What kind of app do you want/need made?

Kyle Gibb

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Hey all,

I am a CS major in college and have decided to make programming in Android my summer project (damn job market.... =/). But being very unoriginal, uninspired, and just flat out lazy in general, I want to ask you, my fellow forum-ites of Android Central, what kind of app you are missing in your life? What is that one feature missing from the current OS (and in 2.2) that would make your life so much better? Something you haven't been able to find done, or done well, in the Android Market currently. I am open to all suggestions but I doubt that native WoW Android client you NEED so desperately is possible for me atm =P

So, please put your suggestion here, or if you would rather keep it private just feel free to PM me. You could even hit up my AIM (linked under my name on the right ----> ) if you so desire!

Also, let me know if you want me to create a guide for some feature/capability of Android similar to the ones I have done that are linked below in my signature. I know a bunch of you have found them useful, particularly the one on wifi iTunes syncing, and I enjoy doing them so let me know if you have a request =]

Thanks! :D

matrix2004

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
One thing i've wanted is a way to use the Droid as a wireless remote/controller/keyboard for the PS3. Since the PS3 uses bluetooth also, there must be a way.

MainStream

Dec 5, 2009
Visit site
I have been disappointed with the interaction between the stock "People" program and the way it flows (or in this case doesn't flow) with other applications it interfaces with. It just isn't as intuitive as the BlackBerry solution. Kind of hard to put a clear definition around what makes it "clunky" but as an example if you call a person using the "search people" program when you try to hang up from the call you are still at the search people app not the phone. Similarly from search people you can't add a contact but from the people program you can't pull up the keyboard if you want to search by keystroke instead of scrolling. I have over 800 contacts and scrolling takes longer than entering a couple of keys. Also when you pull up a contact you can't see their full address. If you press on the address it takes you to Google maps but most of the time I just need to send someone something not drop by their office. It just seems like something that was put together by a either a committee or a group working on individual elements without ever talking to each other. It really is the only issue I have with the Andriod system. It's a great product especially when you consider it is still in it's infancy.

Kyle Gibb

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I have been disappointed with the interaction between the stock "People" program and the way it flows (or in this case doesn't flow) with other applications it interfaces with. It just isn't as intuitive as the BlackBerry solution. Kind of hard to put a clear definition around what makes it "clunky" but as an example if you call a person using the "search people" program when you try to hang up from the call you are still at the search people app not the phone. Similarly from search people you can't add a contact but from the people program you can't pull up the keyboard if you want to search by keystroke instead of scrolling. I have over 800 contacts and scrolling takes longer than entering a couple of keys. Also when you pull up a contact you can't see their full address. If you press on the address it takes you to Google maps but most of the time I just need to send someone something not drop by their office. It just seems like something that was put together by a either a committee or a group working on individual elements without ever talking to each other. It really is the only issue I have with the Andriod system. It's a great product especially when you consider it is still in it's infancy.

In people, you can just press the search button on your phone. Or do you have a phone that doesn't have a dedicated search button?

FuManChuu

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Hidden World Hut - webOS

I can't believe something like this doesnt exist for android yet. It just aggregates the feeds from a bunch of those lulz sites. All the FML/TFLN/MDT apps on android just pull up the mobileUI, in a kinda shell window. Each generally only have 1 or 2 supported feeds as well.

Weak sauce.

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
I have been disappointed with the interaction between the stock "People" program and the way it flows (or in this case doesn't flow)

I agree that the flow when launched from other apps is messy.

So is changing the ring tone for individual contacts. Its like 8 taps per contact.

I'd also like the option of assigning a contact to always be called via google voice.

jimracing657

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Im big into motocross, and whether im at home or at the pro national races, i like to watch the live timing. There is a mobile feed, but it would be nice to have it in an app, or even better yet a widget, heres a link to the mobile site. I cant imagine it would be that hard to make the app, i just have no idea how to even being lol.

Mobile Live Timing

gtshouse

May 14, 2010
Visit site
wanna learn something, make a few bucks, and enjoy the happiness of thousands of Android users?

Bellshare - BerryBuzz

recreate that. I promise ;)

Absolutely! This is the one thing that I miss from my Blackberry...highly customizable repeat notifications.

Something very simple that I cannot find on the market is a program to keep track of my biking, running, swimming, kayaking, etc. I do not want GPS because I don't carry my phone with me...every program I find uses GPS. I just want a log/journal.

Here is what I want to be able to do:
  • Input the date
  • Input the activity
  • Input my mileage
  • Input the amount of time exercised (hours and minutes)
  • Input the route
  • Input the equipment used
  • Have a 'notes' section

Here is what I want the program to do:
  • Keep track of the number of entries by activity
  • Have a summary screen where I can see total time and total distance per activity
  • Be able to export to a spreadsheet via email or google docs and/or have a desktop program I can sync with

These features would be added bonuses!:
  • Automatically pull up the current date when you add a record
  • Have user defined radio buttons for the activity, route and equipment (be able to add each of my activities, bikes/boats and each of my commonly used routes/locations so once added, I only have to click on which one is applicable that day)
  • Have a user defined summary period per activity (number, time and distance for 4 days, 1 week, 3 months, etc.)

This program would be very useful for someone who trains for triathlons, adventure races, bike races, road races, etc., or anyone who just likes to exercise and doesn't want to subject their phone to sweat, water and mud.

Kyle Gibb

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Absolutely! This is the one thing that I miss from my Blackberry...highly customizable repeat notifications.

Something very simple that I cannot find on the market is a program to keep track of my biking, running, swimming, kayaking, etc. I do not want GPS because I don't carry my phone with me...every program I find uses GPS. I just want a log/journal.

Here is what I want to be able to do:
  • Input the date
  • Input the activity
  • Input my mileage
  • Input the amount of time exercised (hours and minutes)
  • Input the route
  • Input the equipment used
  • Have a 'notes' section

Here is what I want the program to do:
  • Keep track of the number of entries by activity
  • Have a summary screen where I can see total time and total distance per activity
  • Be able to export to a spreadsheet via email or google docs and/or have a desktop program I can sync with

These features would be added bonuses!:
  • Automatically pull up the current date when you add a record
  • Have user defined radio buttons for the activity, route and equipment (be able to add each of my activities, bikes/boats and each of my commonly used routes/locations so once added, I only have to click on which one is applicable that day)
  • Have a user defined summary period per activity (number, time and distance for 4 days, 1 week, 3 months, etc.)

This program would be very useful for someone who trains for triathlons, adventure races, bike races, road races, etc., or anyone who just likes to exercise and doesn't want to subject their phone to sweat, water and mud.

Both are great ideas, thanks! Any one else?

paul_aka_paul

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
I want to be able to make my own icon pack. It would be great if I could take the 2 or 3 that I like from a particular icon pack and pull them into my own file. There might be legal copyright issues, but since all the ones I see now are free it might not be an issue.

Or maybe this would be a desktop program that compiled icons into an apk? I don't know.

anon26174

May 24, 2010
Visit site
Is there an application for tracking price changes within the Android Market? I know there's an app or two for tracking sales at Amazon etc, but what about within the Android market itself? As a soon-to-be ex-iPhone user, a few useful apps have been released like PandoraBox, AppSniper, and AppMiner which regularly update and show the newest apps released, but more importantly, those which drop in price. You can add things to a watchlist and as soon as they go on sale get notified.

If this already exists somewhere (I did do a search, but didn't come up with much, although please bear in mind this was on the web as my Android phone isn't here yet), then I'd be happily corrected!

Murf300

Jan 1, 2010
Visit site
I agree with the request for a better alternative for "people". I was using Star Contact which was better but not perfect however, since I upgraded to 2.1 it not longer works correctly. I have several hundred contacts and need to be able to search them by the name of the company instead of only by the person's name. I would be more than happy to pay for the correct app.

amchornet

May 28, 2010
Visit site
summer apps

I have someone that cant see very well and was looking for a app that speaks the persons or business name after the ring. I cant find a app like that. They have the caller id on the phone so I would not think it would be that hard to make the phone speak it as well...

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
I have someone that cant see very well and was looking for a app that speaks the persons or business name after the ring. I cant find a app like that. They have the caller id on the phone so I would not think it would be that hard to make the phone speak it as well...

I like this idea.

Even for fully sighted people, knowing who it is, before you reach into your pocket for your phone would be nice.

While adding that it could speak my IMs as well.

Kyle Gibb

May 17, 2010
Visit site
1) an app that takes pics of your phone screen for unrooted phones

2) a voice synthesizing app, like the t-pain one for the iphone

As far as I know, this is impossible. Google prevents apps from being able to tell what is on the screen when they arent the currently viewed app. This is for security reasons.

But your second idea is very interesting =P

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zbxbzbc