Why doesn't my Moto X display the lock screen on approach?

swoosh2229

Jan 12, 2015
Visit site
Moto X no longer displays lock screen on approach

First couple days of approaching new phone it would display clock with lock screen. Now it doesn't do anything. I have to push the side button each time. Any ideas?

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Re: Moto X no longer displays lock screen on approach

This could be a couple of things. It could be that you disabled the lock screen in your settings. It's just a checkbox that says no lock screen on wake. It could also be a rogue program keeping your device awake. I know Google Maps will do this if you have opened it and then put your device to sleep, you can reopen the device anytime after that and it will open without the lock screen. I'm just using Maps as an example because I know it will do this but your camera app will also do this and you could have another app doing this as well that I'm not familiar with. Meanwhile the way to check this is to power down the device and restart it, using the restart button may not be enough. Then when you open your device after the restart you should have to use the lock. Once open the app may auto start and from then on you wouldn't need to use the lock anymore. To narrow down the app responsible power down the device and restart, goto your app manager, running tab, and note the items there. Upon start up there shouldn't be too much running. When the issue returns go back to that same area and note your apps running, compare the two lists and see what is now running that wasn't before and that should give you a place to start. Android doesn't usually get viruses, so I wouldn't install any anti virus apps, battery saver, or memory saver apps either. They really aren't needed and haven't been since Eclare, however I could see such an app causing an issue like this, because they do run all the time in the background... Food for thought. AirPush may help you identify rogue apps as well. It isn't an AV app or anything it mostly looks at permissions and identifies apps with "questionable" permissions and lets you make your own choices.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Moto X no longer displays lock screen on approach

It sounds more like a sensor gone bad. (I don't know the Moto X - I can approach my Note 3, wave at it, yell at it and the screen still stays dark, but evcidently the X senses your approach and turns the screen on.) If it's under warranty, ask for a repair or replacement. If not, learn to live with it (like everyone with other phones does) or decide if it's worth paying what it will cost to repair to get that one minor function back.

Unless I'm completely missing what you're saying. VidJunky is telling you what to do if the screen stays lit all the time. From what I read, you WANT it to light up when you come near it, without having to touch it.

Edit:
Unless there's a setting to turn the function on and off, and you accidentally turned it off. It would probably be in Settings/Device in Display or Lock screen.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463