Slingbox Connection Problem

chisam14#AC

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
I recently purchased the slingbox app for my Inc but haven't had any luck connecting. I can watch it fine from my pc (on my LAN or any other internet connection). When I login and click on my slingbox it goes through the connection process and fails. Sb support said to enable port forwarding on my router but I can't see this helping any since it works fine on the pc. Please help, don't wanna be out 30 bucks

CliffD5

May 25, 2010
Visit site
If you want to access the slingbox from outside your LAN (i.e. the Internet) you will need to have the necessary ports open. For my slingbox classic it is 5001/tcp so I am sure it would be the same for you. So basically you want to forward port 5001 to your slingbox's static IP. If you have a dynamic public IP, I would recommend setting up a dynamic DNS hostname through a service such dyndns.org.

CliffD5

May 25, 2010
Visit site
I'll try that but it's viewable on a pc no matter what connection I am on, LAN or not. Why would my phone be any different?

I would think that to hit your slingbox behind your firewall/router on your LAN from the internet, you would have to have the necessary ports statically open or use UPnP which will open the ports on demand.

chisam14#AC

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
Yes. I can access it anywhere on any internet connection. I have accessed it at home, work, out-of-state, no problem. Just can't connect from my phone.

levelm

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
Check to see if your slingbox has a firmware update. If not check to make sure you've enabled port forwarding for ports 5001 on your router. Also make sure to check that the ip of your slingbox is correct. Sucks man, I hope you figure it out.

Last edited:

volwrath

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Also you have to have an account at slingmedia.com with the slingbox hooked up to it. It used to be you could simply enter the ip address, but I think the android app doesnt allow you to hit such settings

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana