When I installed the "Official Android player for Music Beta by Google" (com.google.android.music) from the Market, I expected it to replace the stock/pre-installed/existing Music app (com.android.music).

That doesn't seem to be the case. Now, I keep getting the "Complete action using" dialog, even when I check the "Use by default for this action" option.

So, two questions:

1) Is this the correct behavior for the installation of the Music Beta player (i.e., side by side with original Music app)?

2) If so, is there any way to get rid of the original Music app?

I am running a rooted Droid X with Froyo (2.2.1) -- Gingerbread Friday can't get here soon enough.

Thanks,
    - Rory
    05-25-2011 11:07 AM
    Hi

If you are rooted and have superuser access, then use a terminal emulator to delete the music.apk from the system/app folder of the phone.

Shahr
    05-25-2011 01:43 PM
    Since the new music player is still in Beta status, it's not going to replace your old music app.

It's just speculation on my part, but I'm going to go out on a limb and guess with relative confidence that once the new music app is official, it will install over the original music app.
    05-25-2011 03:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD