MailDroid vs K-9

GynormousMellon#AC

May 6, 2010
Visit site
@everyone

I am working hard on the next version. I assume it will be available at the end of the week. This is probably the biggest release I have done (features, changes, and fixes) since version 1.10. Give me some time, and perhaps in a day or so, I will leak some new features that are already done ;-)

MailDroidDev,

Keep up the great work, so far I've been very impressed with what you have done and your attention to "customer" service. I'd be willing to pay a reasonable fee if you eventually develop something that is close to how BlackBerry handles mail. This seems to be one of the short falls of Android.

dmnall

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
MailDroidDev,

Keep up the great work, so far I've been very impressed with what you have done and your attention to "customer" service. I'd be willing to pay a reasonable fee if you eventually develop something that is close to how BlackBerry handles mail. This seems to be one of the short falls of Android.

I agree to some points with handling of e-mail, however, the thing I do not miss with BB is the truncated messages and I like how MailDroid, displays all of my messages with out any issues. I cannot wait until there is a combined box that will show all new messages.

Cheers,
Charlie

itguy09

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
So I installed MailDroid to give a shot as there's a few things I don't like about K-9 and the stock client on my Droid X won't delete IMAP on the server.

So far I really like it but I've got a couple questions:

1) Is Secure SMTP broken? I can't get it to work and it did work on K-9.

2) One thing I like about K9 is when you check the boxes to delete mail you get a couple buttons on the bottom of the screen. Very helpful when you go to delete a bunch of checked messages. Rather than menu button or holding.

3) Speed. K9 seems to cache the messages and MDroid doesn't? Is that true?

Other than those I love the program and will gladly pay for it!

J_Bone

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
2) One thing I like about K9 is when you check the boxes to delete mail you get a couple buttons on the bottom of the screen. Very helpful when you go to delete a bunch of checked messages. Rather than menu button or holding.

+1.1 (Needed the .1 for the 3 character limit thingy, which has obviously become less and less of an issue..... Carry on.)

maildroiddev

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
So I installed MailDroid to give a shot as there's a few things I don't like about K-9 and the stock client on my Droid X won't delete IMAP on the server.

So far I really like it but I've got a couple questions:

1) Is Secure SMTP broken? I can't get it to work and it did work on K-9.

3) Speed. K9 seems to cache the messages and MDroid doesn't? Is that true?

Other than those I love the program and will gladly pay for it!

1. If you have cram-md5 it might be broken as I had a bug in my code, fixed already and will be released this weekend
2. Slight issue because of my ads ;-) This would be one of those features I'd offer in the paid version (when I am out of beta)
3. This all changes in the next release. MD in your version caches POP3 only and even that is a bit raw.

maildroiddev

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
@everyone

OK, so the release is finally "planned" for this weekend. I figured, I'd give you a sneak at 'some' of the features that are done and fully working right now:

1. Delete from phone only: Yes, finally!
2. Filter (by read/unread/flagged etc.)
3. Speed: Performance has gone through some crazy changes. As the beta testers will say, it has improved a lot.
4. More stuff ;)

One note, filter is not my definition of search. I have search planned for a different release.

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
When will favorites be added? Example all my emails from one person I added to a folder like the HTC email app

ggh514

Jul 26, 2010
Visit site
@everyone

OK, so the release is finally "planned" for this weekend. I figured, I'd give you a sneak at 'some' of the features that are done and fully working right now:

1. Delete from phone only: Yes, finally!
2. Filter (by read/unread/flagged etc.)
3. Speed: Performance has gone through some crazy changes. As the beta testers will say, it has improved a lot.
4. More stuff ;)

One note, filter is not my definition of search. I have search planned for a different release.

I have been testing for maildroid and this new release is going to be great. Very smooth and has great fatures. Cannot give details as you will have to see for yourself when new version comes out.

azjerry

Dec 16, 2009
Visit site
A request for next time. When I send an email a copy is put in the sent folder as expected. But... The copy is marked as unread (at least according to Thunderbird) which, while technically true, is counter to the Thunderbird and Outlook. Can these be made read?

GynormousMellon#AC

May 6, 2010
Visit site
I agree to some points with handling of e-mail, however, the thing I do not miss with BB is the truncated messages and I like how MailDroid, displays all of my messages with out any issues. I cannot wait until there is a combined box that will show all new messages.

Cheers,
Charlie

You're right!!!! and I also forgot about how I miss that little hour glass, battery pulls........

maildroiddev

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
A request for next time. When I send an email a copy is put in the sent folder as expected. But... The copy is marked as unread (at least according to Thunderbird) which, while technically true, is counter to the Thunderbird and Outlook. Can these be made read?

Hmmm, odd, I'll take a look.

NEST600

Jul 29, 2010
twitter.com
So....... Samsung is going to hire you do redo all the Touchwiz mail and calendar and such, right? Yes? Thanks, the first flight to Seoul is in about seven minutes! Let us know you arrive safely!! ;-) -Pk

patbm1930#AC

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Awesome. Can't wait for the new features. Just out of curiosity as a simple user how much time per day/week do you spend programming this? Are you working on other apps too or do you just have another day job?

jrcbandit

May 27, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone had any issues with Maildroid notifications lately for IMAP polling? It only notifies me of new mail when I actually go into the account. Both of my accounts are IMAP but neither support IDLE/push. I had them set to poll every 60 minutes but that no longer works. I am not entirely sure if the problem is Froyo (upgraded to Froyo on my EVO 4G last week) or the newest version of Maildroid, but when I used to run Eclair and the previous version of Maildroid, there were 0 issues.

Virtual69

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone had any issues with Maildroid notifications lately for IMAP polling? It only notifies me of new mail when I actually go into the account. Both of my accounts are IMAP but neither support IDLE/push. I had them set to poll every 60 minutes but that no longer works. I am not entirely sure if the problem is Froyo (upgraded to Froyo on my EVO 4G last week) or the newest version of Maildroid, but when I used to run Eclair and the previous version of Maildroid, there were 0 issues.

I notified the developer of a similar issue via his blog on Slideme a couple days ago. He said no one else reported anything similar so I'm glad to see someone else is having an issue as well :). I'm not using polling, but persistent connections. I noticed that if the connection breaks, MD doesn't always seem able to reopen it until I go into the app. Or, 90% of the time I go into MD, I select a mailbox, then it'll say "Loading..." after a second or two, the screen will clear and then nothing. If I refresh mailbox, the emails come up fine.

I'm using the UWashington 2007e IMAP server.

maildroiddev

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
Awesome. Can't wait for the new features. Just out of curiosity as a simple user how much time per day/week do you spend programming this? Are you working on other apps too or do you just have another day job?

I have a day job and work at night. I actually am running at around 4 hours of sleep the last 6 months (kind of killed my social life). The real goal of this is to take over my day job. I spend 5-6 hours per day on MD...but weekends I try and relax.

maildroiddev

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site

I do have a guess and it might be related to sleep mode. The next version will have a secondary option for sleep mode 'wake up". Having said that, it could be something else...hard to tell.

itguy09

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
1. If you have cram-md5 it might be broken as I had a bug in my code, fixed already and will be released this weekend
2. Slight issue because of my ads ;-) This would be one of those features I'd offer in the paid version (when I am out of beta)
3. This all changes in the next release. MD in your version caches POP3 only and even that is a bit raw.

Thanks for the update - your customer service rocks!

I'm not sure what our Web host uses - it's HostMonster if that helps.

I'd gladly pay for an ad-free version of MailDroid if it has that feature. Another neat feature that I'd pay for is a way to change the fonts, bold, etc. within the mail client. I know the Droid X's mail client allows you to do that..

2 more things that would be great:

1) When you get mail, have the notification take you to your list of mail rather than just to the account list.

2) When I'm viewing a mail message how do I get to the next message? In K-9 there's a forward and back arrow at the bottom. I've tried swiping left right, up, down and nothing. I could just be missing it though.

Love the app and looking forward to the new versions. Definitely going a keeper.