Possible Virus - Play Store opens randomly to specific games/apps

binxiboo

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
That link on my desktop brings me to Poshmark shopping app on Google Play. IS that what you were seeing?

Yes that is the link. It will however, show different apps on each opening. Some of mine have showed a racing game, some monster game, and a few others that I can't recall bc I close it out immediately.

Posted via Android Central App

Eyezayah

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
I also have music paradise and I have started getting these popups from admob

Like a lot of you, I also had Music Paradise Pro on my phone and just recently started getting the admob pops. I uninstalled, so I'll give it a day or two and let you guys know if the issue persists.

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
This sounds like what malware bytes calls a "pup" -- potentially unwanted program. It's not a destructive virus per se --at least so it seems--in the sense of destroying or stealing data, it just sort of does its own thing in driving you crazy with inane advertising ploys.

Has anyone thought to contact the makers of the particular apps that seem most associated with this? It may well be that they bundled something with the apps not realizing how annoyed people were going to be. If they are even the least bit reputable, they may address this by removing the bundled code, or telling you how to get rid of it. They may have thought it was a good idea at first. They may reconsider if they start getting lots of complaints. Assuming there is anything reputable at all here.

empire designs

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
As read above, I also have music paradise pro and the whether channel - both of which SEEM to be consistent. I don't have any additional keyboards Though I've had both apps for a significant amount of time, at least 3 mos since I got this phone new, these admob pop ups have only recently started within 3 days... Maybe a recent update to one of those 2 apps? Though I would tent to believe the weather channel would be a more trusted app developer I think I'll remove music paradise pro and see if that does the trick.

peacefulberry

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
Looks like you have found the culprit. ..Music Paradise! Also if everyone that experienced this could leave a review warning others that this is a malware app and report the app to Google as well so ithers won't be affected.

CoqRoi

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
So, I just started having this problem a few days ago as well and I also have the Music Download Paradise Pro app installed. Here's the thing - I think the app updated a few days ago because I noticed a red & white "NEW" label next to the "Library" and "Playlist" options under "More" on the home screen of the app. I thought nothing of it.

Now a few days later I'm having this issue, I search the troubling link address in Google and end up here, I see MDPP mentioned as a potential culprit, so I go to the Play Store - the app isn't listed as an app I have installed!
I search the Store for the app and find it, appearing new as of July 22, 2014 with no updates listed, 100,000+ installs - and, of course, not installed on my device...

It's all weird and potentially coincidental, but I'm going to uninstall it and see what happens over the next few days, as another poster suggested...

megeed

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
I too have the issue and have the Music Download Paradise Pro installed. I am removing it/rebooting. Hopefully this solves the issue.

HelenaR3

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
I have the same problem and I have the same app (Music download paradise pro). I thought it was the PhotoRepost (Respost Instagram) app that I just uninstalled.

Bulkybear

May 27, 2011
Visit site
I guess many people don't know this so I'll speak up. It's what's known as a drive by download. Except for on Android it just redirects to an app on the play store. And if you're like most people and have the Google Play app set as the default for Play Store links, it will automatically open the Play store, otherwise it will pop up a box and ask you if you want to open the link in Google Play or the browser. Same as if you google an app and click on its play store link for the website. These automatic redirects are usually caused by websites (I see more and more guilty every day). Can also be caused by apps. Its a way of advertisement. I completely cleared all cookies and history from my browser and then turned off JavaScript to disable any redirects in background scripts and have been able to visit the same web pages that would always trigger the redirect without issue. Hope that helps.

Also, to clarify, the only way to be the victim of a virus on Android is to manually run it or grant it permission to run. Android is not Windows.

Last edited by a moderator:

ShellyLynn88

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
I have been so frustrated with this the last few days! I also had music paradise pro, but before I uninstalled it, I was not able to leave a review. that option was not there!

thisUser

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
SO happy (and kinda impressed) that we figured that one out- Phil, well done.

Heres the link to send a report about a malicious app:
https://support.google.com/googleplay/android-developer/contact/takedown

I just sent one, but maybe if they get over a certain threshold of reports about an app, they might actually look at it.

The address to the app: (h)ttp://play.google(dot)com/store/apps/details?id=com.music.paradise.freepro
obviously- replace the nonsense...

binxiboo

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
So, I just started having this problem a few days ago as well and I also have the Music Download Paradise Pro app installed. Here's the thing - I think the app updated a few days ago because I noticed a red & white "NEW" label next to the "Library" and "Playlist" options under "More" on the home screen of the app. I thought nothing of it.

Now a few days later I'm having this issue, I search the troubling link address in Google and end up here, I see MDPP mentioned as a potential culprit, so I go to the Play Store - the app isn't listed as an app I have installed!
I search the Store for the app and find it, appearing new as of July 22, 2014 with no updates listed, 100,000+ installs - and, of course, not installed on my device...

It's all weird and potentially coincidental, but I'm going to uninstall it and see what happens over the next few days, as another poster suggested...

I also could not find it( Music Paradise Pro) in the Play Store. I uninstalled and hope that ends the issues.

Posted via Android Central App

Jaime Odom

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
I also have the Music Paradise Pro app. I have deleted it now so we will wait and see. I've only had the pop up once today. Thanks for all the help & thoughts with this.

Jenna Wood

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
So ive recently noticed this problem as well.. maybe over the last week.. I havnt downloaded any new app recently.. in fact i barely have any apps downloaded at all. I noticed a couple people mentioned the music paradise app.. my bf downloaded that onto my phone a couple of months ago.. so I figured maybe all of a sudden this app is to blameI'll deleted it about 10 hrs ago and havent noticed the problem since.. fingers crossed ill let you know if it comes back