Best app to regulate mobile data usage

flroots

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
I've recently signed up with the free RingPlus plan which allocates almost no mobile data. I'd like to find an app that allows me to control mobile data usage of my apps so that there are no surprises. I'm already using My Data Manager which tracks overall data usage and includes some alarms. I'm now interested in adding an app that allows me to turn on or off mobile data and perhaps regulate it on an app-by-app basis. Naturally, I'll use WiFi whenever it's available. Suggestions appreciated.

flroots

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Sorry doesn't exist.
I've already found one app that seems to do what I want; It's called AFWall+. It was recommended to me as a way to individually regulate mobile data usage on an app-by-app basis, but I'm still interested in knowing if there are other (perhaps even better) options available.BTW, Android 4.3 (and perhaps others) also provides for app-by-app regulation of mobile data at Settings/Data Usage, but I find this method awkward.

- - - Updated - - -

Airplane mode or power button to turn of

Sent from Bad Azz VZW LG G2 Cyan Tapatalk
Thanks. That's not an option. I don't want to disable calling. I'm interested in regulating my use of 3g mobile data.

flroots

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
I've come up with a couple of apps that seem to do everything I was hoping to achieve. I've been using AFWall+ with excellent results to allow only those apps that I specify. I especially like the fact that I can create custom profiles within AFWall+ for different situations such as email, browsing, playstore, etc. AFWall+ also comes with a widget which with a single touch allows me to disable AFWall+. Basically that allows me to unblock everything. Another app, Data ON-OFF by Antonio La Rocca allows me to block all mobile data which will be enabled the vast majority of time. Finally My Data Manager has all the detailed level monitoring capability to discover any bad actors.

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
DroidWall a very well known app does the same but no app "regulates" data by quantity that was my point. As for regulate access well that has been around forever nothing in 4.3 added control over the quantity of data allowed on a per app basis.

flroots

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
DroidWall a very well known app does the same but no app "regulates" data by quantity that was my point. As for regulate access well that has been around forever nothing in 4.3 added control over the quantity of data allowed on a per app basis.
Thanks. Here's a quote from Play store:
AFWall+ (Android Firewall +) is an improved version of DroidWall front-end application for the powerful iptables Linux firewall.It allows you to restrict which applications are permitted to access your data networks (2G/3G and/or Wi-Fi and while in roaming).

I'm not expecting to regulate anything automatically. I just want total control on an app-by-app basis when an app is allowed to access mobile data. The combination of:
  • Data ON-OFF: block all mobile data most of the time
  • AFWall+: allow specific apps access to mobile data when desired
  • My Data Manager: verify the above

is doing a great job. As I understand it, Android allows one to restrict background data usage on an app-per-app basis whereas AFWall+ completely blocks or allows mobile data usage which more closely matches my needs.

flroots

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Just realized that my grand plan overlooked something. Keeping mobile data disabled most of the time (via Data ON-OFF app) prevented me from sending or receiving MMS messages. I'll try leaving mobile data enabled with AFWall+ blocking all but messaging as my Default profile.