Android Auto without USB cable (S8+ and Honda Accord 2018)

srv

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site
Hello,

I have a 2018 Honda Accord and a Samsung Galaxy S8+. The S8+ paired with the Accord over Bluetooth without problems, but this only gave a limited connection between the phone and car (e.g., music and making calls). I then connected the S8+ via USB cable and installed all of the relevant apps, giving full Android Auto functionality (e.g., navigation on the Accord screen).

However, functionality is still limited if I'm only connected via Bluetooth. If I want to run Android Auto and navigate on the Accord screen using my phone's GPS and Maps, it only seems to work if the S8+ is connected via USB. Is this the way it is supposed to work? I'd rather run this over Bluetooth instead of physically connecting the phone to the car, especially because the USB port on Samsung phones never seems to last all that long.

Thanks!

Uncle Eliot

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
You need to be connected via USB.

I've had several Accords, in fact, I recently got the 2018, and have rarely had issues with my Note 5 and now Note 8 when connected using the phone's cable. I'm curious as to what USB issues you've had as this has never been an issue for me.

srv

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for your reply. I guess that means I'll be using the cable and hoping the port lasts.

My S8+ is my first phone with the new USB-C port, but my previous phones (S6, S4) and those of my family members (also S6) all had the port on the phone loosen over time. At first the cable would not stay in firmly, but it would still make the connection, but over time one could not make a USB connection at all - all within two years of purchase. It's a pretty common problem with micro-USB (lots of folks complaining about it out there) but maybe the newer port format will be more resilient. I try to use wireless charging to avoid this problem now, but Android Auto means I'll be plugging in the phone every day.

Uncle Eliot

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
Wireless AA will be coming just not too soon from what I've read. IMO, plugging in the phone, although not as convenient as wireless, is well worth the teeny effort. AA has been great for me. I hope you'end up being as pleased as I am.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Wireless AA will be coming just not too soon from what I've read

And it will require hardware support on the car side, likely with a software update from the manufacturer if it has the hardware but not yet supported (so good luck there if the vehicle doesn't support it)...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drkrleitch