How do I NOT sync contacts when I add a google account?

HardAsIs

Oct 13, 2020
Visit site
I have seen nothing but workarounds dating back as far as 2014. So tell me, please good people, is it STILL not possible to add a google account without is asking you what to sync?
I have a new Samsung A71 for work and I am adding my google account to it (for play store and gmail and such). I have deleted and re-added so many times. I can only turn off sync for contacts AFTER the fact, and the 98 contacts or whatever stay on my phone. I can't change the display options on my phone app to only show phone contacts, I can't add the account then go to airplane mode, then turn sync off, then turn it back on once I've de-selected it. What am I missing here?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! As far as I know, you have to go to your Settings>Accounts menu, select that Google account, then turn off Contacts sync. If you're using the Google Contacts app, those contacts should disappear. But if you're using a stock contacts app, you might have to go to the Setting>App s menu, select the contacts app, then clear its cache and data.

Please register on this forum, which will allow you to engage in discussion more easily, as well as post images. https://forums.androidcentral.com/ask-question/409154-join-android-central-community.html

Last edited:

HardAsIs

Oct 13, 2020
Visit site
Sorry, I signed up but didn't log in to ask my question! Anyway, here goes again.

I have seen nothing but workarounds dating back as far as 2014. So tell me, please good people, is it STILL not possible to add a google account without is asking you what to sync?
I have a new Samsung A71 for work and I am adding my google account to it (for play store and gmail and such). I have deleted and re-added so many times. I can only turn off sync for contacts AFTER the fact, and the 98 contacts or whatever stay on my phone. I can't change the display options on my phone app to only show phone contacts, I can't add the account then go to airplane mode, then turn sync off, then turn it back on once I've de-selected it. What am I missing here?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Go to settings>accounts >tap your google account> then tap sync account and turn off the toggle for contact or anything else you want.

HardAsIs

Oct 13, 2020
Visit site
Thanks for the reply and moving the question. I can certainly do that, the problem is everything that initially synced is still on the phone. I don't want to have to go through and manually delete 98 contacts. Plus I'm worried if I turn something back on or whatever those will disappear from the cloud side. Any thoughts?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I merged your duplicates and reassigned your original guest post to you. See my initial response above.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
If you don't have any contacts saved to the local Phone/Device account (i.e., if all of your contacts are saved to a cloud account like Google Contacts or your Samsung Cloud), then go to Settings>Apps, tap Menu>Show System, and select Contacts Storage (not Contacts). Then clear the cache/data for that app. When you open the Contacts app again, it should resync contacts with only the cloud contacts you want.

Be aware that if you do have any contacts saved only to the local Phone/Device account, this will probably delete those contacts.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for the reply and moving the question. I can certainly do that, the problem is everything that initially synced is still on the phone. I don't want to have to go through and manually delete 98 contacts. Plus I'm worried if I turn something back on or whatever those will disappear from the cloud side. Any thoughts?
You can delete in samsung contact app by selecting the ones you highlight then press sync

HardAsIs

Oct 13, 2020
Visit site
If you don't have any contacts saved to the local Phone/Device account (i.e., if all of your contacts are saved to a cloud account like Google Contacts or your Samsung Cloud), then go to Settings>Apps, tap Menu>Show System, and select Contacts Storage (not Contacts). Then clear the cache/data for that app. When you open the Contacts app again, it should resync contacts with only the cloud contacts you want.

Be aware that if you do have any contacts saved only to the local Phone/Device account, this will probably delete those contacts.

Yes! Yes! This did the trick. I couldn't find the contact storage and that did it. It deleted my call history too but small price to pay. So silly that we have to go through all this just for that. Thanks again!

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
We don't. Turning off Google sync and deleting all contacts at Google Contacts clears just the contacts in the Google account (but not anything - contacts, call history, anything) on the phone. And stops syncing.

(But ...

When you switch phones, you have to add all your contacts manually - and some people have hundreds (or even thousands) of contacts.

If you lose your phone, it stops working, or it gets corrupted, you lose your contacts [and anything else not synced].)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa