Swiftkey vs Swype

bluger

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone here have a strong opinion about swiftkey versus swype? I've been using swype for a while. It's much better than stock (though I didn't try the HTC keyboard). At the same time, I'm not so blown away as to think nothing will be able to compare. Because I'm old and lame, it takes me longer than I'd like to admit to unlearn one keyboard and learn another.
Thoughts?

ElCartelDR

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
At first Swype was perfect for me but recently it hasnt been working as well for me but its still faster than the stock keyboard.

I just installed swiftkey this morning and its really good so far. Sometimes I dont even have to enter a leter and it will know what i want to write. I will need more time with it to see which one is better overall.

Dukins

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Im not much of a swype fan. I tried it for awhile, but my memory is not that great LOL. I cant remember what functions do what on swype. I do remember one and thats circle a particular character to double the letter.

Swiftkey so far as been pretty good. Have 2 gripes, it doesnt have a dedicated microphone symbol for voice to text and that the keyboard is light colored IMO. I tried to type "harder" and it keep putting "farmer" that was frustrating, but I think as time passes it will conform to my writing style.

Lorak

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
I liked swype when I had it. But since I am not in the closed beta, I decided to give swiftkey a try. Works pretty well, and have no complaints with it either.

Both of them take a bit of getting used to though.

fraz

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
have been using swype for awhile now and tried swiftkey this morning... uninstalled it just now and went back to swype because i felt like it was faster for me.

Civ2boss

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
I've used both since I got the Evo a month ago, but I still can't decide between them. But yeah there's no microphone button on either of them which sucks! I think I'll always just switch around depending on my mood.

ectoren

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
I am liking swiftkey except for one thing.....I can't seem to figure out how to put the question or exclamation mark.

gregg37

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
I am liking swiftkey except for one thing.....I can't seem to figure out how to put the question or exclamation mark.

They key for both is on either side of the space key. Hold that key down for the ! or ?

Love it except for the same failing swype has. No dedicated voice to text button. /uninstall

gregg37

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
Yep. That's the second keyboard I really love, but have to do without because they overlook one of the most remarkable features of the Android OS. I text a lot while driving, and not being able to use voice to text is a pain in the bunghole.

Gelst

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
can someone please xplain to me how Swype or Swiftkey work ?

I am really confused, I have Swype on my phone and I am not sure how it works or what it is for. When I pull up my webbrowser in the bottom of the left hand corner I can see the icon ... I am not sure what to do from there. I thought swype was to allow me to type or text faster but It doesn't work when I pull up my txts..

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

I am really confused, I have Swype on my phone and I am not sure how it works or what it is for. When I pull up my webbrowser in the bottom of the left hand corner I can see the icon ... I am not sure what to do from there. I thought swype was to allow me to type or text faster but It doesn't work when I pull up my txts..

Search the forums for threads on swype, or just google it. That'll be a lot easier than trying to explain it here.

I got my Evo the day AFTER the Swype beta ended. :( So I haven't used swype. I just got Swiftkey last night and so far I'm liking it. I'm still a little faster on the Droid X multi touch keyboard, but I think that has more to do with Swiftkey still learning my habits. Hopefully Swype will open the beta back up or release the final version so I can give that a try.

sethjk

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site

It's an entirely new input method- Have you installed Sqype? Have you activated it in settings? have you selected it as your keyboard under input method? have you taken the tutorial? Do all of those and you'll understand how it makes inputting text easier in almost all instances- IMHO

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
I really like Swype so far, been getting used to it since I got in the beta. I still downloaded SwiftKey to try out. From what I hear though, Swiftkey is a good app to have.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
SwiftKey is my favorite keyboard so far. I would highly recommend that people don't spend 5 minutes using it, decide they don't like it, and then uninstall it. Try it out for at least 1/2 a day and then make a decision. You find it guessing your next word, sometimes without even hitting the first letter of the word. It really is pretty amazing technology and has a lot of potential.

stoneworrior

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
I just tried swiftkey, it took me a whole ten seconds and I did a long touch input on the dialogue box to go right back to swype. swift key is going bye bye. I would love to have voice input on swype though. I wonder how many people know you can toggle between keyboard by just long pressing the dialogue box though? That's how I go back and forth to get the voice function when I want to use it.

anicholas7

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
I just installed it and it is amazing how it predicts your next word. My only gripe is that the keyboard seems a little smaller in portrait mode than the stock keyboard, but in landscape mode its good.

willsurg#AC

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
I have to admit that I went back to swype. I tried swiftkey for the day and just missed being able to swype, and I did'nt like swype when i first installed it, it took about 2 days and then got it. Probably the same would be true for this, however i'll just keep swype for now,