My Android Lollipop phone is weird after trying to set up Android Pay.

fenpeppertree

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
BIG FAT OOPS! i JUST TRIED TO USE THE PHONE KEY PAD, AND IT SAID "WRONG PIN". i KEYED IN THE PIN I USED WHEN SETTING UP ANDROID PAY, AND MY OWN HOME SCREEN IS BACK, SO SORRY, THIS POST IS NO LONGER A PROBLEM.

EXCEPT i WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHY MY ANDROID LOLLIPOP PHONE WILL NOT BE GOOD FOR IN-STORE PURCHASES WITH THE "ANDROID PAY" APP; JUST IN APP OR ONLINE PURCHASES. DOES ANYONE KNOW WHY THIS IS SO?

While setting up Android Pay on my Android Lollipop phone, I got a message saying my phone would have to have 'lock screen' enabled to use Android Pay. I clicked on whatever it was to allow this (in the setup process), and now I have this weird overlay on my home screen that I can't get out of.

This overlay has the time and date at the top of the screen, and at the bottom it has two sets of icons going across the screen. The first set is 5 icons across; they are calculator, music, take a selfie, add a contact, and last is scan a QR code. The second set, which has 3 icons, are directly under the first set going across the screen, and they are swipe right for phone (phone icon), swipe to unlock (padlock icon), and swipe left for camera (camera icon).

The top 5 icons are useless, when tapping on one of these icons a prompt appears to tap again to enable whichever function you're tapping on; but upon doing this second tap, what you get is the a phone key pad, and it is the same for any of these 5 icons. The bottom set of icons are about the same thing except with the 'swipe' activation; nothing happens really except a phone keypad appears, but only if you swipe up, so the actual left/right swipe don't really do anything.

I can get the phone's default notification/status menu from the upper right-hand corner of the screen like usual, but when I tap on the "Settings" icon, it does not respond. I am stuck on this overlay screen with no way out. I have tried shutting down, and also restarting, but it opens with this overlay screen. I would really rather not try to do the power/volume up thing if it is going to delete all my apps and everything. Also, while typing this post, I received two gmail emails; they show in the notification/status menu, but they did not open when tapped on. My phone has become useless.

Does anyone know how to remedy this problem?

On top of all this, Android Pay said I would not be able to use it for in-store purchases, just in app or online purchases. Does anyone know why this is?

Last edited:

fenpeppertree

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
Wow! I guess my phone doesn't have NFC. I have an ALCATEL PIXI A621BL Android 5.1.1 phone, which is a TracFone I purchased from the QVC shopping network. I installed a couple of Google Play apps to check for NFC; they came back with "No NFC module detected".

Is this something that is found only on high end phones like Apple, Samsung, and LG, or could it be it isn't enabled, and I don't know how to enable it?

fenpeppertree

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
So, I guess my phone is entry level? I know it didn't cost what a mid-range priced phone would be, at maybe $200 to $400; but more like $100 with a year of TracFone minutes, data, and messaging, and also a protective skin.

It seems that with the need for mobile pay to have NFC, it would be on all phones. It's awfully strange, unless it has to do with cost.

I also installed Walmart Pay, but I didn't get any message saying it would not be good for in-store purchases. Will the Walmart Pay also be effected by the phone not having NFC?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
A Snapdragon 210 processor, 1 GB of RAM, and 8 GB of internal storage are pretty barebones for a 2016 phone, so yes, it's entry level. Mobile payments are still considered to be a bit of a luxury or gimmick, since the vast majority of people still pay with credit card or cash.

Walmart Pay doesn't use NFC -- it has you scan a QR code: https://goto.walmart.com/c/1943169/...ttps://www.walmart.com/cp/walmart-pay/3205993

fenpeppertree

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
I guess I will never use Android Pay if it is only available for something more than a budget phone. Don't really use a phone that much so I have no need to invest more than need be. I subscribe to PC Mag.com Daily News, so I've read about the latest Snapdragon 835; really does make 210 sound pitiful, but I would be more interested in bigger and better for a tablet. Have my eyes on the new Asus ZenPad 3S 10 9.7" tablet. Can't understand if it's an iPad wannabe, why it doesn't have an option for more memory, like at least 128 GB, disappointing.

I watched a few YouTube videos on Walmart Pay and Android Pay. It seems Android Pay is only available in a select number of stores, and since I am not in a major or even semi-major shopping hub, I'm sure my options would be next to nil.

With the Walmart Pay though, I discovered there is something of a companion or alternative app called Walmart "Scan and Go". This is an app I think I could use, especially if it were more 'universal', applicable everywhere. Supposedly, I could use this app to shop and scan bar codes as I go, all the while keeping a running tab of my purchases. Then at the self checkout, just tap "check out" on my phone, a couple more steps with the Walmart screen, and done. Very nice, but in reality don't know yet.

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Android Pay is actually available anywhere Apple Pay is as well, so it's fairly widespread (at least where I am in the Silicon Valley). Walmart Pay is only for Walmart stores.

fenpeppertree

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
I thought I was done with this post, but not so.

I decided, since I would not be using the Android Pay app, to get rid of the enabled lock screen, but I guess I can't do that.

I have searched online for an answer, but nothing works; like this one:

Go to Settings >> Security >> Device Administrators. See if anything other than Android Device Manager is checked. If something is checked, it's possible it's forcing a higher level of security.
Uncheck it if there is, and check the screen lock options again.
Also try Settings >> Security >> Clear credentials.

There is also another bit of advice about a 'guest' something or other, which I don't seem to have at all.

I deactivated my credit cards in Android Pay, and uninstalled Android Pay, but I still have an enabled lock screen; and I did uncheck "Android Pay" in "Device Administrators".

I don't remember, if there was a "none" option for the "Lock Screen" in "Settings", but I know I had it disabled, (I just don't use it) before I decided to install Android Pay; there is no such option now, though. The lock screen has these 6 options:
Func
Screen Lock
Make Pattern Visable
Automatically Lock
Power Button Instantly Locks
and
Owner Info

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
So you want to change the Screen Lock to None or Swipe Only? What options do you see when you tap Screen Lock in the menu you described?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non