Is tidal the best music streaming service?

Sunhop

Oct 25, 2015
Visit site
I bet Jerry hasn't used the app recently. So his opinion would be invalid. It's possible for Jerry to be wrong. I know crazy right

Posted via the Android Central App

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I do want the other competitors to offer the higher bitrate formats, because I would absolutely be willing to pay $20.00 per month for a family plan that had all of Google's or Apple's library available if 100% of it was available with lossless streaming on a great Android app.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I bet if you actually took a look at the songs offered instead of assuming they don't have what you're looking for you'd be pleasantly surprised.

I don't get tech guys wanting this great app with such a vast library to fail

I don't think anybody wants it to fail.

In fact, I want it to be great and be popular and successful. I want other services like Spotify and GPM to be like "oh man, we really need to get on board with this lossless streaming. People seem to love it."

I've found a few articles that specify some of the ways the library offering is better (Prince, specifically), but also worse (missing some albums from artists in certain genres that Spotify has). So at best I'm willing to say selection is equal (but that's being generous IMO).

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I bet if you actually took a look at the songs offered instead of assuming they don't have what you're looking for you'd be pleasantly surprised.

I don't get tech guys wanting this great app with such a vast library to fail

Also, since Jerry is a writer for Android Central I'm sure he has actually used the service and knows if it has what he wants.

Sunhop

Oct 25, 2015
Visit site
I'll give GPM a try. I already have YouTube red. But I'll still give Google a try. I'm not unable to see things from different perspectives

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I'll give GPM a try. I already have YouTube red. But I'll still give Google a try. I'm not unable to see things from different perspectives

If you have YTR, GPM is included with that subscription so you've already got access to the full library in that case.

Sunhop

Oct 25, 2015
Visit site
My main argument wasn't about lossless audio. It was about the huge library tidal offers. None of you have been able to refute that point. So I still feel that tidal is worth more than Spotify

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
My main argument wasn't about lossless audio. It was about the huge library tidal offers. None of you have been able to refute that point. So I still feel that tidal is worth more than Spotify

You could very well be right about that, if it does have a better library than Spotify now - that's awesome - But Spotify isn't the king, so when answering your question of whether or not Tidal is best, it's position relative to Spotify isn't that relevant because Spotify is second to GPM (giant in my opinion flag goes here). For those who think Spotify is King, if Tidal has a better library and takes the time to fix their app, then those people would be forced to crown Tidal. But I don't think there are very many who think Spotify is leaps and bounds above GPM and YouTubeRed.

Sunhop

Oct 25, 2015
Visit site
You could very well be right about that, if it does have a better library than Spotify now - that's awesome - But Spotify isn't the king, so when answering your question of whether or not Tidal is best, it's position relative to Spotify isn't that relevant because Spotify is second to GPM (giant in my opinion flag goes here). For those who think Spotify is King, if Tidal has a better library and takes the time to fix their app, then those people would be forced to crown Tidal. But I don't think there are very many who think Spotify is leaps and bounds above GPM and YouTubeRed.

That's fair. If GPM impresses me I'll cancel my tidal subscription today. I'll keep you posted

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

https://smartdns.com/blog/1355/apple-music-vs-spotify-vs-tidal-vs-google-streaming-wars/

I’m not referring solely to the big name exclusives. It’s widely known, for example, that Prince has made his back-catalogue exclusive to Tidal, and that Taylor Swift’s latest album (at least at the time of writing) is only on Apple Music. The variations I’m referring to are far more subtle, but arguably even more important to choosing the right service for you.Here’s an example: I’m a fan of The Brand New Heavies, a long-established acid jazz outfit from the UK. When looking for full albums, a quick glance uncovered five on Tidal, 15 on Spotify, 12 on Apple Music, and 12 on Google Play. I can’t claim these are definitive figures, as some of the services lump EPs in with albums, and Tidal, in particular, seems to get in a muddle by separately listing “Brand New Heavies” and “THE Brand New Heavies.”

However, and this is the important part, some albums are completely missing from some of the services. Returning to The Brand New Heavies, their 2004 album “Allaboutthefunk” is completely absent from Tidal. Meanwhile, Emma Bunton’s most popular solo album, “Free Me,” is missing from Tidal, Google Play AND Apple Music, but present and correct on Spotify.

Therefore, it’s impossible to pick a “winner” based on music choice alone. If your music tastes are reasonably mainstream, the chances are that, artist exclusive deals aside, you’ll find most of what you’re looking for on all of the services. Music enthusiasts, on the other hand, might be surprised to find some surprising gaps, regardless of the service chosen.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Let me get this right. You're saying that I had the service for three months, spent $60 of my own money, yet didn't look for the music I like?

It's apparent that you have no idea how I do things, or the value I place on enough money to buy 3 bottles of wild turkey.

And I don't care if it fails or succeeds. I only wanted to have the hi-res music I like without carrying around 512GB worth of SD cards for my V10. Let investors worry if it fails (and they should be).

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

But the library depended on each person. If GPM has all I love and more.. Why do I care if Tidal or some other service has an album that I'd never listen to anyway? I guess maybe if you want to say you could discover more on Tidal but to me the YouTube Red just adds up to more of a value for me and family (me + 6 people for $15 a month with YouTube Red is a steal).

Also the reason I love YouTube red is because I use YouTube a lot as well. A ton when on the PC so for me it's a big pull. For those who don't use YouTube though it could be a moot point.

Basically the main thing about my wall of text above is... There is no 100% above all best service. I love GPM and many friends (including Kevin in these posts) love Spotify. Are we wrong? No. We just each have our reasons for liking one service more than the other (for our specific needs).

Sunhop

Oct 25, 2015
Visit site
I already can tell tidal has better streaming quality than GPM. Nothing outrageous, but I can tell. As stated earlier itt, no full Prince catalog. They don't even have Lemonade or Jay-Z first album (arguably best). The music video selection is poor compared to tidal and no exclusives. I really want to like GPM

Sunhop

Oct 25, 2015
Visit site
https://smartdns.com/blog/1355/apple-music-vs-spotify-vs-tidal-vs-google-streaming-wars/

I’m not referring solely to the big name exclusives. It’s widely known, for example, that Prince has made his back-catalogue exclusive to Tidal, and that Taylor Swift’s latest album (at least at the time of writing) is only on Apple Music. The variations I’m referring to are far more subtle, but arguably even more important to choosing the right service for you.Here’s an example: I’m a fan of The Brand New Heavies, a long-established acid jazz outfit from the UK. When looking for full albums, a quick glance uncovered five on Tidal, 15 on Spotify, 12 on Apple Music, and 12 on Google Play. I can’t claim these are definitive figures, as some of the services lump EPs in with albums, and Tidal, in particular, seems to get in a muddle by separately listing “Brand New Heavies” and “THE Brand New Heavies.”

However, and this is the important part, some albums are completely missing from some of the services. Returning to The Brand New Heavies, their 2004 album “Allaboutthefunk” is completely absent from Tidal. Meanwhile, Emma Bunton’s most popular solo album, “Free Me,” is missing from Tidal, Google Play AND Apple Music, but present and correct on Spotify.

Therefore, it’s impossible to pick a “winner” based on music choice alone. If your music tastes are reasonably mainstream, the chances are that, artist exclusive deals aside, you’ll find most of what you’re looking for on all of the services. Music enthusiasts, on the other hand, might be surprised to find some surprising gaps, regardless of the service chosen.

The album you're talking about is right there. Where are you guys getting your information from?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-05-24-13-53-46.jpg
    Screenshot_2016-05-24-13-53-46.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 17

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
The album you're talking about is right there. Where are you guys getting your information from?

You complained about people using information from 2014 so I found something newer.

If Tidal has improved since then good for them.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress