stock apps crashing. please help.

stalemate1

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
The stock apps on my phone keep crashing, stock apps include settings and WiFi hotspot tethering.

Also sometimes when I exit an app, my launcher/UI overly reloads, so once I exit I have to wait about 8 seconds for my home screen to become usable again. I have done many factory resets and sent my phone into virgin several times....I don't know what to do, please help.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Hello,

Which device do you have exactly? What launcher are you running, stock or 3rd party?

Also what is your current memory left on the device? Check this by going into Settings/Storage/

Anything else that could be of help to troubleshoot would be great.

stalemate1

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Hello,

Which device do you have exactly? What launcher are you running, stock or 3rd party?

Also what is your current memory left on the device? Check this by going into Settings/Storage/

Anything else that could be of help to troubleshoot would be great.

About device: HTC EVO 3D running ics with sense 3.6 (everything is stock)

Available onboard (internal device storage) is 202MB.

The Android version is 4.0.3

If it helps I can give you the kernel version, IMEI, SN (htc always ask for this)

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure about the hotspot issue. But the reloading home screen (launcher) is likely a memory issue. That can be fixed by clearing any apps that are running and clearing cache of your apps via system settings - applications.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

stalemate1

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
I'm not sure about the hotspot issue. But the reloading home screen (launcher) is likely a memory issue. That can be fixed by clearing any apps that are running and clearing cache of your apps via system settings - applications.

Thanks, but how is this possible if I have 202MB RAM remaining ? Does RAM get used up fast ? Eg I open 4 apps and the resources they need finish my RAM, or is this unrealistic ?

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I have no idea why that would happen. If you have the home screen filled with apps, widgets you'll have this problem, especially if there are several processes running. Did doing any of my suggestions help?

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, but how is this possible if I have 202MB RAM remaining ? Does RAM get used up fast ? Eg I open 4 apps and the resources they need finish my RAM, or is this unrealistic ?

You had stated earlier that the 202mb was your internal storage. That number sounds about right to me. Internal storage and ram are two different components. I'm unsure how much ram the evo 3d shipped with, but given that it is basically a 3d enabled evo 4g it doesn't have that much after sense gets ahold of it.

The earlier versions of sense are notorious for being ram hogs, and I'm willing to bet that htc shipped the phone with low ram like they did to the evo 4g. If you run a third party launcher like apex or nova, you can set it to force remain in memory, mimicking what system apps do. This will stop all of the home screen redraws, but will also use more ram.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

stalemate1

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
You had stated earlier that the 202mb was your internal storage. That number sounds about right to me. Internal storage and ram are two different components. I'm unsure how much ram the evo 3d shipped with, but given that it is basically a 3d enabled evo 4g it doesn't have that much after sense gets ahold of it.

The earlier versions of sense are notorious for being ram hogs, and I'm willing to bet that htc shipped the phone with low ram like they did to the evo 4g. If you run a third party launcher like apex or nova, you can set it to force remain in memory, mimicking what system apps do. This will stop all of the home screen redraws, but will also use more ram.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

On the box it says it has a total of a gig of RAM, but it only reads a maximum of 756 MB, 202MB is what my memory manager says is left/remaining...

I will mention that I only started to experience ALL these problems a while after I did an OTA from gingerbread and sense 3.0 to ics and sense 3.6, before the OTA my device was perfect.

stalemate1

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
I have no idea why that would happen. If you have the home screen filled with apps, widgets you'll have this problem, especially if there are several processes running. Did doing any of my suggestions help?

Even with few widgets its still does it, Im using apex now to try and fix the problem but I struggle to add widgets, I open the widgets menu and it opens for a millisecond and disappears/crashes. I try again and again and get the same result. Also my stock apps crashing problem is still there, Thanks for the suggestions and ideas. :) it's helps me trouble shoot.

stalemate1

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for your help guys.

I'm glad to inform you that I managed to fix it, as soon as I uninstalled avast agent and stayed away from launchers my phone is excellent and running fine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress