Can I get some advice buying my first Android phone please?

A

AC Question

Need advice buying my first Android phone please :)

Hello,

Ive been an iPhone user for many years and would like to give Android a try!

I know nothing about Android other than what ive seen on my friends' and co-workers' phones, but would like to see how much I like the experience vs. iPhone.

I can add a line to our account at AT&T and would like to purchase a Samsung Galaxy s5 on eBay, add the phone to our account and then either keep the phone or sell it back on eBay if I like the iPhone better.

The problem im having is trying to figure out what to look for when buying one on eBay. Is there a certain model, version, or any other characteristic to look for when purchasing? I want to make sure I get the latest version, or at least one that is fairly recent.

Thanks so much for helping me here. Like I said, I am new to this platform and really know next to nothing about Android and the related phones.

take care,

rick

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Re: Need advice buying my first Android phone please :)

Welcome to the forums. It looks like the SM-G900A is the AT&T model. Although, you should be able to use almost any GSM model, but if you can find that one, it would be best; no worries about full compatibility with the network.

greyhoundrick

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site

Thanks so much Golfdriver97. I really appreciate your taking the time to help me! What is your opinion of the Galaxy s5 vs. the iPhone? Thanks again and best to you! rick

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Thanks so much Golfdriver97. I really appreciate your taking the time to help me! What is your opinion of the Galaxy s5 vs. the iPhone? Thanks again and best to you! rick
Not a fair question for me. I don't really care for Apples business model or their devices. I understand that people like them for a number of given reasons, but the device just isn't for me. Every time I pick up my girlfriends iPhone to help her with something, I want to scream....lol.

There is going to be a learning curve; we can help you. You will have questions; we can help you. You will probably be overwhelmed by how different, exciting, and liberating (by means of custom) even a stock Android can be; we can help.

You might arrive at the conclusion that after a few weeks (I suggest at least this long; you are learning a new OS) that the iPhone is right/wrong for you. That's OK. You never know until you try.

I would search the forums for iPhone to android switching, there are many threads. You will find lots of suggestions, different ideas, and numerous approaches. Don't be afraid to ask, and ignore any rude replies. We do try to run and encourage a helpful atmosphere, but there are people who don't wish to play along.

From an AOSP M8

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site

Everything Golfdriver said. May I add that you will have a lot of fun with all you can do with the S5. It's a great phone. As simple as you may want it to be and as complex and flexible as you may need.

Welcome to the forums.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Everything Golfdriver said. May I add that you will have a lot of fun with all you can do with the S5. It's a great phone. As simple as you may want it to be and as complex and flexible as you may need.

Welcome to the forums.

I almost sent a PM to Haalcyon about this thread, as he is one of the few users I know to have used both platforms for a significant amount of time. And almost was I was about to click send, when I realized I needed the thread link.....I thus deleted the PM...lol