Why do gyroscopic apps not work correctly?

A

AC Question

Hello,

My phone is a Moto G 4G, Version Lolipop 5.1. A few months ago, I used the google cardboard app and it all worked correctly - the calibration was fine. Today, I installed Pokemon Go and noticed the gyroscope feature was not matching up - during the AR section of catching a Pokemon, the screen slowly rotates to the right and a little down. I figured this was a software bug and tried the Google Cardboard app, but now even that won't work. I tried using a spirit bubble app and when placed on a flat surface, the readings are not exactly 0.

Is this because the phone is not calibrated correctly? The gyroscope or something is broken in my phone? Are there any kinds of tests to see this?

Many thanks for any help, please ask if you need more information.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, what should I be looking for in it which is unusual?

LOL. Darned if I know. :)

Serously though, I run it on my Nexus 6P, slide to the far right screen ("Sensors") and then watch the Gyroscope entry. The values for X,Y, and Z movement are displayed in rads (radians - another way of stating angular dimensions like degrees), rads per second. If the phone is sitting on a surface untouched, all three axes flicker around 0.00 - 0.01 rads/s. Pick it up and move it around though and the numbers jump all over the place with more rapid movements resulting in larger numbers. Never very high, though - perhaps as high as 0.20 to 0.30 rads/s.

So, I guess that is what you want to see - relatively steady at 0.00 when the phone is just sitting still; small numbers when you move it around slowly and bigger numbers when you move it more rapidly. Oh yeah, try to move it in primarily one axis at a time and see if the X, Y, Z display responds accordingly.