Later I found what I think is the culprit in a Verizon app called "Security & Privacy". Under "Wi-Fi security" it listed 2 blocked networks, one of which was the home net in question's original SSID. The description in the app for blocked networks is "Networks you always disconnect from", which sounds exactly like what I was seeing. I removed the entry for the original SSID, but now that I've changed the net's SSID, I can't easily go back and try connecting to the original SSID to see if that would have fixed it (but I'm 99.9% sure it would).

Last edited:

link5817

May 10, 2018
Visit site
OMG - thank you so much. I had this same problem (S6, Android 8.0). ...ie, got a popup and dismissed/"declined" it impulsively (so didn't know where it came from) and immediately got kicked off my primary router. After several days of trying to figure out what happened, called verizon support, spent many hours trying everything they could think off, including getting on 3-way calls w/ both comcast and samsung... and wasting a lot of time repeatedly messing with irrelevant phone connection settings, forgetting routers, wiping network settings and caches etc., probing the integrity of my home network, and other things i'm no doubt forgetting. After several days and many hours on the phone w/ customer services, i was instructed (by samsung) to do a factory reset on the phone or contact google customer service, as "they're the one's who know about apps; we don't do apps". Fortunately, on a whim today, I did yet another browser search to find a solution...and luckily stumbled on this post... which allowed me to solve the probelm in, oh, about 30 seconds!
fyi: even tho i hate calling customer service, i did call verizon back so that i could tell the nice person who spent hours on the phone with me that the solution was right there in front of us all the time (and cetainly something that should have a occurred to a verizon rep...since it was their app doing apparently what it was desgined to do!)
Oh well - glad it's over now... and thanks again to makaiguy or whoever posted this solution :)

Samsung Galaxy S7 on Verizon, Android 7.0

Western Digital N750 Dual band router, with 4 networks set up (regular and guest nets on both 2.4 and 5.6). My normal wifi connection is to the regular 2.4 net.

A week or so ago I was connected to my normal home 2.4 net when I had a popup saying something about some abnormal wifi activity being detected and asked if I wanted to block this, or words to that effect (wish I had kept notes on exactly what it said). I clicked the button to block it.

Since then I have not been able to connect to that same home net. It goes through the motions, says I'm connected then immediately disconnects and reconnects to one of the other 3 home nets. None of my other devices have any trouble connecting to this net, so it seems to be a problem with the phone only. I cannot find anything about how to remove this block that I apparently added.

I have told it to "forget" the problem net, but it still cannot hold the connection after I reconnect and add in the password.

Elsewhere I've seen recommendations to turn off Smart Switch, but that hasn't helped.

And of course, I've rebooted the phone a number of times.

Any suggestions?

[Added Feb 6, 2018]
In case this helps somebody else ...

I fixed this by going into the router and changing the SSID for the problem net. This then necessitated reconfiguring all my wifi devices to connect to this "new" net.

Later I found what I think is the culprit in a Verizon app called "Security & Privacy". Under "Wi-Fi security" it listed 2 blocked networks, one of which was the home net in question's original SSID. The description in the app for blocked networks is "Networks you always disconnect from", which sounds exactly like what I was seeing. I removed the entry for the original SSID, but now that I've changed the net's SSID, I can't easily go back and try connecting to the original SSID to see if that would have fixed it (but I'm 99.9% sure it would).

Last edited:

makaiguy

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
Glad this worked out for you. So removing your home network's name from Verizon's "Security & Privacy" app's "Wi-Fi security" section was all you needed to do? If so, it's good to have this confirmed since I never went back to my original SSID name to check it out.