Why is my S4 very hot and having a fast battery drain after KitKat update?

A

AC Question

S4 very hot and fast battery drain after KitKat

Hi, I've had an S4 for well over a year. It's a great phone. Sprint is my carrier. I've been very happy with them. However, after the KitKat update was applied, my phone started heating up and the battery is draining like crazy. I've been carrying spare batteries with me and sometimes I go through four a day. I got a battery monitoring program and it's showing that the drain is coming from software. Specifically either Android System or Kernel (Android OS) depending on the day. Sometimes both are very high. This has ONLY been since KitKat. Any ideas?

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Re: S4 very hot and fast battery drain after KitKat

Hi, I've had an S4 for well over a year. It's a great phone. Sprint is my carrier. I've been very happy with them. However, after the KitKat update was applied, my phone started heating up and the battery is draining like crazy. I've been carrying spare batteries with me and sometimes I go through four a day. I got a battery monitoring program and it's showing that the drain is coming from software. Specifically either Android System or Kernel (Android OS) depending on the day. Sometimes both are very high. This has ONLY been since KitKat. Any ideas?
I would see if a factory reset will assist in this situation.

Sent from my nifty 2 year old AT&T HTC One XL

androidTOP10

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Re: S4 very hot and fast battery drain after KitKat

I have been having the same problem with my Nexus 4. I have tried several battery management apps but they haven't helped much. I guess I will try a factory reset as suggested. Is there any other potential cause? Bad App?

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
^^^Before Factory Resetting, try a Cache Partition wipe, which is much more user-friendly and may just fix the problem. If your problem occurred after an update, please let us know if the wipe fixes it...I tend to believe that a Cache Partition wipe is good practice after a system update but am not really sure whether it's true, so feedback would be welcome!

Posted via Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress