Is there an App that mimics Blackberry's profile manager

victor.ecc

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
I've noticed this question has been asked in the past, but none of the posts in the threads I saw have had a recent answer, so I figure to try again:

Very simple question: I want an app that does exactly what the Blackberry's stock profile manager does:

- Set a profile that will, for example, make my Mail App (stock mail app) ring a certain ringtone, while my SMS are vibrate, and my ringer is something else, and my calendar is something else, too, while my GMail app is different as well. And each profile I create has the ability to change all of the above, from within the app itself.

I've read about these so far:

- Setting Profiles
- PhoneWeaver
- Tasker
- Some weird instructions by a guy named vent, or something

None of the above apps explicitly say that they can manage profiles the way I'm asking, just like the Blackberry. I'm not going to do what the "vent" guy suggested because this isn't just for me, it's for a company of people, who's experience can range from IT expert to "what's a browser?". Money/Free isn't a detractor.

Another question maybe someone here might know:

- Why didn't Android come stock with this?
- Why is this feature so difficult to achieve? Is it the devs or Android's fault?
- Does the iPhone have anything similar, either app based or stock? I'm not an apple fan, but some of my users are, and have asked.

Thanks in advanced for your replies!

Kash76

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I use settings profile. I have used this on many phones and it works very well.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2 Beta-4

Xopher

Trusted Member
Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
I use Quick Profiles. Some of the settings I have configured include:

- Sleep: lowers volumes, some sounds turned off, screen dimmed.
- Daytime: adjusts volumes and screen brightness.
- Driving: turns off wifi, turns on bluetooth, auto brightness, adjusts volumes.
- Home: turns off bluetooth, turns on wifi, sets brightness & volumes.
- Meeting: sounds set to vibrate only.

Sent from my gTablet using Tapatalk.

victor.ecc

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
I emailed some developers that create the popular apps I mentioned in my OP. From what they say, it seems this can't be done, as Android doesn't allow an app to control the specific tones of other apps? So they can't make an app that forces the GMail app to have one ringtone, while the Mail app another, and SMS another, and Business Calendar App another, etc.

Oh well, CM7 on my Thunderbolt gives me something close enough in the Profiles setting. But I was hoping to find something for non-rooted phones, specifically the Inc2.

To the folks who've replied so far, none of the apps mentioned so far do what I'm asking, but thanks for the response :)

Jeremy_C

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I am looking for the same thing, I am on call at night....and with blackberry I could make it Phone Calls only with a very loud alarm type ring to wake me up.

That is specifically what i'm looking for, no other notifications just a very loud ringtone at night when I'm on call to wake me up. Casio Commando.

bryanus

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
I have also searched everywhere for a Profile manager that works like the Blackberry one.

The unique thing about the Blackberry profile manage is that you can individually set the notifications for each email address you have set up on your device (volume, sound, vibrate, etc.)

For example, if I have 3 Gmail addresses on my Blackberry, and I set the Profile to "Night", I can disable notifications for 2 of my email addresses, but keep one Active (let's say it's an email address I use for monitoring server outages).

I have tried so many Profile managers and can't find one that allows this kind of functionality. Some allow whitelists, but they only seem to work via Phone numbers and not email addresses.

I basically want to be able to make the phone silent at Night, but allow one email address to override the Silence when an email is received/pushed to the device.

The only thing I have found that I could possibly integrate into my needs is something called "SMS Alert". I can set up my server monitoring software to SMS me at my carrier email address number@tmomail.net when there is an outage. It will then send me an SMS more or less instantly to my phone. SMS Alert claims that it will override any sound profile even if your phone is set to Silent. It uses a keyword you specify to filter incoming SMS messages to know if it should alert you or not.

Only catch is is costs $1.99, and not trial so I haven't tested it yet. I'm about to, though, as $2 is nothing considering the time it's taking me to find an app that will do what I need. I'm hoping that the developer's claims are true and that it will then be able to alert me if I use a Profile manager to set the phone to "Night" or "Silent".

I'll report back in a bit...

bryanus

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
ok, I'm back after testing SMS Alert. Didn't quite work right for me and my GNex.

My tests with the phone on Silent came through, but only in Vibrate mode and didn't play my selected notification tone. The other issue I had was that the monitoring service I was using is sending me an email through my carrier and phone number (123332123@tmomail.net), which is turned into an SMS. The problem is that none of the filtered words I had set up are recognized this way and I'm not sure why. If I do a test from my own email account with the filter words in it, it works (albeit in Vibrate mode only). I;ve sent the dev an email about this issue and am waiting on a reply.

Still looking I'm afraid...

bryanus

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
Thanks tennvol. I've been trying to get Whoisit Lite working all morning and so far have not been successful in getting any sort of notification to work at all. It is constantly crashing also. Trying to research the issues further hasn't gotten me anywhere in the app section of the forums. From what i can see, it looks like the dev has gone sort of MIA recently or something. I'm hesitant to buy the full version if I can't get the Lite version working at all.

Here's how I set it up:

I selected the contact I want to customize the notification for (an email address only contact), then set the specific ringtone for it. I disabled the notifications for the Gmail account I want Whoisit to control. I made sure Whoisit was enabled to control Gmail. Then I sent an email from the contact specified and...nothing. I don't get it.

Did you see my post....whoisit will do what you want

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

bryanus

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
Update: I solved this issue for me at least.

The solution was to flash the ROM to Cyanogenmod 9 for the Galaxy nexus. It's still a nightly build, but it's been stable for me for the few hours that I've been using it!

Cyanogenmod has a built-in Profiles setting that allows you to control notifications for different apps.

Since I only need to be notified of incoming emails to one address, I set that one up in the native Email app as an Exchange account (this is a mush more reliable method for push email than the native Gmail app, btw).

The rest of my accounts were set up in the Gmail app.

I could then use the Profiles settings to disable notifications for Gmail in the "Night" profile.

Update: Wanted to say that the Cyanogenmod Profiles settings are working perfectly for my needs. Holding the Power button for a couple seconds brings up a one-click button to change the Profile, too. So I can switch to "Work", etc.quickly and easily.

I was also able to add other applications to the Profile management that aren't listed in the default setup, and it controls those notifications, too.

Last edited:

tennvol

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
No idea if that will work since Gmail changed the user permissons denying 3rd parties access. I use K9 mail and whoisit works great.

Also don't forgot to unchecked the use ringer volume on the settings if you want to have a vibration for messages and a ring for calls, etc

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

NNNYC

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
Hi Victor,

First, I feel your pain.....dealing with Blackberry sound profiles is only second to the actual keyboard......

What I have found to work best is an app called Ringleader free. It allows you to create custom profiles and change the ringtone of each separately....there are a few limitations though, but I was able to work around them....
Once you install the app, you need to go into each program you want to customize the notification for and select Ringleader as your "administrator"....once you do that for all programs, simply launch Ringleader and start customizing, saving each profile under a different name....
Unfortunately, there are some programs that will not allow "external" administrators to manage their tones (like Yahoo mail or Skype), so I simply don't use those apps......
Will be happy to guide further if needed....been spending the first couple of months of ownership of my droid to try and have it act like a Blackberry (only for the good reasons ;)).

Tkbredx

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Llama profiles. Change your system sound, media, notification, and call sounds. Change it by time, location, whether you're connected to WiFi or not. I absolutely love it. Check it out it does speech more too.

And I believe tasker does these things as well. I just think the interface for llama is much better

kevinshill

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Victor, this is the exact same issue I struggled with when I first got an Android. That (amongst other things) made me return it and go back to BB. Now I'm ready to try again.. have you had any luck finding a solution?

I'm looking all around, and the best ones people are talking about seem to be Sound Profile and Ring Leader. Do you have experience with either of these, or do you have any advice?

I'm looking to get the Samsung Galaxy S3.

THANKS for any advice you have!

The1Metallian

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
As a former BlackBerry user I've been missing the notifications manager a lot. When I came across this thread I thought I had found the answer to my prayers. But I'm sad to report that we will keep on missing this feature. I did my homework and tested all apps mentioned here. Here are the results:
- Light Flow Led&Notification - it's the only app able to differentiate between all of the different apps installed and assign unique settings to each, but it doesn't create profiles.

Quick Profiles -Not able to assign different notifications for different apps and not able to assign icons to each profile in the free version, so you are better off using Sound Profile.

Whoisit -It's able to differentiate between different apps, but only those apps that are predefined (Gmail, K-9, etc); it doesn't see other apps such as Yahoo Mail, Kik, etc. Also, can't set profiles on free version.

ICS Enhanced ringer control - can't set profiles.

Tasker - Not a profile manager.

Llama profiles - changes profiles based on users physical location, not an adequate substitute for blackberry profile manager.

Ringleader - almost there but doesn't see some apps like Yahoo Mail or Kik, so like one user said you need to not use the apps that ringleader doesn't see. Crazy. Besides, it's cumbersome to set up.

FuzzyB

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Yeah if you could take the best of blackberry features and add them to android you would have darn near a perfect device.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress