Android Auto, four months later

Tom Westrick

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
Hey everyone,

A few months ago, I shared my experience with Android Auto. I've been using it for four and a half months now, so I thought I'd do a quick post on what's changed.

A few weeks ago, I bought a new short USB cable. About the same time, Google rolled out it's new voice improvements. Not sure if it's the new USB cable I'm using (the original stopped working altogether, so I can't do a comparison) or improvements on Google's end, but voice is MUCH better now. The system understands exactly what I'm saying, even on more complex requests. In the past three weeks, I've only had two or three requests not understood, and anything the system did understand was processed correctly.

Beyond that, not much else has changed, even when I updated my Moto X to Marshmallow and eventually changed phones to a Nexus 6P. I'm playing around with a few local music apps that support Android Auto, but I'll wait until the apps have a more complete feature set until I write about them. Going forward, I wish Google would allow alternate Maps applications like they do for Music and Messaging, just so I can use Here Maps for long road trips.

A note for Google Voice users, if you use the voice command "Send a message to [person]", the message will be sent through your carrier number, NOT your Google Voice number. I've tried different commands and haven't had any luck getting it to send with my GV number. I'm porting my GV number back to my carrier soon, so I won't have this problem much longer.

Next, I'm going to try making MirrorLink work. My car unit supports it, but it's not officially supported by the Nexus line. I've sideloaded the HTC MirrorLink APK, so I'll give that a try and update this post with my results.

If there's any questions you guys have or anything you'd like me to try, let me know below!

Deputy1

May 14, 2014
Visit site
I have to say that three months on with my 2016 Honda Civic, I'm pleased with Android Auto. After an initial issue with my infotainment screen, it's worked pretty well. Love the voice commands, texting, and music choices. Not perfect, but pretty good.

Posted via the Android Central App

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
Been using AA for 2 weeks since I got my 2016 Golf. The only complaint I have is when I say 'Get me to (specific address)' it says it doesn't understand my request. Using google now on my phone it works all the time, I just assumed google now works identically on both phone and AA but doesn't seem to be the case.

scott_0

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Been using AA for 2 weeks since I got my 2016 Golf. The only complaint I have is when I say 'Get me to (specific address)' it says it doesn't understand my request. Using google now on my phone it works all the time, I just assumed google now works identically on both phone and AA but doesn't seem to be the case.

have you tried "navigate to"

Ian B

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
I am please with it on my 2016 accord honda ex sedan but, hate when sometimes I get the notification of incoming text but, no sound. Other times, I get no notification or sound for incoming text. I find out when I turn car off and unplug. Works best w my nexus 5, does not recognized Lg G3, so so with nexus 6p and note 5.

Ian B

anon(871934)

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Did the short cable impact your battery on your phone at all? I have the LG G4 in a 2015 Hyundai Sonata and I cannot use Android auto without my phone battery actually draining while connected. It won't even maintain the battery, let alone charge it.

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
Did the short cable impact your battery on your phone at all? I have the LG G4 in a 2015 Hyundai Sonata and I cannot use Android auto without my phone battery actually draining while connected. It won't even maintain the battery, let alone charge it.

I am using a very short cable (2 inch), my 2016 VW Golf charges my S6 (and quite fast considering its not a fast charging cable)

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
Where did you get the cable?

Honestly i cant recall, i went throgh my drawer and grabbed the shortest cables i had...possibly from my older Sony bluetooth headphone charging cable. its not a speciall cable by any means, it feels cheap.

Tom Westrick

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site

It doesn't drain my battery, but I don't think the cable I have is USB C compliant because it will attempt to quick charge, even though the source doesn't support quick charge. I have a set of cables that have been confirmed as compliant on the way.

Here's a set of short cables I used with my Moto X 2015 https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/ya/ref...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU5109995

theelite1x87

Trusted Member
Sep 23, 2010
Visit site

I previously used a G4 in my 2016 Sonata. It always maintained battery. Never drained. But...something changed at some point because after a month or so it would drain. But only while using nav. It shouldn't do that as it's suppose to use the car gps. When using for music stuff it'll hold steady or slowly charge. The USB in the car only supplies 500mAh. But since the screen is always off that should prevent it from draining at least. I think there is a bug in AA as my V10 does the same thing. It slowly charged when used for music. But when used for nav it instead drained. Drained at a noticeable rate even. I plan to track the batteries mAh charge and draining via a battery widget next time and see why it's draining as if it's not even plugged in. Perhaps the phone stops drawing the right current?

NeatoBandido

Jan 6, 2016
Visit site
I previously used a G4 in my 2016 Sonata. It always maintained battery. Never drained. But...something changed at some point because after a month or so it would drain. But only while using nav. It shouldn't do that as it's suppose to use the car gps. When using for music stuff it'll hold steady or slowly charge. The USB in the car only supplies 500mAh. But since the screen is always off that should prevent it from draining at least. I think there is a bug in AA as my V10 does the same thing. It slowly charged when used for music. But when used for nav it instead drained. Drained at a noticeable rate even. I plan to track the batteries mAh charge and draining via a battery widget next time and see why it's draining as if it's not even plugged in. Perhaps the phone stops drawing the right current?

Finally someone that has my issue. Im a new AA user and whenever i use google maps it drains noticeably. When using maps for a hour drive itll take about 10-13% off my battery while plugged in through the stock USB port. If im playing just music on Spotify and no location services on itll either hold steady or MAYBE charge 1-2% over the course of 30-40 minute drive. Plain and simply the stock USb ports dont have the required amperage to catch up with newer phones power hungry demands.

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
Even with my G4, the short cheap cable doesn't drain the battery even when using Google maps navigation (my car doesn't have nav)...can't say I've experienced the same problems you guys are having.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress