Am I able to swap SIMs on two Verizon Phones and keep unlimited data?

rpk7309

Oct 21, 2014
Visit site
Q Regarding Swapping SIMs on two Verizon Phones to keep unlimited data

My Situation:

I have 1 Verizon account with 2 wireless plans on it
Plan 1: Galaxy Nexus (now eligible for device upgrade) has Unlimited Data
Plan 2: Galaxy S3 (now eligible for device upgrade) has 2GB Data

What I plan to do:

Get Device Upgrade to the S5 on Plan 2, but don't even turn on the new S5 on Plan 2...instead keep the S3 on Plan 2 up and running just like always.
Move the new unactivated S5 to plan 1 (which has unlimited data) and swap the SIM out of the Nexus on plan 1 and put it on the S5

Hopeful End result: No Change in Wireless Plan #1 ...I now have a new S5 on Plan 1, keeping unlimited data on Plan 1 and can ditch the old Nexus.

I didn't think it could be done, but "Method #2" in a recent article in Droid-Life titled "How to: Upgrade Phones at Verizon and Keep Unlimited Data" (and an online chat I had with a Verizon rep) says its can be done.

Here are my questions:

1) I've never had to swap out a SIM before...so I'm not sure of the "activation process" (if any) and if any steps are required to get the phone running (and how the phone "acts" once turned on) after the swap. I do know that the Verizon Nexus and S5 have the exact same size SIM, so swapping is not a problem.

2)To be successful with what I want to do, must i keep the S5 shut off (ie unboxed) until I install the sim from the nexus? or doesnt it matter if it gets initially turned on before the swap or not?

3) The Verizon rep said "yes this is all possible, but I have to call 1-800-922-0204 to activate the new S5 once the SIM is put in it for it to work"...Does calling that # automatically change my plan to a tiered plan, or will calling that # to activate the S5 be no big deal.

Thanks in Advance!

BK

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Q Regarding Swapping SIMs on two Verizon Phones to keep unlimited data

You're missing one step - you have to tell Verizon to change the ESN on account #1 to the S5 - probably killing your unlimited plan. (If the account is using the wrong ESN, the phone will never get or make calls - the encoding is based on the phone's ESN both at the tower and in the phone.)

Find a Verizon store in another town, DON'T give them your phone numbers or name, and ask them if your idea will work. If they get hinky, just walk out.