Alarm Clock App - Any Suggestions and help?

blackops#IM

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
I was also use BB Alarm Clock I believe it was and I loved it for my Berry. I am not to fond, actually I will just come out and say it I do not like the Android alarm clock,

Anyone have a suggestion for this.....I miss my BB 4 1 reason now I like being able to select some of my music or other mp3's for my alarm sound. However you cannot do that at all on the Droid......at least I have not been able to figure it out.

Also you are not able to set the volume level of the alarm clock. At least not from the alarm clock app itself. Not sure where else I would do this at.

I hate the default sounds for the Alarm clock. It went off today and I almost wanted to throw my Droid across the room :p

So based on trackizmy1 post about Media: Ringtones thread I was wondering would it just be a matter that I dont have a properly named folder for other alarm clock sounds? Or is the Android alarm clock just that limited to the stock base sounds?

Any suggestions at all? I would like to not wake up to a heart attack from the stupid alarm clock.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
plug in to your pc, enable mass storage. Put your alarm sounds in /media/audio/alarms . Disable mass storage, unplug the phone and reboot it.

Open the alarm app. The new sound(s) should be listed. While the window to choose the alarm is active, adjust volume.

*edit* if media/audio/alarms doesnt exist, just create it.

inkdrink

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Agreed on all points. In my experience, the alarms that comes with phones that I've had (Curve, Tour, Droid) almost always suck. That said, I don't mind that the Droid's is so loud, because it can take a lot to wake me up. I set mine for "Ringer Alarm" because it's a classic ringing sound and basically the least grating of the alarms offered. There might be a way to add a song file into the alarm folder on your media card through the USB on your computer but there's gotta be an alternative in the App store.

inkdrink

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
plug in to your pc, enable mass storage. Put your alarm sounds in /media/audio/alarms . Disable mass storage, unplug the phone and reboot it.

Open the alarm app. The new sound(s) should be listed. While the window to choose the alarm is active, adjust volume.

Is there a list of all the appropriately named folders floating around out there so I know exactly what folders I need to create if I want certain sound files to show up as usable in certain places? I know there's Ringtones, alarms...

blackops#IM

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
Is there a list of all the appropriately named folders floating around out there so I know exactly what folders I need to create if I want certain sound files to show up as usable in certain places? I know there's Ringtones, alarms...

Good point. That would be nice to know. So far I have created

ringtones
notifications
alerts

blackops#IM

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site

gbhil

I do not have to have all my folders (ringtones, alerts, alarms, etc) in the media/audio/...... folder at all do I?

Right now I have them all just on the dcim folder on my SD Card?

Do you know what other folders I should create as well?

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
I know on 1.5 and 1.6 they had to be in media/audio . Maybe 2.0 has a different path. Try making an alarms (not alerts) folder. Also make sure you unmount/remount the sd card correctly, or you won't see anything until you reboot.

*edit I believe the dcim/ folder is only for pictures and video from the camera. That's how most digital cams and cameraphones are.

Last edited:

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
i have the notifications folder just in the root of my memory card and it seems to work fine.

good to know about the others, so can anyone confirm if it's alerts or alarms for 2.0?

blackops#IM

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
the alarms folder did not work in the dcim directory.
However I created a media/audio/alarms directory in the same folder and then they showed up in the alarm clock app.

So the notifications folder is for sounds you want to be able to use for SMS/MMS messages alerts?

Stephman

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
the alarms folder did not work in the dcim directory.
However I created a media/audio/alarms directory in the same folder and then they showed up in the alarm clock app.

So the notifications folder is for sounds you want to be able to use for SMS/MMS messages alerts?

That makes NO sense that you should have "media/audio/alarms" in the DCIM folder. I thought DCIM was for photos?

Can you please confirm that you placed "media/audio/alarms" under folder "DCIM".
Or did you place "media/audio/alarms" under the root of the SD card?

I can't test this until I recieve my phone on Monday.

Thanks

blackops#IM

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
That makes NO sense that you should have "media/audio/alarms" in the DCIM folder. I thought DCIM was for photos?

Can you please confirm that you placed "media/audio/alarms" under folder "DCIM".
Or did you place "media/audio/alarms" under the root of the SD card?

I can't test this until I recieve my phone on Monday.

Thanks

No you dont have to have the folder in dcim folder. That is just where I put it. Sorry, just happen to be where I put it and that is all and have not moved it to the root directory at all.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Likely the droid has / /dcim */*/alarms */*/ringtones and */*/notifications in the path by default.

This means you could store the sounds anywhere you like, as long as you have the directories named correctly...i.e. /alarms, /notifications, /ringtones.

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
i also switched from a BB to the droid and was trying to figure out the same thing. at first i added a folder on my sd card, but i also found an app called "rings extended". just open the market and search for it and it will come up. it lets you choose pretty much any audio file on the phone for any ringer or notification. hope that helps you.

searsmd

Dec 25, 2009
Visit site
Is there a way to have different alarm sounds for different alarms? I have the same question for calendars. It be nice to have a different sound for events and meetings. Does anyone know of a way or an app. So far I love this phone and it's an upgrade in every way except this, very dissapointing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mr.Miagi

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
Good to know about the specifically named folders and that dcim is picture related.

I too am coming from a Blackberry and what I miss most is the ability to auto shut off and on. Is their a way or an app to do that? Pretty much the only thing I miss.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samahmed336699