Droid DNA vs HTC One

JediKnightVII

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Hello all,

I bought a Droid Incredible the day it launched, and while it's served as a great phone, it has recently started to show its age, particularly with all the new devices coming out. Two phones have caught my attention, the Droid DNA and the HTC One. I've been hard-pressed to pick one, they both seem to be great phones. My carrier is Verizon, and I realize the HTC One hasn't been announced for this network yet, but I wouldn't want to buy a DNA only to have a better phone come out in a few weeks. Are there any large differences between the two phones, or are they fairly similar? Any advice is appreciated.

atomic_squid

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
The One has a more powerful processor, a different camera, the speakers up front, and a whole smorgasbord of other features. The DNA, however, has inductive charging, and they both share similar screens, though the DNA is a bit bigger. Also, the One is more likely to be supported longer due to its newness and wider spread across carriers, and hence its larger customer base. I'd go with the One, but I doubt Verizon has it because HTC finally drew the line on its ridiculous customization and branding. If you're set on Big Red, you're stuck.

:cool: Sent from my One X, rooted, ROMmed, and S-off! :cool:

skoolboi

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Hopefully HTC has learned it's lesson with releasing model after model after model. with that being said there will always be the "next, newest, fastest, best" android phone released in due time. I don't think that should be you deciding factor. I think because of the recent release of the HTC DNA verizon chose to skip the HTC ONE. I think HTC will be committed to supporting the DNA and it will receive a successor in due time. If you are committed to verizon and htc I think the DNA will be fine. If you don't have any loyalty to verizon this go with the latest in greatest. The HTC one does have some standout differences but with them only being a few months apart nothing worth writing home about. perform gains will be negligible.

JediKnightVII

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the input. I've been with Verizon for a few years now, and had the unlimited date plan before they changed it, so I think it's in my best interest to stick with them. I use a lot of data on my phone, so losing that really doesn't make much sense. One complaint I have about my Droid Incredible is that there didn't seem to be as many accessories as I initially thought there would be: no charging dock, etc. I realize the Droid DNA has just been released, and that it will take some time for accessories to be released, I just hope they actually materialize this time, and don't get cancelled.

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
The HTC one has a smaller screen with a denser pixel arrangement, dual front facing speaker, and a different camera that has less megapixels but a new theory of superpixels that take in more light and are supposed to allow for taking of better low light images. It is made entirely of aluminum with a slightly faster processor, a slightly larger battery and updated chip, and a new version of sense called blinkfeed. The DNA has a larger screen at 5", and has a quad core processor much like the one. It also has inductive charging, and is a hella sexy phone. The back of the phone is a very nifty soft touch finish, and the red grills on the sides add a touch of uniqueness while showing off that you have a Verizon flagship. The experience of the two devices won't be much different, honestly, minus the new UI. They will both be noticeably fast, slick phones, with incredible screens.

Sent from my Verizon Droid DNA

landofthedroid

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Oh ok. The reason why I asked is that my dad has the incredible 2 which is 3g only. When we have called Verizon to see if they can swap his out with a 4g phone while still keeping his unlimited they have refused. I never understood that since the 4g phone has been paid for and is not under contract.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

anon(469638)

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Sure the One is slightly better on paper. It's newer.

That doesn't make the DNA obsolete by any means though. There are plenty of case and accessories available for it and it is still an awesome phone.

If you really want to get a new phone and want a deluge of accessories, I'd wait for the S4. It's the only phone besides Apples that will see nearly as many add on's.

JediKnightVII

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I've looked into the Galaxy S3 a bit, to get a brief look at what the S4 could be, and I have to say, I'm not a fan of TouchWiz; I much prefer Sense. I can't quite put my finger on it, but HTC's Sense just makes "sense", it feels good and natural. Unless there are roms out there that replace the TouchWiz on Samsung phones, I have a feeling I'll be sticking with HTC.

frellingfrakker

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the input. I've been with Verizon for a few years now, and had the unlimited date plan before they changed it, so I think it's in my best interest to stick with them. I use a lot of data on my phone, so losing that really doesn't make much sense. One complaint I have about my Droid Incredible is that there didn't seem to be as many accessories as I initially thought there would be: no charging dock, etc. I realize the Droid DNA has just been released, and that it will take some time for accessories to be released, I just hope they actually materialize this time, and don't get cancelled.

You're going to lose your unlimited data regardless. If you go from a 3g phone to a 4g phone they'll make you move to a share plan, even if you pay full retail.