Whats Revolutionary About iPhone 5?

g1toevo678

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Anyone over the age of 18 arguing with another adult about having a better phone obviously left HS in body only.

Sent from my GT-P6210 using Tapatalk 2

anon(883913)

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Anyone over the age of 18 arguing with another adult about having a better phone obviously left HS in body only.

Sent from my GT-P6210 using Tapatalk 2

Not necessarily, it just means they are a true geek at heart! I wouldn't even consider that a bad thing as long as you aren't 40 years old, live at home with your mother and have no friends or life lol

Irvgotti

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Its a good thing. Competition. That's what drive them to make better products. I like the discussions. No different than any other discussion about what's better

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Wow. What a total turd thread. To each his own I guess.

The op mentions iPhone users not knowing what's under the hood.

Does he know the iPhone 5 is the first device to hit the market with a Cortex A15 CPU?

I'm sure he also knew the iPhone 5 is the first device to come to market with an in cell display.

I could go on and on. Take your ignorance (op) and educate yourself before spewing your fanboy rhetoric.

Spec wars are for the fanboys who need to measure to make themselves feel good about what they have.

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
Spec wars are for the fanboys who need to measure to make themselves feel good about what they have.
Exactly. Most people only care about the features of the phone and what it can do. That's why the iPhone 5 is such a disappointment (even to a lot of Apple fans) and is inferior to the S3. It's playing catch-up.

For those that don't care about features and just want user-friendliness, get the iPhone. More power to you.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Exactly. Most people only care about the features of the phone and what it can do. That's why the iPhone 5 is such a disappointment (even to a lot of Apple fans) and is inferior to the S3. It's playing catch-up.

For those that don't care about features and just want user-friendliness, get the iPhone. More power to you.

I think you're totally missing the point of my comment. It's usually the Android fanboys that play up the specs because that's how they assume Android is winning.

"My phone has a 4.8 inch screen! Ha. The iPhone only went up to 4 inches!"

"I have a quad-core processor. That new iPhone only has a dual-core."

Etc. Etc.

But there's more to it than specs - ecosystem, user experience, ease of use, hackability...

It's like some on the Android side complain about the elitist attitude some iPhone owners have, yet some on the Android side use pure specs to make themselves feel like elitists over the iPhone.

Last edited:

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
Yeah i didnt realize my mistake until it was too late. Ignore that.

I will say though there's people like that on both sides. Just like there are fanboys on both sides of every other "X vs Y"

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D X515a using Android Central Forums

anon(883913)

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I think you're totally missing the point of my comment. It's usually the Android fanboys that play up the specs because that's how they assume Android is winning.

"My phone has a 4.8 inch screen! Ha. The iPhone only went up to 4 inches!"

"I have a quad-core processor. That new iPhone only has a dual-core."

Etc. Etc.

But there's more to it than specs - ecosystem, user experience, ease of use, hackability...

It's like some on the Android side complain about the elitist attitude some iPhone owners have, yet some on the Android side use pure specs to make themselves feel like elitists over the iPhone.

Android still wins in just about all of the mentioned categories.

Specs - We obviously win here

Ecosystem - Android is more open allowing for more app markets and competition between vendors thus driving the prices of apps, services, etc down while Apple is closed and Apple is the only vendor of apps forcing you to pay their price for an app, feature and they can put whatever price they want because there is no other way for you to get that app.

User Experience - This kinda ties into ease of use but I'll keep them separate for now. They're kinda a tie, Android offers more integration between apps giving a more united feeling while Apple makes every developer have their own way of doing something. (example, you want to upload a picture to Instagram, you can't do it from the gallery instead you have to fire up instagram and use their upload service which is a completely different process than say uploading to twitter or Facebook.)

Ease of Use - Everyone assumes iOS to be easier to use and on some levels it is however it is also more complicated in certain area. It requires more apps to do things because advance features that even the tech illiterate know how to do are missing. My mother who has an Android device didn't require any lessons on how to work the basics of android because they're self explanatory while she can't get to the dialer on my Dad's iPhone without asking for help)

Hackability - Do I even need to discuss this one?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Android still wins in just about all of the mentioned categories.

Specs - We obviously win here

Ecosystem - Android is more open allowing for more app markets and competition between vendors thus driving the prices of apps, services, etc down while Apple is closed and Apple is the only vendor of apps forcing you to pay their price for an app, feature and they can put whatever price they want because there is no other way for you to get that app.

User Experience - This kinda ties into ease of use but I'll keep them separate for now. They're kinda a tie, Android offers more integration between apps giving a more united feeling while Apple makes every developer have their own way of doing something. (example, you want to upload a picture to Instagram, you can't do it from the gallery instead you have to fire up instagram and use their upload service which is a completely different process than say uploading to twitter or Facebook.)

Ease of Use - Everyone assumes iOS to be easier to use and on some levels it is however it is also more complicated in certain area. It requires more apps to do things because advance features that even the tech illiterate know how to do are missing. My mother who has an Android device didn't require any lessons on how to work the basics of android because they're self explanatory while she can't get to the dialer on my Dad's iPhone without asking for help)

Hackability - Do I even need to discuss this one?

I hope you didn't think that by listing ecosystem, user experience, ease of use, and hackability I was inferring that Apple and iOS win on every single category.

Specs - sure Android wins for the most part, but there's still plenty of crap Android devices that can give end-users a poor experience which could turn them away from Android altogther. (Specs don't matter, ok.. specs matter to a point, but that's not really relevant.)

Ecosystem - More app markets doesn't necessarily mane for a better experience here. Weren't there problems with Google Play trying to update apps that someone got off of the Amazon Android App Store? Leads to confusion. The integration with the OS does give Android an advantage but different implementations by the OEMs could confuse users (menu key anyone?). And if you think I'm talking solely about apps, you're missing the bigger picture. Cases. Docks. All of those hardware accessories. Easier to find for iPhones. Better selection too.

User Experience - As someone previously mentioned, if you do thing's Apple's way, things will go relatively smoothly for you. iPhones are relatively simple to use. The learning curve for Android is greater, IMO, especially with OEMs able to build their own experiences on top of Android. And no, using an iPhone doesn't imply you're stupid, or simple minded. You don't need to be a tech geek to use a smartphone.

Ease of Use - Ties somewhat to the user experience. One thing Apple has over Android here is consistency. If you've used an iPhone, picking up any other iOS device will feel normal to you. But look at Android. There a good chunk of Froyo devices out there. Gingerbread is still big. ICS is gaining. Then add all of the manufacturer customizations. There's a reason why my mom has an iPhone and iPad and not a RAZR and XOOM.

Hackability - Go ahead and give that one to Android.

But here's the thing. Different strokes for different folks. Some people just want an iPhone and really, there is no reason to hate them with the passion a lot of people here display.

And if you say "well they hate on us all the time", that doesn't really matter. That's Samsung's "we think you copied everyone else so we're going to copy you" argument.

Be happy with what you've got.

Lodingi

Q&A Team
Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
Well I think I finally understand the Android user's frustration. You have all this horsepower. You have a quad core processor, 2 gigs of ram...blah blah.

And yet you still cannot get the same responsive, fluid experience the average iOS user gets with half the power.

Now I see. You're not angry towards Apple. You're mad at Android. I coulda had a V8! Doh!

hezx

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
Well I think I finally understand the Android user's frustration. You have all this horsepower. You have a quad core processor, 2 gigs of ram...blah blah.

And yet you still cannot get the same responsive, fluid experience the average iOS user gets with half the power.

Now I see. You're not angry towards Apple. You're mad at Android. I coulda had a V8! Doh!

Well at least android company's don't boast outdated hardware as the best thing.

Their OS doesn't even need a dual core. All they would need is a upgraded GPU and they would have been fine. Their OS is so simple that it.doesn't need any power to run.

Now back to the boasting old hardware. They call it a new revolutionary design....... Nope..... looks the same as your 4s only..... bigger screen.... with a stupid resolution to boot..... I'm juat going to call it the 4S2 from now on.

Nothing is different.... same old crap from Apple. Over priced piece of silicone and plastic with old hardware.

No thanks.... I'll take my newer hardware and a open source OS

Sent from my LG-LS840 using Android Central Forums

Lodingi

Q&A Team
Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
Well at least android company's don't boast outdated hardware as the best thing.

Their OS doesn't even need a dual core. All they would need is a upgraded GPU and they would have been fine. Their OS is so simple that it.doesn't need any power to run.

Now back to the boasting old hardware. They call it a new revolutionary design....... Nope..... looks the same as your 4s only..... bigger screen.... with a stupid resolution to boot..... I'm juat going to call it the 4S2 from now on.

Nothing is different.... same old crap from Apple. Over priced piece of silicone and plastic with old hardware.

No thanks.... I'll take my newer hardware and a open source OS

Sent from my LG-LS840 using Android Central Forums

And you've just proven you are a total fanboy who knows nothing. Good job.

Ogabriel

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I must say I hate IPhones! Last week I bought an Huawei Ascend G300, and it has Android 2.3 on it. it's wonderfull.
Since the start of 2011 I had HTC Radar, a Palm Pre 2, an IPhone 4S and now the Huawei Ascend G300.
The only phones that I liked were the Huawei and the Palm! with these 2 phones I had total control over them. I was able to overclock them, to install third party apps and pretty much do all I wanted with them! I have a lot of free time at work so I experiment. With the IPhone you can't do all of that! It's plain boring!!!! "OOOO but mine has Retina display!!!", so what can you do with it if you don't have the framework to push it to the edge, to see what it actually can do!
Android has the widgets which I think it's the best thing since the Internet was created! I had a great surprise when I got my hands on the Android device! I truly thing that in max 2 years they will overcome all other operating systems, and won't have 68% of the world market they will have at least 95%.
The iOs is a cute OS but doesn't offer much, you don't fell like you have control over the phone, you don't have the same experience as you do with an Android device or with a webOS device! and if Android would have the multitasking that webOS has, it would be the best OS, and not even the iOS fans would have something to say.

Lodingi

Q&A Team
Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
There is nothing wrong with Android. I enjoy the Android devices I have. I also enjoy my iPhone 4S. I believe I will also enjoy the Lumia 920, should it come to Verizon. I guess I just don't understand the baseless rhetoric. **shrugs**

jonathanm1978

Super-elite full-time dad
Jan 20, 2011
Visit site

Does he know the iPhone 5 is the first device to hit the market with a Cortex A15 CPU?

I'm sure he also knew the iPhone 5 is the first device to come to market with an in cell display.

I could go on and on. Take your ignorance (op) and educate yourself before spewing your fanboy rhetoric.

Isn't every device that has the first CPU of that particular kind the first to hit the market? And it's an A6, NOT A15. If you're going to be a smartass, at LEAST be correct in it?

I'm sure you also know that the iPhone 5 is the FIFTH damn iphone that they still cant make a TRUE HD display, when there is no other phone on the market today without an HD display. So simple...everyone throws around that word "simple" with their out of the box logic..and you can't get HD video on the display? Not to mention the other things that pail in comparison with what is CURRENT. For a supposed next-gen device, it's outdated before it even ships, and still lags behind in this tech world we live in today.
(For people to "NOT" care so much about what's inside the phone, people sure do defend it, and even with bull things like "it has an A15 proc")

Isn't the A6 already in the macbook of some sort too?

Attachments

• apple.PNG
    apple.PNG
    18.3 KB · Views: 72

anon(883913)

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Everyone thinks since it's Retina it is automatically Co and special when it's really just a word that Apple made up and it should mean, "your such an idiot because you bought a phone with hardware that is a year out of date and you still think it's the best" I love it how all the Apple people think their display can do HD movies and I even had one of my iSheep friends says his 4S does 1080p. Let's just say I had the sudden feeling to smack the iPhone out of his hand!!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

Lodingi

Q&A Team
Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
Isn't every device that has the first CPU of that particular kind the first to hit the market? And it's an A6, NOT A15. If you're going to be a smartass, at LEAST be correct in it?

I'm sure you also know that the iPhone 5 is the FIFTH damn iphone that they still cant make a TRUE HD display, when there is no other phone on the market today without an HD display. So simple...everyone throws around that word "simple" with their out of the box logic..and you can't get HD video on the display? Not to mention the other things that pail in comparison with what is CURRENT. For a supposed next-gen device, it's outdated before it even ships, and still lags behind in this tech world we live in today.
(For people to "NOT" care so much about what's inside the phone, people sure do defend it, and even with bull things like "it has an A15 proc")

That is true. That information came out after the post. The iPhone 5 however, does not lag behind any device, in any way. So it doesn't have a true HD display. Who needs it? I don't.

The problem with Android fanboys is they label everyone stupid, simply because Apple didn't make the device to their (your) liking. Because you don't like it, doesn't make it a bad or out dated device. Sorry.

Lodingi

Q&A Team
Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
Everyone thinks since it's Retina it is automatically Co and special when it's really just a word that Apple made up and it should mean, "your such an idiot because you bought a phone with hardware that is a year out of date and you still think it's the best" I love it how all the Apple people think their display can do HD movies and I even had one of my iSheep friends says his 4S does 1080p. Let's just say I had the sudden feeling to smack the iPhone out of his hand!!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

I never said it was the best, and I am not an idiot. Is that your best?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Be careful before you go out calling someone names. At least be correct about it.

The original thinking about Apple's A6 SoC was that it was using a Cortex-A15 core. But--

AnandTech - The iPhone 5's A6 SoC: Not A15 or A9, a Custom Apple Core Instead

The A6 is the first Apple SoC to use its own ARMv7 based processor design. The CPU core(s) aren't based on a vanilla A9 or A15 design from ARM IP, but instead are something of Apple's own creation.

The display is 4 inches. Let's take a look at the meaning behind the meaning of a "retina" display.

Apparently people only factor in PPI when talking about these high resolution display. What they don't take into account is viewing distance. A cell phone is normally held about 10 to 15 inches away from your eyes. At a certain distance, the human eye cannot see the indivdual pixels. I think it's about 280 PPI. Anything higher really is just a waste.

Why Your HDTV Is Already A Retina Display

Same reason why there's nothing wrong with the 4 inch DROID Incredible 4G LTE with it's qHD display. Some people just don't need super large screens.

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site

Actually if you go to Apple's website they mention it only has an a6

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drkrleitch