Been following the "Anti-Theft" conversation?

blackdogAC

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Police trying to get Federal legislation mandating Anti-theft measures due to huge increase in phone thefts. From what I read, they want something where user can remotely wipe data and render the device inoperable. Seems fine in theory. There obviously are apps already that can wipe data remotely.

Here's what I wonder about:
1. The remote triggering relies on active data connection so the first thing a thief will do is attempt to bypass password protection and go to airplane mode. Assuming this occurs, the remote triggering is not going to happen, right? Also, if they can get the phone turned off right after theft occurs, then they can tackle hacking it later and not have the remote trigger occur. Also, they could put the phone into a container that will not pass radio waves and then go to a place like a basement where there is no data reception.
2. So, now the phone has been stolen, data connection turned off, and on someone's bench. Within months, they are going to have a hack that bypasses anything that was put into place within the last 6 months, right? This is just the way of the world.

am I missing something?

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Yup the E911 circuit which can turn on and use any and all attached devices remotely as long as there is power. Now see the reason for none removable batteries.

FYI airplane mode doesn't turn off data completely just reduces use to just maintaining a connection.

Plus the Government is trying to get legislation to use the equipment already there to do so called anti-theft measures. The E911 circuit has its own firmware so it doesn't even need the host OS to run.

blackdogAC

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
So what exactly does that mean, that the thief really cannot disable the anti-protection measure IF the battery is non-removable?

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Well only the Government has access to E911 circuit atm so private companies won't have this level of access. The original reason for the E911 circuit was to be able to gather information for legal cases. Example someone calls 911 because a mugger is chasing them but gets shot before saying anything. The E911 circuit can provide GPS location, camera footage, sound recordings, etc. For reasons of evidence gathering but I think we can see how it can also be abused.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress