My phone just wiped itself, can I recover my data?

A

AC Question

My phone just wiped itself.

So I just got done calling my dad, plugged up my phone, and went to go get some phone. When I get back, I check my phone and it's asking me to go through the set up wizard. It's deleted everything! My contacts, apps, everything.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: My phone just wiped itself.

Welcome to Android Central! Ugh, that's not good.:( Which phone is it? This happens on rare occasions for unclear reasons--some kind of catastrophic glitch that forces a hard reset. How old is the phone? If it's pretty new, contact the manufacturer (or your wireless store) and ask about a repair or replacement.

Apps can always be reinstalled, because Google Play (and other app sources like Amazon Appstore) keep track of what you installed. It's always a good idea to associate your Contacts with your Google account, because then they're automatically synced to your Google cloud, and can be accessed anywhere and re-synced to a new or reset phone easily. And this is also a good illustration as to why photos should be backed up regularly, if they're important to you.