New Tab A start up problems

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Hi All,
A bit of frustration here, but first let me confess that I am old and have difficulty with touch screen devices at the best of times. I just bought a new Samsung Galaxy Tab A model SMT580 and I can't seem to get past first base , well maybe second. On first power up it was able to connect to my Wifi. Then it asks me to log in with a Google account that has been used with this machine before. Well, it's a new machine, so don't have an account that has been used before, and for that matter, I didn't think I had a Google account, but that's not for lack of trying. After many attempts to sign in with what I think should work it looks like the machine gave up on me and said I should try again in 24 hours. That's a bit of a drag, but I can live with it if there is a chance that I can get it to work then. In the mean time I was able to create a Google account on my PC and after creation, actually be able to log in. I was also able to log in on my iPhone. The Tab A still won't let me log in, but the 24 hours hasn't expired yet. Any advice for this old newbie?
Thanks,
Robert Hiebert

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! If the tablet was asking for the Google account that's associated with it the very first time you powered it up, that means it's not brand new. It was likely pre-owned (or, in the worst case, stolen merchandise passed off as "new"), and the previous owner never properly removed their account prior to doing a factory reset. This is called Factory Reset Protection, and is a way to discourage a thief from stealing a device and doing a simple factory reset to make it their own.

Contact the seller and let them know that your tablet is not brand new, and appears to have been pre-owned. Ask them for an exchange or refund.

Please register on this forum, which will allow you to engage in discussion more easily, as well as post images. https://forums.androidcentral.com/ask-question/409154-join-android-central-community.html

May 20, 2020
Visit site
Thanks for the prompt reply. I think I'm signed up already. Anyway, the phone is a "scratch and dent" from Amazon, so I assume that it has been used before, but that's OK with me as long as it works. What should I do now?
Regards,
Robert

May 20, 2020
Visit site
OOps . I wa mistaken, I bought it from The Source. I will contact them. Thanks again
Regards,
OOPs I was wrong, I bought it from The Source, I will contact them.
Regards,
Oops. I made a mistake. I bought it from The source. I will contact them. Robert

May 20, 2020
Visit site
Well, I contacted The Source. They said I should contact Samsung Support. After half an hour chatting with a machine, I think, bottom line is I have to send it to a service centre somewhere and pay an unknown amount to do something I have no idea what they have to do. So, my question is, if the machine has been reset, does it have to go back to Samsung to reset it so it can be used? If that is the case I'll just return it to The Source.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
That's not particularly good customer service on The Source's part. From what you're describing, the device that you paid for was (a) pre-owned and not brand new, and (b) not properly reset such that the previous Google account associated with the device was appropriately removed. It is incumbent on the seller to make sure the device is usable for the buyer, since there's no way for you to test it out before you buy it (which is always a good idea when buying from a private seller face-to-face, but clearly not possible when you're ordering online). They sold you an unusable device -- it has nothing to do with a manufacturer's defect.

I would recommend contacting The Source's customer support again, and emphasize that what you received does not fit the description of the item when you bought it (unless there were obvious disclaimers that the device was being sold as is, and was not guaranteed to work). You can tell them that from your research, the fact that the device immediately asked for the previously associated Google account is clear evidence that someone had it before you, and that the Google account wasn't properly removed. This is a security measure, and there's no legitimate way around it. Heck, you have my permission to copy and paste this post into whatever communication you have with them.:)

If they still refuse to help, then consider contacting the Canadian Better Business Bureau, or file a complaint here: https://www.canada.ca/en/services/finance/consumer-affairs.html

May 20, 2020
Visit site
Thanks for your response. That's kind of what I thought happened. 24 hours has passed so I tried again with a good Google account that I just set up on my PC. Same thing, round in circles. When I contacted The Source earlier today they said they would send me return authorisation, but nothing so far. Looks like this could get messy. Robert

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
This kind of thing riles me up.:mad: The key things are to be persistent, but also to remain polite but firm. If you're not getting a reasonable response, then politely ask for a supervisor. (Getting upset or angry with a customer support person is a sure way NOT​ to get the outcome you want.) Good luck!

May 20, 2020
Visit site
Update. So far so good.The return authorisation arrived this morning and the tablet is on its way back to Barrie Ontario. It took 10 days to get here so I expect it will be the same or more to get back. I'm hoping that they can take it to a Samsung service centre and correct the problem as I think the machine should work fine for the intended purpose. Fingers crossed.

May 20, 2020
Visit site
Update 2: To make a long story short. The Source lost my tablet and wouldn't replace it so they gave me a refund. I was able to buy a new Tab A 10.1" from Amazon but I am having some problems getting it to work with the equipment I want it to work with. I think the tablet itself is OK because I was able to get it going and download a couple of Apps that I want to use. It's main purpose is to be used as a digital dashboard for a project vehicle that I have running on Megasquirt. There are two apps that will do this. Shadow Dash and MS Droid which are both Android based. The problem I have is that neither one will connect the controller to the tablet. Connection is made via a USB cable between the tablet and the engine controller. I have tried a direct USB connection, and one that uses a serial/ USB adapter. Neither one will establish communication. Is there a setting on the tablet someplace that I am missing?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non